This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Live FRC Forum Chat

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
Talk about redundancy, but go here for a live forum chat room...

/geeky
//picard is better
///who has a chat room for a forum?

Comments

• Do you guys want an IRC channel?

I'm sad to say that my IRC days are over, and I doubt either Scott or myself would ever be there outside of special events, but we could fairly easily run one if there was serious demand for it.
  • I think Gabbly will be sufficient. I don't think we want to endorse an official chat room if we aren't going to moderate it in some fashion.
  • I wouldn't mind it.
  • We could use the chat room to meet up for Mario Kart DS games f.e.
  • It's fun, but it's CHAOS!
  • Unofficial Friday Night chat in the house yo.
  • Damn. I use Opera as an internet browser.
    This chat thing isn't supported by Opera :(
  • Opera?

Can I ask you a question? Why would one choose to use Opera over Firefox?
  • I reckon irc would go great with a live show of geek nights.
  • Opera?

Can I ask you a question? Why would one choose to use Opera over Firefox?
    Opera really isn't that different from Firefox. It has most of the same features, and it works just as well. It also uses less memory and renders pages faster. It also resizes images and such along with text when you do ctrl+-. The only reason I don't use Opera is because it doesn't have a mountain of extensions, upon which I rely heavily, and it doesn't have good keyboard shortcuts. I browse the web almost entirely with the keyboard only. I can only do that in Firefox.
  • edited May 2007
    I think IRC would be better for a chat room, it would allow for a Mr.Period-Bot to moderate the channel. Heh.
    Besides, a lot of people all ready have IRC clients and it would allow for the chat room to be access able over virtually all platforms.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Not many people actually use IRC anymore, and to be perfectly honest, I've always kind of hated it.  If anything, a Meebo chat would be our best bet.
  • The Meebo chat is working beautifully over at Movies You Should See. It's quite addictive, and you can share all types of media files back and forth for all to see.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm going to bump this, because I see a bunch of people lurking over there to the left waiting for something to happen. We might as well chat while we do it. The link at the top is still very functional.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I second the Meebo chat. Those work surprisingly well.
  • Anyone still interested in live chat? There are usually quite a few people online, if you had a chat client that worked with Vanilla (the above one?) you wouldn't need mods as only registered users could chat.
  • I like the slow chatting that happens on the forum.
  • if you had a chat client that worked with Vanilla (the above one?) you wouldn't need mods as only registered users could chat.
    You're implying that registered users don't need to be moderated.
  • edited January 2011
    You don't need Scrym to make a chat room, guys. Just make one yourself and link to it.

Besides, you should know by now that if you're going to wait for Scott to do anything in regards to adding plugins or changing anything on the site, you're going to be waiting a very long time assuming you can even convince him.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2011
    if you had a chat client that worked with Vanilla (the above one?) you wouldn't need mods as only registered users could chat.
    You're implying that registered users don't need to be moderated.
    Yup.

Well, for this site anyway.

Even without mods, a community can report an abuser. Have them banned. Why would they bother though? This site is so niche. It would be silly.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • You know what, fuck it. I've been meaning to do this for about since I joined the forums anyway, so I'll just make an IRC chat. I reserve the right to be laughed at if this turns in to nothing but a bunch of people idling.

irc.freenode.net #geeknights

Figuring out how to connect is part of the IQ test of being allowed in. :P
  • Awesome. I'm in, though I'd like there to be more than 2 people on the channel.
  • Make that 3. I'm in.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm there, but I'm the only it seems... which is weird since the posts above are only a few minutes old...
    Edit; Nvm, wrong network. Blame Adium.
    Post edited by Aria on
  • We've already got six in here. Join the party.
  • I'm goin for a reboot, but I'll hop in once I'm done.
  • I didn't realize that Digsby didn't support IRC. Guess I'm downloading Pidgin!
  • Digsby
    Did you really want to put up with the ads anyway?