This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favourite SNES game

RymRym
edited September 2006 in Video Games
We've had favourite NES game, so what about the SNES? I expect more short lists than single answers, since very few people ever are able to answer such questions easily.

Personally, I have to break it down into two categories.

Games I loved:
  • Final Fantasy IV
  • Gemfire
  • Sim City
  • Shadowrun
  • Mario Paint
  • Actraiser
Games I loved AND would still play regularly:
  • Aerobiz (Supersonic)
  • Super Mario World
  • Populus
Gemfire is only relegated to the top list for the fact that I have wholly transcended the single player game, beating every scenario as every family, and no humans will play with me... -_-

Comments

• Megaman X and X2
    Super Mario World
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Mortal Kombat
    Chrono Trigger
    Rock n' Roll Racing
  • Super Metroid is the best SNES game. Period.
  • Earthbound, Sim City, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, Mario Paint and Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

While this wasn't one of my favorites I think it needs a mention as the oddest title and gameplay I experienced as a kid: Spanky's Quest. A monkey runs around slapping balls to kill enemies with his explosions.
  • Super Mario Kart & Super Mario World

I bought myself an external tv box just so I could plug my SNES into my LCD monitor and relive my childhood ^_^
  • Super Mario World. Pilot Wings was also alot of fun.
  • Starfox and Super Mario World
  • Tales of Phantasia
    Secret of Evermore
    Spiderman and Venom - Maximum Carnage
    Spiderman and Venom - Separation Anxiety
    X-Men Mutant Apocalypse
  • Oh Sim City! That was so great, I LOVED Mario 3, I also had a Gameboy converter so I could play Gameboy games in the SNES. I also remember just playing with the button that would eject the game for hours when I just got it.
  • Super Mario World
    Top Gear
    Zelda
    A Game with Goofy and his son ( it looks a lot like Zelda)
    Disney's Magical Quest
    Disney's Magical Quest 2
    Disney's Magical Quest 3
    Megaman X
    Megaman X3
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy IV
    Street Fighter II
  • Earthbound or Chrono Trigger

I'm still crying over the US not getting the Mother 1 & 2 port, or the 3rd game here either.

I'm still crying over the US not getting the Mother 1 & 2 port, or the 3rd game here either.
    I cry with you.
  • edited September 2006
    Chrono Trigger wins by leaps and bounds.

Others:

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Lufia 2
    Super Metroid
    Super Mario World
    Street Fighter 2: Turbo
    Mega Man X, X2, and X3
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Chrono Trigger would have to top my list.

Others are:
    Secret of Mana
    Populous
    Lufia 1 & 2
    Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Final Fantasy IV
    Final Fantasy VI
    OgreBattle
  • -Super Metroid
    -Megaman X-X3
    -SMW
    -Kirby Super Star
  • Chrono Trigger
    FF VI
    Secret of Mana
    Megaman X
    Street Fighter II
  • Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 6
    Harvest Moon (I know, it's silly...and I hate farms, too...)
    Wonder Project J
    Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy 4 was amazing...though I'm liking the advance remake of it a bit more
    Super Mario Kart...hell yeah!
    Legend of Zelda: A link to the past
    Ogrebattle

The Seiken Densetsu series was really interesting & cool, too
    Wrong! The best Super Nintendo game (and indeed the best game of all time) is Chrono Trigger.
  • When I owned by SNES I was stationed in Germany and only owned a few games.

The only games I remember owning were a race game (two player split screen horizontal) and the one with the Kilrathi evil cat pilots in space... The one they made that horrible movie out of?
  • Crono Trigger
    Breath of Fire II
    Secret of Mana
    Tetris Attack
    Super Mario All-Stars
    Super Metroid
    LOZ - Link to the Past (longest best Zelda game ever)
    Kirby's Dream Land 3
  • LOZ - Link to the Past (longest best Zelda game ever)
    Agreed.
  • When I owned by SNES I was stationed in Germany and only owned a few games.

The only games I remember owning were a race game (two player split screen horizontal) and the one with the Kilrathi evil cat pilots in space... The one they made that horrible movie out of?
    I'm pretty sure that was Wing Commander, featuring the voice talent of Mark "Luke" Hamill.
  • Yep... win Commander it was. I don't remember any spoken voices though...

I do remember a very annoying mission to take out a Kilrathi ship which was near impossible because you always ran out of missiles...

It was also lame in that you could plot your course and then just pull back hard on the stick to avoid all dog fights.
  • The voice-acting is from the PC versions of Wing Commander, starting with Wing Commander III.
  • Secret of Mana and Legend of Zelda (yes, RPG's are my favourite genre). I would have played Chrono Trigger too but I could never find the game, it may be a myth but I was told it wasn't released in the Australian market.
  • My two favorites were Super Mario World, and one of the old Metroid games. Forget what the title was of the Metroid game since it's been so long since I've played it.
  • I have many fond memories of my SNES, and thanks to emulation I've found some real gems I don't think I was ready for at the time. Here are a few I will forever love:
    NBA Live '96
    NBA Jam TE
    NBA Hangtime
    NBA Give 'N Go(can you tell I was a big basketball fan at the time?)
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium
    and um....there were more that I'm not remembering now...I'll put them in later or something. And yeah, this is my first post on the forum, I emailed Rym and Scott one time earlier.
    Agreed!
  • Chrono Trigger.

I cry with you.
    I'm fucking bawling with all of you guys.
  • Chrono Trigger
    Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy IV, V, VI
    Populous
    Seiken Densetsu III (aka Secret of Mana 2)

My perspective is a weird one, however: I never actually owned an SNES, so almost all of these were played much later, through emulators.