This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• Hmm.. have you tried another device in the box?
    Also, are you running component (5 cables) or composite (3 cables) to the box?
  • Composite, red/white/yellow. That's what the Wii U outputs. It works on a TV, which I tested. The converter doesn't work with the PS2 either, on either of my monitors, so it might be the converter. I filed a claim, but I'll wait and see.
  • They make HDMI to DVI with separate red and white audio cables. And use that with a DVI switcher or a DVI to VGA adapter.
  • Would this work? It's expensive, but if it would solve my issues, I'd get it.
  • edited August 2013
    Oh wait, the gamecube and wii use the same analog output. I think the Wii U does as well. http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HDTV-Cable-Nintendo/dp/B0015MISAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375482913&sr=8-1&keywords=wii+u+vga

Your monitor should be able to handle the HSync-On-Green problem.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • That still has the problem of not giving me an audio signal I can convert and put into my monitor. I don't have speakers.
  • What is the audio in for your monitor? If it's a headphone jack, use a phono to 3.5mm converter.
  • It is just a headphone jack.

I will consider that. Waiting to hear from the seller of the S-Video to VGA adapter for what they say. If they say it's broken, I might get a replacement. Or they say it doesn't work, and I get whichever option I can find that's the cheapest.
  • It goes from bad to worse for Nintendo. Allow for a short summary:

First was their complete failure to understand how to make HD games. They were forced to put all post-launch title development on hold so their staff could rush out the few launch titles they had. Way to not learn anything from companies who have been doing this for close to a decade.

This then results in one of the worst game droughts I've ever seen. So to nobody's surprise, it turns out that about 4 people own Wii Us.

Now, almost a year after launch, Wii U is finally getting a title worth playing: Pikmin 3. Surely, the current flagship first party title must make some great use of the Wii U's unique hardware, right? Nope! And it's even worse than you think.

Pikmin 3 is way, way better when controlled with a Wiimote Plus and a nunchuck (nothing like finally realizing your potential one generation late, zing!). So, no big deal, just use that instead of the Gamepad. NOPE! You need to keep the gamepad nearby to do perform some vital game management functions, only available on the touchscreen. Hope you have a nice coffee table.
  • edited August 2013
    Everything I've read says it's best when it uses the Wii Remote Plus and the Gamepad. You use the Gamepad as the map to direct things and do the path-plotting functions, and then the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to direct an individual captain and their Pikmin.

Ala this.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • That was my point. It sounds like a great game, but juggling two different controllers is cumbersome. They need a game that makes everyone go "Holy crap, this thing is really awesome!" not "Both controllers were used to the best of their ability, but it was kind of a pain."

Personally, I don't have a coffee table to put my Gamepad on. It'd be on the couch next to me, and very inconvenient. Also, anyone foolish enough to buy the basic Wii U didn't even get a charging cradle, so have fun building a makeshift device to prop the Gamepad up.
  • You can't put it on your lap?
  • The Wii had Wii Sports, a handful of games for the geeks, and then meh. The Wii U couldn't even muster a Wii U Sports, let alone anything for geeks.
  • Nintendo Land is the Wii Sports for the Wii U. It really is. The minigames are fun.
  • Nintendo Land is the Wii Sports for the Wii U. It really is. The minigames are fun.
    Hmmmm, no.
  • When you boil it down the Wii U is the console version of the DS.
    Except without the huge sales numbers and mass appeal.

Hmmmm, no.
    I'm not saying it has the same mass market appeal, I'm saying it's their analogue. It shows you what fun, asymmetrical games you can make with the Gamepad. No one's doing that, of course, but it's a lot of proof of concept games, much like Wii Sports felt like.

Only selling it with the Deluxe set was a mistake, and I imagine they will rectify that in time. But I was saying for a long time that I wanted the next system to do their minigame title with Nintendo characters and not just Miis. I wanted minigames based on the Nintendo characters to show you how to play with the new controller. That wound up being just what I got.

Except without the huge sales numbers and mass appeal.

From a design standpoint it is. While they have different gear under the hood (and a few more buttons) the gamepad is (design wise) the bottom half of the DS. So why can't they make games that use that second screen to enhance gameplay?

• The two aren't locked tightly close together. You have to shift from one to the other.
  • Also, I figured out why my Wii U wasn't showing on my TV. The cable I purchased was VGA to A/V, doesn't work A/V to VGA. I purchased a box that will definitely do what I need.
  • They better do a price drop soon. I mean look how much better the 3DS started doing once it was cheaper, and actually had games. There are good games coming out this fall, but I can't see many people paying $350+ for the real Wii U when the PS4 is $400.
  • Worried about what this interview has to say about Wonderful 101.

Summary: the entire first playthrough might as well be considered a tutorial, as you can button-mash your way through the whole thing. The joy of the game is finding elegant ways to beat it the second time around once you understand how to use the characters. There are plenty of collection sidequests and assorted BS.
  • Looks like 3DS to Wii U integration will be a series of Wara wara plazas?
  • And...
    Got a box that would do A/V to VGA, and it just gives my monitor a big blue screen.
    UGH.
  • For all the money you spend on adapters trying to make your crappy monitor work, you could have bought a crappy monitor that works.
  • edited August 2013
    No. Not even. Do you know a monitor for less than $30 that has HDMI or A/V ports?

And it's not a crappy monitor. It is a 16:9 monitor with VGA and DVI ports. It's not a great monitor. But it's an acceptably good monitor.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • A monitor isn't going to change much. Only a TV is going to accept that signal without a converter.
  • A monitor isn't going to change much. Only a TV is going to accept that signal without a converter.
    Uh, no. A monitor and a TV are both the same thing. Any display with the proper inputs will work. This is why I shell out for the Dell Ultrasharp. All the inputs.
  • There's no reason why this monitor wouldn't accept an A/V signal converted to VGA and the Dell Ultrasharp would.

It would have an HDMI, but then I'd also be out $500.