This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• Basic Wii U's are in stock. Black one? Not so much ...
    There was a pile of black ones at Gamestop.
    I'm surprised. I see plenty of white ones in the stores but no black ones. Could be a NYC thing?
  • Basic Wii U's are in stock. Black one? Not so much ...
    There was a pile of black ones at Gamestop.
    I'm surprised. I see plenty of white ones in the stores but no black ones. Could be a NYC thing?
    I think it's a bad sign actually. The white cheap non-deluxe one is targeted at people who don't care/know so much and will pick a cheaper option. The black one is targeted at people like us. Maybe the people the white one is targeted at know better, and they bought black. That means they wasted money on all these white ones. Or maybe that other audience isn't buying, which means they are in deep shit.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2012
    That other audience is content with the Wii.

Hell, I know three separate parents who are buying Wiis this Christmas for their kids to play Wii Sports. They didn't even know the Wii-U existed.

In general, almost no non-gamer people I know had any idea there was a new console from Nintendo. Nintendo is that company that makes "the Wii" to them:" nothing more.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • That other audience is content with the Wii.

Hell, I know three separate parents who are buying Wiis this Christmas for their kids to play Wii Sports. They didn't even know the Wii-U existed.

In general, almost no non-gamer people I know had any idea there was a new console from Nintendo. Nintendo is that company that makes "the Wii" to them:" nothing more.
    They might buy Wii-U by accident.
  • Or they'll go into Gamestop and a salesman may try to talk them into buying the Wii U. I would be surprised if that DIDN'T happen.
  • you may have come in exactly when a shipment arrived it's not that crazy.
  • The 3DS isn't even selling that poorly, it's just that people prefer smartphones.
  • edited November 2012
    Sony Entertainment's stock is kinda poop too and Microsoft's is okay I'm not sure what you're proving to me. The 3ds is strongly outselling Vita, Microsoft is doing well with Xbox but only in America.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Nintendo has dropped on the initial sales estimates of the Wii-U, and also dropped on the sales numbers for the 3DS. They're not meeting market expectations.
  • What is a Vita?
  • What is a Vita?
    Vitamins

or the PS Vita (gaming handheld from Sony)
  • Nintendo has dropped on the initial sales estimates of the Wii-U, and also dropped on the sales numbers for the 3DS. They're not meeting market expectations.
    They better come out with some fucking awesome games soon.
    They better come out with some fucking awesome games soon.
    Virtue's Last Reward (999 sequel), Bravely Default (original SQ-E IP), Paper Mario, Etrian Odyssey 4, DQ7, Animal Crossing..

3DS is fine, but would be nice to get some solid Wii-U announcements, even this early on into the launch.

• What is a Vita?
    A Sony handheld console being outsold 47 to 1 by the 3DS in Japan these past few weeks, I shit you not. If you think Nintendo is scared, try being Sony.

• For games I meant Wii-U but honestly 3DS could use some as well. You can't use a lot of those games to gauge sales of 3DS consoles. Many of those titles are niche or have not established themselves. With people already wary of the new consoles even a lot of the established IPs are not going to ring in users unless they start delivering them very consistently.

The sad thing is I got a PS Vita on Black Friday and it's actually really cool and has a lot of potential. If Sony is smart they'll do some cool Crystal Chronicles type shit with the new PlayStation and make it worth owning the console.
  • edited November 2012
    Nintendo doing strange things and being generally odd? Console sales not so good?

Sega, this is your chance. BRING US THE DREAMCAST2.
    (Yeah, I know it would be a bad move on their part, but a guy can dream.)
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited November 2012
    Really, this is the chance for the Steam console. Right now all these people who still buy games in retail stores are used to $50 games and shit. Imagine if all games were digital and the people not smart enough to PC game were in on the Steam sales. Gamestop, out of business.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I have still yet to see a Wii U.
  • edited November 2012
    That image is fantastic.
    I have still yet to see a Wii U.
    You will see one soon. Earlier in the week is better, as Nintendo shipments are typically opened up on Sunday mornings.

The console is definitely not rare. A $30-50 eBay markup does not a Christmas shopping hysteria make: image

Post edited by Matt on
  • Lol oh man, listening to the bombcast crew talk about the wii u just sounds awful. Machines locking up, discs not being recognized, flagrantly slow OS.
  • Damn son, Nintendo stock just keeps dropping. It's lost 5% yesterday and 5% so far today, and is on a long downward trend since the Wii-U launch...
  • Nintendo stock has lost 65% of its value since early 2011.
  • Nintendo stock has lost 65% of its value since early 2011.
    And just for some perspective, this is not indicative of a larger industry problem. I've made some decent money on game publisher stocks over the past few years.

• Nintendo really needs to kick into high gear in regards to marketing the hell out of the Wii U. You're in for a bad time if the majority of consumers don't know what your product is it how it is different from its predecessor.

That being said, does anyone know how many units Nintendo shipped at launch and how that compared to the Wii?
  • The Wii targeted the "blue ocean" and made it part of the regular gaming sea. Now, there's no more "blue ocean" to target: those people all already have Wiis and see no reason to upgrade.
  • edited December 2012
    It fell modestly short of Wii sales, but we can't know by how much. There is a fine wrinkle in the sales data that isn't being reported: 400k Wii Us sold in USA during launch week, something like 600-650k Wiis sold during launch week across all of North America.

And it's more than kicking marketing into high gear, it's creating ANY good marketing. Those Wii commercials rocked. The Wii U ones are awful. This system is a very hard sell and Nintendo isn't doing itself any favors.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Maybe if they spent more time making games and less time making hardware. I would like to see some comparison of how many hit games Nintendo put out per platform. It really feels like the GameCube had many more big games than the Wii. Like they filled in the blanks on the Wii by re-releasing GameCube games with Wii controls.

Let's try to compare by franchise without counting re-releases like Metroid:Prime Trilogy or Mario Power Tennis.

Franchise / GameCube / Wii
    Metroid / 2 /1
    Smash Bros / 1 / 1
    Mario Tennis / 1 / 0
    Mario Party / 4 / 1
    Zelda / 3 / 2 (Twilight Princess was on both)
    Mario Kart / 1 / 1
    Animal Crossing / 1 / 1
    Pikmin / 2 / 0
    Mario / 1 / 3

This list looks a lot worse when you realize some of the Wii games like Other M were bad, and some of the GameCube games like Metroid: Prime are all-time greats. The quantity and the quality of games just published by Nintendo alone has gone way downhill.
  • edited December 2012
    Scott I think some of those counts are off. Not defending the Wii, b/c I do think the GC was much better. I recall two Metroid games (Prime 3, Other M) or are we not counting Other M b/c it wasn't a hit?

Two Mario Party games (8, 9) and Fortune Street could be considered a third Mario Party.
    Edit: Fuck where there really 4 Mario Party games for Gamecube alone? No wonder I don't remember the middle of that franchise. They milked the hell out of it.

Kirby / 1 / 2

I still don't understand why they went with Mario Baseball on Wii instead of a new Mario Tennis. Dumb move.
    Post edited by Matt on