This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's sooo hot (I.E. Weather bitch thread)

Comments

• Yeah, store tomatoes generally suck ass in the US.
  • edited September 2014
    And evidently, proper tomato gardening means you will be fucking drowning in tomatoes for relatively little monetary input.

How much goddamn salsa do we have now? I don't even want to think about it.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • And evidently, proper tomato gardening means you will be fucking drowning in tomatoes for relatively little monetary input.

Yes, you will get more tomatoes than you can eat.
  • Gift all the salsa/canned tomatoes to wedding guests.
  • Buy canned tomatoes. 99% of the time they are better than those you find in the veggie area.
  • Apreche said:

And evidently, proper tomato gardening means you will be fucking drowning in tomatoes for relatively little monetary input.

Yes, you will get more tomatoes than you can eat.
    We're trying, man. Our CSA has a You-Pick garden with these awesome cherry tomatoes. There's this one variety called Sun Gold that's absolutely phenomenal for eating by itself. I eat like a fistful of 'em every day.

• It's currently 109 degrees.
  • It's currently 109 degrees.

That's what you get for living in a state where one of the prevailing weather conditions is wild fires.
  • So ready for the fall/clouds/rain.
  • Summer is finally ending in Connecticut in mid-September. I mean, it's still averaging 75 during the day, but it's down to 40 at night. Last year I took the air conditioners out near Halloween. Looks like that'll be tradition now.
  • It's almost time for my first fall! Ever! I am excite!
  • I'm so glad I got to be in Australia for a couple weeks. Just as autumn hit in New York, I got BONUS SUMMER TIME. BEACHES! SWIMMING! HEAT!
  • Yeah I'm going to the desert next week to actually get some sun. Getting a bit of seasonal depression as my body adjusts to the lack of sun so I've been pretty lethargic this last couple weeks.
  • We had a few days of chill, but it really wasn't that bad. We've had several days of 65+ and sunny in late Oct and early Nov, which has cause my weekly Ultimate Frisbee group at work to meet 2-3 times instead of just once, to take advantage of awesome weather. I'd take that over running around in the 90 degree sun anyday.
  • What temperature do people normally keep their houses at? 66-68 is perfect for me, but I keep freezing out my guests.
  • Wyatt said:

What temperature do people normally keep their houses at? 66-68 is perfect for me, but I keep freezing out my guests.

It depends a lot on how good your heating/cooling system and insulation are. If it's shitty, you have to crank it up more when it's cold and turn it down more when it's hot. The primary concern is not letting the pipes freeze.
  • 76*F is where I normally keep my house.
  • Rym said:

76*F is where I normally keep my house.

I do set my AC at 78F, as is recommended by Con Edison.

I don't control my own heat, but I also don't pay for it. They recommend setting 68 during the day and 60 at night or if nobody is home. They say each degree over 68 increases energy usage by 3%.

http://www.coned.com/customercentral/energysavingtips.asp
  • Luckily my apartment is insulated by the other apartments and I like using blankets so I never turn my heat on.
  • My roommate/landlord insists on keeping the house temp at 68 or lower. It's freezing.
    On the upside, no actual winter here in SF!
  • Wyatt said:

What temperature do people normally keep their houses at? 66-68 is perfect for me, but I keep freezing out my guests.

Somewhere between 68 and 72 is generally a good range. If you're cold at that temp, put on a sweater. That's what they're for.

Much colder than 68 and my body can't keep my nose and extremities warm even if I am wearing a sweater.

• 72 when cooling, 68 when heating. I've also been using the Nest thermostat, and generally very pleased with its ability to reduce HVAC energy consumption.
  • My apartment is ridiculously well insulated (outside of the bedroom for whatever reason), so even in the winter it is normally above 72 without needing to turn on any heat. If it does dip below that, we have a gas fireplace that heats up the whole place, which is a huge savings on our electric bill. The AC is running pretty much the whole summer though :/
  • The AC is running pretty much the whole summer though :/

I hear that.
  • 22 is where it's at.
  • You all live in frigid wastelands.
  • Rym said:

You all live in frigid wastelands.

We live in places where unlimited heat isn't rolled into our rent.