This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• Oh, I forgot Prime 3. And I didn't know Mario Party went to 9.
  • And it's more than kicking marketing into high gear, it's creating ANY good marketing. Those Wii commercials rocked. The Wii U ones are awful. This system is a very hard sell and Nintendo isn't doing itself any favors.
    I have not seen a single piece of WiiU marketing outside of store circulars, ads within stores, and a WiiU demo station in the local mall. Nintendo needs to put ads and commercials just about everywhere saying exactly what is new with the system and not just showing off the new controller. A number of people think that the WiiU is just an add-on to the Wii, so Nintendo really needs to work on getting rid of the perception issues that they are suffering from. The 3DS had a similar problem, but it really seems like they finally have fixed that.

Ultimately, the system selling is going to come down to the games. The 3DS has had a consistent stream of big releases over the last year and that has helped the system greatly, Nintendo needs to do this with the WiiU for it to be successful. The fact that there seems to be a much better push for third party titles already on the WiiU bodes well for it's future.
  • Oh, I forgot Prime 3. And I didn't know Mario Party went to 9.
    We actually brought the Wii out of storage for MP9. It's a good entry to the series simply because it dared to try something new. Still roll and move, but you all move as one group, with the leader getting the positive/negative effects of that movement. There are also mini-boss and boss battle minigames that are fun. It's not the best MP game, heck 8 is probably better, but we enjoyed our time with it because it was fresh.
  • So the Wii U actually is not selling as badly as many would believe. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/wii-u-first-week-sales-fall-short-of-wii-6401223)

Sure it's not selling as well as the Wii did, but it's not failing in the market.
  • Quote from Nintendo on why Nintendoland games don't have online matches: "they were set up from the start to be something people in the same room could enjoy. We've played the games with a 'no talking' rule in place," Shimamura added, "and it's amazing how much that changes the balance, even with us devs."

• I've been surprised to see stores mostly fully stocked throughout the holiday buying season, with a slight lull around Black Friday (in stock levels) that seems to have recovered entirely. My local target has plenty of both models.
  • edited December 2012
    Does anyone have any numbers on how many units were shipped? It would be nice to think that a tech company did not try to create artificial scarcity of their product at launch. It is rather good to know that there are Black WiiUs out there as I'm trying to buy one sometime after Christmas.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Does anyone have any numbers on how many units were shipped? It would be nice to think that a tech company did not try to create artificial scarcity of their product at launch. It is rather good to know that there are Black WiiUs out there as I'm trying to buy one sometime after Christmas.
    Shipped is one thing, sold is another. Whenever someone reports numbers shipped, that means they are trying to hide the fact that many of them are sitting in stores and warehouses.
  • Does anyone have any numbers on how many units were shipped? It would be nice to think that a tech company did not try to create artificial scarcity of their product at launch. It is rather good to know that there are Black WiiUs out there as I'm trying to buy one sometime after Christmas.
    Shipped is one thing, sold is another. Whenever someone reports numbers shipped, that means they are trying to hide the fact that many of them are sitting in stores and warehouses.
    The reason I'm asking is because the sales numbers for the WiiU actually aren't THAT far behind the Wii (at least they weren't in the first week). The Wii outsold the WiiU by around 50,000 units, which is a big number, but they sold 425,000 units in that first week.
  • So my Nintendo Network ID is TheRocketHammer. Add me and stuff.
  • What launch games even support online play? Sega racing? I haven't bothered set up a Nintendo ID yet. I guess I can go online with AC 3 if I cared about deathmatch on my Nintendo system.
  • Some do not support online play but do support online stuff. For example in Mario you can leave notes on worlds for others to see. In Zombie-U your zombie corpse can show up in your friend's games.
  • Ah. Gotcha. I saw the online note support in Mario U and couldn't possibly have cared less, but I guess if I had friends also playing the game in other locations it'd be fun to leave stuff for them, maybe.

The social stuff on the main Wii U menu just annoys me, though, honestly.
  • Can't remember if I posted about buying the Sonic racing game here, but I did like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it is surprisingly not bag. It's actually pretty good. It's like a new nad improved Diddy Kong Racing.
    What launch games even support online play? Sega racing? I haven't bothered set up a Nintendo ID yet. I guess I can go online with AC 3 if I cared about deathmatch on my Nintendo system.
    Not sure about the racing (haven't tried), but Call of Duty Black Ops II has online play.

• Some do not support online play but do support online stuff. For example in Mario you can leave notes on worlds for others to see. In Zombie-U your zombie corpse can show up in your friend's games.
    The Mario notes were cool for a while, when people were drawing awesome art and leaving it on the world map. Eventually, though, it became an endless stream of whiny little kids bitching about stages they were having a hard time beating. This game is not that hard.

• Can't remember if I posted about buying the Sonic racing game here, but I did like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and it is surprisingly not bag. It's actually pretty good. It's like a new nad improved Diddy Kong Racing.
    I'm geeking out over the freaking boating physics, but I'm also having a really hard time with the flying segments.

• edited January 2013
    Post edited by Aria on
  • edited August 2013
    I gots one. I needs friends. :3
    I'm AxelOfWisdom.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • What convinced you to get one?
  • edited August 2013
    Pikmin 3 is coming out next week.

However, it is not working on my monitor. I have an A/V cable coming out of the Wii U, plugged into a A/V -> VGA converter. Whether I just plug in the yellow video cable or all three, no signal on my monitor. :\
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Pikmin 3 is coming out next week.

However, it is not working on my monitor. I have an A/V cable coming out of the Wii U, plugged into a A/V -> VGA converter. Whether I just plug in the yellow video cable or all three, no signal on my monitor. :\
    HDCP?
  • HDCP supposedly doesn't support VGA or A/V. I'm not splitting it out the HDMI cable, I'm converting from an S-Video A/V cable. I don't think they have HDCP on that, do they?
  • Might be time to invest in a monitor with HDMI.
  • edited August 2013
    Ugh. Too much money. And my desk is small and doesn't have room for a 3rd monitor.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Did you go into the Wii menu and set that option?
  • Yeah. The video option is either HDMI or Non-HDMI. There aren't other options. It's only been set to Non-HDMI this whole time.
  • Is your monitor VGA only? HDMI to DVI is much easier.
  • My computer uses the DVI. And HDMI to DVI doesn't transfer the audio signal. Neither does HDMI to VGA.
  • Cheap DVI switcher?
  • That still leave no audio output. The Wii U can't output out both of its ports, so if I put the HDMI into a video signal, I can't get audio. The Gamepad outputs some audio, but I dunno if it does all.