This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• Lando was all up in Star Wars Rebels for 2 episodes. There was some rumor, sparked by when Billy Dee Williams was doing promotional interviews for Rebels, that Lando would pop up in Episode 8. Would also make for an interesting mirror of the original trilogy, but while I loved that story mechanism, I do hope they shift away from the mirroring. I'd be OK with this one example though.
  • It's ok if he doesn't show up. I just figure hey, his existence should at least be acknowledged, right? Someone should call him on the space phone and tell him Han is dead, at least.
  • Hey Leia on the death of Han Solo doesn't even hug Chewie. You think she's going to call Lando? She's moved the F on already :-p That's what losing an entire planet does to you. Makes you stone cold.
  • Cremlian said:

Hey Leia on the death of Han Solo doesn't even hug Chewie. You think she's going to call Lando? She's moved the F on already :-p That's what losing an entire planet does to you. Makes you stone cold.

I figured Chewie would make the call.
  • Cremlian said:

Hey Leia on the death of Han Solo doesn't even hug Chewie. You think she's going to call Lando? She's moved the F on already :-p That's what losing an entire planet does to you. Makes you stone cold.

Stiff upper lip.

• Also, that reminds me of something. From what I've seen, communications technology in Star Wars is not so good.

First of all, they seem to just have very short range radios, no better than what police have. They use walkie talkies to communicate on Endor, and they can talk ship to ship while in range during battle, or when requesting to land on the Death Star.

Secondly, they do seem to have interstellar communications. This is how the Emperor hologram appears. But remember, they had to leave the asteroid field for it to work. The signal quality was also shitty sometimes. Hardly high tech.

Other than that, they have to use Jedi telepathy to communicate. They also seem to like sending droids to deliver messages in person. I seem to also remember some convenient excuses along the way as well. Didn't all of Luke's communications equipment get busted on Dagobah?
  • Long term Minovsky particle pollution.

They probably communicate mostly by LOS electromagnetic beams. There's clearly no good means of FTL communication except via physical hyperspace jumps.
  • Matt said:

Lando was all up in Star Wars Rebels for 2 episodes. There was some rumor, sparked by when Billy Dee Williams was doing promotional interviews for Rebels, that Lando would pop up in Episode 8. Would also make for an interesting mirror of the original trilogy, but while I loved that story mechanism, I do hope they shift away from the mirroring. I'd be OK with this one example though.

I figured Lando by this point probably has rolled his fame as "General who destroyed the Second Death Star's main reactor" into lifestyle of incredible wealth and success. Han always liked flying, Lando was all about owning things that could make him money.
  • Apreche said:

Raithnor said:

Be interesting if the fan theory of "Rogue One is Rey's mother" is true.

I'm buying it.
    It makes a lot more sense than the other theories out there. I thought it was obvious she was Luke's daughter immediately after watching The Force Awakens, but I've come to think that is just too obvious.
    She still could be (and probably is) Luke's daughter, (going by the hairbun theory) this just let's Rey's mother, be someone else other than "Luke's future wife"/"Rey's Mother".
  • Rym said:

They probably communicate mostly by LOS electromagnetic beams. There's clearly no good means of FTL communication except via physical hyperspace jumps.

Vader does real-time FTL with the Emperor in Episode V, and Ren with new emperor guy in VII.
  • In both those cases, it's in a weird special room at low resolution. Seems like the exceptional communication means, not the typical.
  • It also explains why, for example, they're not exactly calling Thrawn on the phone. And also why the senate has to meet in a physical location.
  • Teleconferencing better than anything the SW universe ever had exists in 2016AD, yet our fucking Senate has to meet in a physical location...
  • Rym said:

Teleconferencing better than anything the SW universe ever had exists in 2016AD, yet our fucking Senate has to meet in a physical location...

Well, you have to be absolutely certain that the people voting are the people who are supposed to be voting. We could solve that problem with encryption, but our government wants to ban that. Seems nobody in Star Wars ever heard of RSA, since the older codes still check out.
  • Rym said:

Long term Minovsky particle pollution.

Episode IX: Return of the N-jammer-canceller.
  • edited April 2016
    Well, in the real world R4D (radar detector detector detector detector) is a thing, so...

Or at least, it might be. Radar detector-detector-detectors are definitely a thing, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • That better be pronounced "rad".
  • Rym said:

In both those cases, it's in a weird special room at low resolution. Seems like the exceptional communication means, not the typical.

There's a Holonet, which allows for real-time FTL communication across the Galaxy. The Empire has sealed off the network for military use, but DarkNets exist.

According to Rebels and Episode VII, it's possible for a ship in hyperspace to communicate with one in realspace and vice versa. *shurgs*

Even though the images are "low-res" they're still true 3D images, Qui-gon had a projector slightly smaller than the palm of his hand.

It's possible that range issues in technology might also be due to lack of a network infrastructure on various planets. On a planet like Endor, short-range comlinks might be the only thing possible for a rebel strike team trying to infiltrate an imperial facility.
  • Apreche said:

Other than that, they have to use Jedi telepathy to communicate. They also seem to like sending droids to deliver messages in person. I seem to also remember some convenient excuses along the way as well. Didn't all of Luke's communications equipment get busted on Dagobah?

Less busted than under ten feet of nasty-ass swamp water, but close enough. I suppose it's reasonable for a survival kit to have some sort of beacon, but if you're hanging out on a planet having just escaped from a large enemy blockade, I don't think you want to go blasting your location out to all and sundry.
    Raithnor said:

It's possible that range issues in technology might also be due to lack of a network infrastructure on various planets. On a planet like Endor, short-range comlinks might be the only thing possible for a rebel strike team trying to infiltrate an imperial facility.

Also the issue of stealth - bigger the range, more powerful the transmission, easier it is to detect. Short-range communication only might even be a tactical decision, rather than one of necessity.

• I hope the young Han Solo movie is all about some crazy adventures with young Lando.
    Rym said:

Teleconferencing better than anything the SW universe ever had exists in 2016AD, yet our fucking Senate has to meet in a physical location...

Well, people seem to think that if they're not physically in the building AND in session, then they're not working. If they never went to the building, people would lose their shit. Because apparently American citizens lack object permanence, and if we can't see them in the room on C-SPAN, they aren't meeting.
  • Nuri said:

I hope the young Han Solo movie is all about some crazy adventures with young Lando.

I would LOVE to see Lando playing a big part in the Han Solo movie. Now I'm picturing Han/Chewie/Lando as the Dukes of Hazzard, in the Millennium Lee, running from Jabba the Boss Hogg.
  • Jesus? Yes he also didn't have a father. The parallels are striking.
  • edited April 2016
    Auralnauts is still the best. Waiting for their Empire cut even if it'll be months at least.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I think Michael B. Jordan would do a good Lando whenever the Han Solo movie comes out, just saying.
  • Erwin said:

I think Michael B. Jordan would do a good Lando whenever the Han Solo movie comes out, just saying.

I had to Google Michael B. Jordan, because the only one I know is Michael Jeffrey Jordan.
  • Nuri said:

Because apparently American citizens lack object permanence, and if we can't see them in the room on C-SPAN, they aren't meeting.

Muricans suddenly make a lot more sense.