This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ecologists Say Driving Mosquitos To Extinction Is A-OK

edited September 2010 in Everything Else
Best news I've ever heard.

Let's kill those fuckers.

Comments

• Let's kill those fuckers.
  • I approve! 100% A+++++++++
  • Why are we not killing them now? KILL KILL KILL these useless bastards!
  • Good god, YES. Drive them into the fucking ground. UGH. ><
  • If it were cute dolphins spreading Malaria and biting, and the ecologists said it was ok, would you guys still be in favor of genocide?
  • If it were cute smallpox spreading smallpox and biting, and the ecologists said it was ok, would you guys still be in favor of genocide?
  • If it were cute dolphins spreading Malaria and biting, and the ecologists said it was ok, would you guys still be in favor of genocide?
    Absolutely. Malaria kills about a million people every year, mostly children, and at this rate the deaths could double within the next 20 years. I'd much rather kill the cute dolphins and save the cute African kids.
    Absolutely.
    Yes. And I only buy tuna that doesn't have the dolphin safe tag on it.
  • They won't wipe them out completely. It will be odd having a species we keep only in captivity on purpose.
    Absolutely.
    Absolutely.
    Yes.
  • No. Dolphins are more intelligent and self aware than human babies.
  • edited September 2010
    Nuke the fuckers and keep their embryos cloned and on ice. Just like smallpox and the Spanish Flu.

Dolphins are also a ridiculous analogy. Like Luke said, they're borderline self-aware. Also, they experience emotions. Mosquitos are just flying syringes that spread like viruses and work on a purely self-serving instinct. All of their predators have greater food sources. We would lose nothing; keeping their genetics around would only be good for building massive vaccine delivery systems in genomically-sterilized mosquitoes.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2010
    No. Dolphins are more intelligent and self aware than human babies.
    Ah, but dolphin babies aren't, so you can just kill the dolphin babies and soon enough there will be no more dolphins.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • They won't wipe them out completely. It will be odd having a species we keep only in captivity on purpose.
    Smallpox comes to mind again.
  • edited September 2010
    If it were cute dolphins spreading Malaria and biting, and the ecologists said it was ok, would you guys still be in favor of genocide?
    The problem with this question is, dolphins are not equivalent. There are not billions of them, they don't fly and get to you anywhere you are. If Dolphins spread Malaria and bite you we would treat them like sharks. If there was billions of them and they flew, we would be super screwed.

What a flying Dolphin might look like.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • If Dolphins spread Malaria and bite you we would treat them like sharks. If there was billions of them and they flew, we would be super screwed.
    SOMEONE FUCKING DRAW THIS
  • If there was billions of them and they flew, we would be super screwed.
    No, because if Ecco taught me anything, it's that a dolphin is the most fragile fucking creature in existence. Fuck you, game.
  • The thought of something the size of a dolphin flying up to me to bite me, or as part of a swarm...I'd say kill them all if something that big tried to land on me and bite me, I don't care how cute it acts...

So what's the word on fleas and ticks? Are those necessary, or can we wipe them from existence along with the mosquitoes?
  • So what's the word on fleas and ticks? Are those necessary, or can we wipe them from existence along with the mosquitoes?
    Also, how about every type of animal that carries deadly poison?
  • So what's the word on fleas and ticks? Are those necessary, or can we wipe them from existence along with the mosquitoes?
    Also, how about every type of animal that carries deadly poison?
    You are not a biologist. You are oversimplifying things without any care as to the gravity and the ridiculous nature of the comparisons you're making.
  • You are not a biologist. You are oversimplifying things without any care as to the gravity and the ridiculous nature of the comparisons you're making.
  • edited September 2010
    You are not a biologist. You are oversimplifying things without any care as to the gravity and the ridiculous nature of the comparisons you're making.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Did I just punch out Cthulhu?
  • You made one good point, don't get cocky.
  • Is ecology understood well enough to do this? We all hate mosquitoes but, really is this a good thing to do? Don't they carry parasites themselves which would then release it into another species because they don't exist to carry it? Just a weird thought.
  • Is ecology understood well enough to do this? We all hate mosquitoes but, really is this a good thing to do? Don't they carry parasites themselves which would then release it into another species because they don't exist to carry it? Just a weird thought.
    NO MORE QUESTIONS! BURN THEMS! BURN THEMS ALL!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Parasites are quite finicky. They're so highly co-evolved to suit their vectors and hosts that any disruption royally fucks the species, since they have no alternative niche to fit. If you want an interesting read on the subject, I recommend Carl Zimmer's Parasite Rex. It gives some fascinating insight into how parasites work and effective methods of dealing with them.
  • Sonohara San was a parasite.