This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I expect to hear AT-ST from all you bat-shat heathens from now on.
    And I expect to hear Tee Eye Eee Fighter from you, too, considering your argument is "You don't say AT ST like that, so you don't say AT AT like that." The Acronym Vs Initialisim argument is useless, as the primary definition of An initialisim is as such
    A name or term formed from the initial letters of a group of words and pronounced as a separate word, as NATO for North Atlantic Treaty Organization; an acronym.
    So, apparently, they're the same thing.

Apparently, According to Lucasfilm, It's AT AT, pronounced like Hat Hat - I'm inclined to go with that, since military slang tends far more towards fewer syllables - two vs four -I'd be inclined to think that a fictional military would follow the same trend. However, if you really want to go with canon...then call them Walkers. They're never called AT-ATs by either pronunciation in the movies, and that's the primary canon.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2011
    Anyone who doesn't pronounce each letter one at a time is wrong. Do you pronounce AT-ST with two syllables? No you don't. Therefore, AT-AT is also four syllables.
    Yeah, this is generally the point I would make.
    The first "AT" in AT-AT and AT-ST stands for the same thing (all terrain), so it is nonsensical to pronounce it differently in either situation. "TIE" has nothing in common with the other two, so Churba's argument fails.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited March 2011
    The first "AT" in AT-AT and AT-ST stands for the same thing (all terrain), so it is nonsensical to pronounce it differently in either situation. "TIE" has nothing in common with the other two, so Churba's argument fails.
    And you fail to get the point. The point is that the pronunciation of AT-ST means nothing to the pronunciation of AT-AT, because they are different things. If you wish to use the argument that they should be pronounced the same despite being different things, then it is equally valid to expect you to say Tee Eye Eee Fighter, as TIE is a initialisim/acronym for Twin Ion Engine, Just as AT-AT is All Terrain Armored Transport, and AT-ST is All Terrain Scout Transport.

And again, I repeat - Apparently, official Lucasfilm word on the issue is AT-AT, not 80-80, and it was never said either way in the movies - only "Walker" or "Imperial walker" - and as Steve Sansweet(Director of Fan Relations) and Chris Serassi (Editor of Lucas Books) said, "When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves — and only the films."

In short, That means that Film < Any bullshit you can come up with, or present from the EU.
    Therefore, Your argument fails, and I expect you to call them Walkers or Imperial Walkers from now on.

If you insist on moving back from the Film canon and into other sources from Lucasfilm/arts/whatever else, then all you can argue is that both are equally valid, as when you get to parts of the canon where it's spoken, such as the Games (Which are C and S canon) where it's pronounced both ways.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited March 2011
    I think it's safe to say that it would be pronounced both ways within the universe as well. Potayto/potahto and all that. I prefer Ay-Tee Ay-Tee because it rolls off the tongue.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Except potahto is wrong
  • Where do I start if I wanna get into Deadpool?
  • Where do I start if I wanna get into Deadpool?
    Deadpool classic should be availiable at your local comic shops, Cable and Deadpool is pretty good, and Deadpool origins is worth the read.
  • edited March 2011
    And again, I repeat - Apparently, official Lucasfilm word on the issue is AT-AT, not 80-80, and it was never said either way in the movies - only "Walker" or "Imperial walker" - and as Steve Sansweet(Director of Fan Relations) and Chris Serassi (Editor of Lucas Books) said, "When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves — and only the films."

In short, That means that Film < Any bullshit you can come up with, or present from the EU.
    Therefore, Your argument fails, and I expect you to call them Walkers or Imperial Walkers from now on.
    Agreed re. the films being the final word, but as you yourself said the films are decidedly silent on the pronunciation of "AT-AT". The discussion is on how to pronounce the abbreviation, not what we should call the walkers. Your argument with respect to TIE fighters is a slippery slope fallacy, and your citation of made-up companies for your argument is decidedly unconvincing; we all know Lucasfilm no longer exists.

My argument is that "AT" is an initialism for all terrain (a general category of Star Wars walkers) that is properly pronounced as "ay tee", and to pronounce it differently in different situations is silly. Furthermore, it would be rather arbitrary to pronounce AT-AT as "ay tee at", since while part-initalism part-acronyms are not unheard of (e.g. JPEG, MS-DOS), they are very rare and I doubt anyone disagrees that "ay tee at" is stupid. Hence "ay tee ay tee" is the most sensible pronunciation.
  • edited March 2011
    Agreed re. the films being the final word, but as you yourself said the films are decidedly silent on the pronunciation of "AT-AT". The discussion is on how to pronounce the abbreviation, not what we should call the walkers. Your argument with respect to TIE fighters is a slippery slope fallacy, and your citation of made-up companies for your argument is decidedly unconvincing; we all know Lucasfilm no longer exists.
    Point taken - but Lucasfilm most certainly still does exist, for two reasons 1)They still exist in all but that stupid "It's terrible that (XYZ) (Had ABC horrible event happen that would result in their death or otherwise prevent them from making) (Horrible movie or movies)" joke, and 2)That joke wasn't even that funny when it was new, now it's just annoying. George Lucas made some bad movies, get over it, for fucks sake. Newsflash - More American Graffiti sucked arse well before he made the prequels, and if not for him and Coppola, Kurosawa's Kagemusha never would have seen the light of day, and the Clone Wars animated series is pretty good, even if they did Kill off Jedi Master Bates. The guy is a mixed bag just like everyone else.

My argument is that "AT" is an initialism for all terrain (a general category of Star Wars walkers) that is properly pronounced as "ay tee", and to pronounce it differently in different situations is silly. Furthermore, it would be rather arbitrary to pronounce AT-AT as "ay tee at", since while part-initalism part-acronyms are not unheard of (e.g. JPEG, MS-DOS), they are very rare and I doubt anyone disagrees that "ay tee at" is stupid. Hence "ay tee ay tee" is the most sensible pronunciation.
    While I still maintain that Millitary slang (And considering fake millitary's slang would likely fit the pattern) leans towards less sylables and therefore, it would likely be AT-AT, Gunter made the point, which is backed up by the C and S canon of the games, that it would be likely pronounced both ways - it's likely and entirely reasonable, one would think, that there are people who prefer both versions in the universe, just as there is in the real world. There's your answer - According to more authoritative sources than anyone here - no matter how they back up their argument - both are used, and one may assume, equally valid.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • The guy is a mixed bag just like everyone else.
    Except for Wes Anderson. He is gold, through-and-through.
  • edited March 2011
    The guy is a mixed bag just like everyone else.
    Except for Wes Anderson. He is gold, through-and-through.
    Damn, it's been about four months since I last watched a Wes Anderson flick. I need to remedy this.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited March 2011
    Point taken - but Lucasfilm most certainly still does exist, for two reasons 1)They still exist in all but that stupid "It's terrible that (XYZ) (Had ABC horrible event happen that would result in their death or otherwise prevent them from making) (Horrible movie or movies)" joke, and 2)That joke wasn't even that funny when it was new, now it's just annoying. George Lucas made some bad movies, get over it, for fucks sake. Newsflash - More American Graffiti sucked arse well before he made the prequels, and if not for him and Coppola, Kurosawa's Kagemusha never would have seen the light of day, and the Clone Wars animated series is pretty good, even if they did Kill off Jedi Master Bates. The guy is a mixed bag just like everyone else.
    I was being hyperbolic, and I think you're the one who needs to get over it; my point was that we shouldn't care about the "official stance".
    , Gunter made the point, which is backed up by the C and S canon of the games, that it would be likely pronounced both ways - it's likely and entirely reasonable, one would think, that there are people who prefer both versions in the universe, just as there is in the real world. There's your answer - According to more authoritative sources than anyone here - no matter how they back up their argument - both are used, and one may assume, equally valid.
    Just because people use both versions in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean some of those people aren't just wrong. In fact, whenever someone pronounces it as "at at" in a Star Wars game, it is in fact a subtle allusion to their stupidity.
  • I was being hyperbolic, and I think you're the one who needs to get over it; my point was that we shouldn't care about the "official stance".
    Then Make your point, instead of the same shitty fucking joke we've been hearing since 2000. Seriously. Make a new joke. It's not fucking hard. Just do us a favor and make it a funny one this time.
    Just because people use both versions in the Star Wars universe doesn't mean some of those people aren't just wrong. In fact, whenever someone pronounces it as "at at" in a Star Wars game, it is in fact a subtle allusion to their stupidity.
    Really? Prove it. Canon - even C and S canon - Beats whatever you make up to make yourself feel better, because it makes everyone else wrong and you right.
  • How much data can be stored on a cassette tape?
  • edited March 2011
    How much data can be stored on a cassette tape?
    It depends on the length you buy. The standard is anywhere between 24 and 45 minutes per side, but you can get larger.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • How much data can be stored on a cassette tape?
    Google thinks of....
  • edited March 2011
    The internet is not known for being concise.

After some research, a standard cassette can hold about 60MB with a read speed of around 17kB/s.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I actually learned a few weeks ago that Google uses offline cassettes to backup Gmail data in case something weird (like a software bug that starts deleting everyone's email) happens.
  • Girls in bow-ties. Hot?
  • Girls in bow-ties. Hot?
    Yes
  • -er than usual?
  • edited March 2011
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited March 2011
    Other people with wanderlust:

Spending a year abroad. Trying to fit all the stuff going to England with me in a 50cu ft pack (65-85 at the absolute maximum). How many weeks of clothes should I pack initially? I'm trying to use the same pack for both my initial trip and return, as well as any backpacking in between. It's an Osprey Atmos.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • How many weeks of clothes should I pack initially?
    You should be able to get by with about a month's worth, maybe two, if you pack them tight - the trick is that anything you forget, you can have shipped to you anyway.
  • What's the best packing method? I'm shit at packing, and I understand we have some masters around here.
  • What's the best packing method? I'm shit at packing, and I understand we have some masters around here.
    Tetris that shit.

But seriously, just get stuff as small as you can possibly get it through careful folding and don't pack more than you need. It's rather simple.
  • But seriously, just get stuff as small as you can possibly get it through careful folding and don't pack more than you need. It's rather simple.
    Yeah, I mean, I know the basic concept, but I remember Luke in particular commenting that he could fit two months into a carryon, easily.
    Luke's probably better to ask on that score than I am, but I've found the best method for shorter trips is to roll you clothes tightly. As in, fit an entire change of clothes into a pringles can tightly. Suits and uniforms are trickier, because you can't roll it and keep it looking good, but there's a specific folding method there which won't apply to you. Go light on toiletries - you can buy more at the other end. Make sure you have enough power adapters, and remember that the UK is 240 Volt 50 Htz, instead of the US 110 volt - Another good idea is to bring along a powerboard from the US - that way, you can plug your US shite in without having to have a million adapters, just the one.

Also, Smokes in the UK run to about 5 to 7 pounds a 20 pack, and rolling tobacco is about 12 pound for 50 gram, and pipe tobacco, you can buy some brands from regular shops, but you'd be better off going to a good tobacconist.