This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you (Would you) wear a pocket watch

edited August 2011 in Everything Else
Just tossing this out there to see how many other people like wearing a pocket watch. My co-workers find it a bit odd but they deal with it. There is just something about checking the time with a pocket watch that I like. I don't wear it everyday, just on days that it feels right. Today is one of those days so I feel like sharing. The pocket watch I currently wear is a classic brushed steel with a standard interior. I received it as a gift from my brother for graduation and it has been monogrammed for me accordingly. I like it so much I was thinking about buying vests that have a small pocket just for the watch to be more conspicuous about it.

You can purchase them pretty cheap nowadays on Ebay or Amazon. I'll warn from experience, cheap ones are made cheaply and on a device with many small delicate moving parts that is a recipe for disaster. I bought an awesome one for $20 on Ebay that turned into a paperweight after 4 weeks.

Once I find out where my phone put the pictures of my watch I'll post them so you can take a look.

Comments

• No. Same answer for spats, same reason.
  • I have a pocket watch in the form of a smartphone.
  • I own a Full Metal Alchemist pocket watch, but the battery ran out and I haven't gotten a replacement one yet.
    No to spats.
  • A google search of these "spats" has revealed that I don't think I am classy enough to pull those off in public.
  • I wore one for years through late high school and college, a bulletproof Victorinox Swiss Army. I rode constantly and my motorcycle jacket's sleeves fit too closely for a watch to be beneath, and I didn't have a cell phone for a big chunk of that time. Nowadays my pocketwatch looks like this:
  • edited August 2011
    Someone should make a bluetooth digital pocketwatch whose face is a screen. It pairs with your phone to receive accurate time and can display notifications/weather/gps compass. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Someone should make a bluetooth digital pocketwatch whose face is a screen. It pairs with your phone to receive accurate time and can display notifications/weather/gps compass. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
    What you've described is a smartphone. >_>
  • Someone should just make a smartphone that looks like a pocketwatch.
  • I agree with the digital pocketwatch idea.

Maybe it's because my aesthetics is geared toward Victorian times and elegant goth, but I love pocket watches and would like to own them. They make great accessories.
  • I would rock a pocketwatch. Specifically, this pocketwatch.
  • I wear a pocketwatch in a chain at all times, a holdover from when I wore three piece suits to school. I own four pocketwatches, two of which I wind every morning.
  • I wear a pocketwatch in a chain at all times, a holdover from when I wore three piece suits to school. I own four pocketwatches, two of which I wind every morning.
    3 piece suits to school?! You sound like a glamorous gentleman I'd ask out to dinner.
  • edited August 2011
    I am personally a wristwatch man. Here is my present timepiece. The face is huge; 50mm in diameter.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited August 2011
    Someone should make a bluetooth digital pocketwatch whose face is a screen. It pairs with your phone to receive accurate time and can display notifications/weather/gps compass. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
    What you've described is a smartphone. >_>
    No, I don't want it to BE the smartphone, just an accessory with the outward aesthetics of a pocketwatch.
    I agree with the digital pocketwatch idea.
    ^_^ Somehow I knew you would.
  • edited August 2011
    It would probably have to be bluetooth to sync with the phone. For that kind of investment in a product it would have to do more than just get accurate time. How about a pocket watch whose screen is asleep until you open the face at which point it tells you the time, if you have any emails, texts, G+ notifications, missed calls. This would be great for me because I often have my phone on silent in my bag so checking my watch would essentially tell me if I missed anything.
    Post edited by Karn on
  • edited August 2011
    It would probably have to be bluetooth to sync with the phone. For that kind of investment in a product it would have to do more than just get accurate time. How about a pocket watch whose screen is asleep until you open the face at which point it tells you the time, if you have any emails, texts, G+ notifications, missed calls. This would be great for me because I often have my phone on silent in my bag so checking my watch would essentially tell me if I missed anything.
    READ, Sucka!
    It pairs with your phone to receive accurate time and can display notifications/weather/gps compass.
    @WindUpBird Oooooh.... Me gusta...
  • Can it read me my notifications in the soothing voice of the quintessential English butler?
  • Can it read me my notifications in the soothing voice of the quintessential English butler?
    No, you can't have Stephen Fry in your pocket.
  • edited August 2011
    READ, Sucka!
    It pairs with your phone to receive accurate time and can display notifications/weather/gps compass.
    I apologize. I read your post but only the first sentence seemed to have stuck.
    Post edited by Karn on
    No, you can't have Stephen Fry in your pocket.
    But we could call the watch "The Jeeves!"

"Sir, it pleases me to inform you that you have seven new Facebook notifications. I would inform you that one is an invitation to a party I believe you will find altogether blasé, and advise you to politely RSVP 'maybe' and subsequently fail to attend."
  • "Sir, it pleases me to inform you that you have seven new Facebook notifications. I would inform you that one is an invitation to a party I believe you will find altogether blasé, and advise you to politely RSVP 'maybe' and subsequently fail to attend."
    Call it "Alfred" and I'm in.
  • "Sir, it pleases me to inform you that you have seven new Facebook notifications. I would inform you that one is an invitation to a party I believe you will find altogether blasé, and advise you to politely RSVP 'maybe' and subsequently fail to attend."
    Done deal. Let's get to work on this fucker.
    Done deal. Let's get to work on this fucker.
    You get to work on software/hardware. I'll write down all the possible words/phrases and then go find Stephen Fry. Let's get this thing ready to ship by... next month-ish.
  • BRB, writing the world's first strong AI for use in a pocketwatch.
  • I just want my own personal holographic HUD. When can I buy one of those?
  • I just want my own personal holographic HUD. When can I buy one of those?
    Propably Wal-mart.
  • Someone should make a bluetooth digital pocketwatch whose face is a screen. It pairs with your phone to receive accurate time and can display notifications/weather/gps compass. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
    I had this exact same idea 20 minutes before I went online and read this thread... except it was a wristwatch instead of a pocket watch.Give accurate time, lets you know announcements without fumbling for your phone, could have buttons for switching songs/doing other quick functions, and apps specific for it...

...PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING PATENT PENDING.
  • I have one with the insgin of Gallifrey, they are very awesome and good for opening conversations :P
  • Good news everyone: We can just hack a pocketwatch chain for this.

I'll buy one at launch.