This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Is it more proper to call your girlfriend chan or kun?
    Kun is only for guys, so go with chan.
  • Kun is only for guys,
    You could do "last name"-kun, but that would be incredibly rude, if she's your girlfriend. I've heard Japanese businessmen speak to their secretaries as such. It's kind of a power thing.
  • edited March 2011
    Is it more proper to call your girlfriend chan or kun?
    Kun is only for guys, so go with chan.
    Wrong. -kun can also be applied to women in the context of a superior addressing a female person below them in a hierarchy, i.e. the boss addressing his or her female employee. For girlfriends though it's definitely -chan.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited March 2011
    Or, you know, you could call them their names without suffixes.
    Weeaboo.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I like "anata".
  • I think "anta" is equivalent to "dear", usually used by women to refer to their husband/long-term boyfriend.

I personally don't have much wrong with weaboo until they start getting uppity.
  • Next month I fly back home from Barbados... but via New York. My idea: look into staying in New York for a few weeks and buying my own flight back to Berlin. Question: worth it for April in New York? I might like to visit later in the year.
  • I think "anta" is equivalent to "dear", usually used by women to refer to their husband/long-term boyfriend.
    "anta" is different from "anata", though. I know "anata" is typically used in the sense you mentioned, but I think more men ought to use it.
  • edited March 2011
    Question: worth it for April in New York? I might like to visit later in the year.
    Well... Yesterday:
    Today:
    Your weather mileage may vary.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • How does the lore of Warhammer 40K stack up to modern religious texts?
  • How does the lore of Warhammer 40K stack up to modern religious texts?
    More Guns, More orks. Otherwise identical.
  • edited March 2011
    Yep! And the Emperor (praise his holy name) doesn't have a son. Or a father, for that matter.

EDIT: Also, the Wh49k canon is much more straightforward than the Bible. I know exactly where it stands on issues of corruption and the Warp.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Can anyone help me find the iboy case for the iPhone 3GS? I found a skin, but I want to find it as a case. Anyone see it anywhere?
  • WTF? The bible is modern religious text??!?!??!

I thought the question was more about Scientology or other science fiction influenced religions.
  • WTF? The bible is modern religious text??!?!??!
    Well, maybe not the original, but there are certainly some modern interpretations, for varying standards of the word "Modern."
  • Why are NewsRadio episodes named after random and unrelated Led Zeppelin albums?
  • edited March 2011
    Yep! And the Emperor (praise his holy name) doesn't have a son. Or a father, for that matter.

EDIT: Also, the Wh49k canon is much more straightforward than the Bible. I know exactly where it stands on issues of corruption and the Warp.
    Actually, the Emperor has 20 genetically engineered sons (the Primarchs, some of which are evil) and the Sensei, a whole slew of immortal, biological, Psyker sons the Emperor sired. Presumably by thrusting forth with his Holy Relic Blade.

W40k lore is definitely better than most religious texts. I would point you to the drinking contest Leman Russ (a primarch raised by GIANT FUCKING WOLVES) had with the Emperor when he was rediscovered--a drinking contest he won. Against a fucking god.

EDIT: Holy shit you guys, I am such a fucking nerd.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • W40k lore is definitely better than most religious texts.
    It's much shorter in it's application, too - After all, the bible game takes 60-90 years to play and see who won.
  • Actually, the Emperor has 20 genetically engineered sons (the Primarchs, some of which are evil)
    I didn't know the Primarchs were his sons. Everything makes so much more sense now.
  • How long, approximately, does it take to beat Ocarina of Time?
  • A speed run can get it done in 5-7 hours. A regular just for fun play through 10-15 i would say. Going for everything (all hearts , all plants and everything) 15-20.
  • Will the Timelords ever return?
  • edited March 2011
    Will the Timelords ever return?
    When the world needs him most and when they don't even know it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited March 2011
    My mom is stopping at Cafe Zayia for me because she is in the city. Right now I asked for some Spicy Tuna Onigir, curry pan, rolls (green tea and red bean). Is there anything else I should ask for? Remember it needs to be ok with not being refridereated for 2 hours or so. Also should be cheap easy to transport (aka no soup). Oh and what is Konbu onigiri?
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Chewy Kelp Seaweed Onigiri. I like it.
    Also, I recommend delicious melon-pan!
  • I wish they had pork onigiri..... Does anyone else know a place that serves rice balls near 350 Broadway? cheaply? That may have a different variaty of rice balls?
  • After consideration: I'm not going to stop off for a week in New York on the way home. If the weather is going to be so random, I'll take my chances at home.
  • Does it strike anyone else as odd when you meet someone, guy or girl, who doesn't have many friends of the opposite sex? I have generally found such people to have juvenile senses of gender division and/or not have a very wide range of interests. As someone who has about an equal number of male and female friends, finding that someone else's friend ratio is radically skewed to one side or the other sends up a little bit of a red flag for me in terms of the content of their character. I kind of hope I am wrong to feel this way.
  • Just an unbalanced male:female ratio, or just far more friends of the same sex?
  • far more friends of the same sex?
    This. I'm talking totals of, like, one or two friends of the opposite sex excluding a significant other. Radically skewed.