This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• Ever since I got my Galaxy Note I can't even conceive of dealing with a tiny iPhone again. I tried helping my wife with hers the other day and I had already forgotten how to navigate the thing. It's even sweeter now with ICS installed.
    Ever since checking out co-workers gigantic phones, I don't understand why everyone seems to be taking "bigger is better" for granted. If I wanted bigger, I would get a tablet. The big phones are way too big. Don't fit in the pocket as well. The point of a phone is to be small. If for no other reason I'm sticking with iPhone because even though it is growing, it will still be smaller than those monstrous phones everyone else is making.
  • edited September 2012
    My Note fits in my pocket perfectly, even when I'm wearing jeans. It's actually exactly the device I was looking for. I want a tablet, but I don't one that doesn't fit in my pocket. The iPad is too large for me. At that size, a laptop is better, in my opinion. If I'm already gonna carry a bag, I'm gonna carry a more versatile device, not a media consumption appliance.

On my "phablet" I can very comfortably watch Netflix on a train, games look better and are easier to play, and apps like gmail have a larger and therefore more robust interface.

iPad is great until you try carrying the thing around. This phone fills the exact niche I want. I guess if I routinely wore skinny hipster jeans I'd feel differently.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • @Apsup, yeah I was actually watching that video earlier after doing some Google searches.

I think I'll keep the controller for now and definitely register it with Microsoft. I've heard that it works for people and others it doesn't. We'll see how it goes. :/
  • Valve must have heard Ro was getting an HTPC today so they started the beta for their big screen view.
  • Valve must have heard Ro was getting an HTPC today so they started the beta for their big screen view.
    Trying it when I get home.
  • edited September 2012
    I recently got myself a Sony Nex 7 . Still learning a lot about photography. Definite jump in quality compared to the point and shoots that I had.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • edited September 2012
    Valve must have heard Ro was getting an HTPC today so they started the beta for their big screen view.
    I KNOW! My friend sent me the link this morning and I was like, THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND RO! M'WHAHAHAHA!
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I recently got myself a Sony Nex 7 . Still learning a lot about photography. Definite jump in quality compared to the point and shoots that I had.
    Yeah, that is supposed to be the best mirrorless camera out there. The only reason I didn't get it is because SONY evil, and also the lenses are some proprietary thing.
  • I also got myself a 3DS XL the other day, as well as Tales of the Abyss. ToS was one of my favorite games as a kid, and I was always dubious about the other Tales of games (mostly due to the shitty GBA port of Tales of Phantasia- fuck that game). TotA isn't letting down so far, and I'm very pleased with the 3DSXL. I only spent about $60 to get it since I traded my old DSi XL and my old 3DS. It's pretty much perfect in terms of fit in the hands, color (blue ftw), and finish since the smudges were actually a huge PITA with the old 3DS.

Size reference in comparison to my mouse:

• You have the same mouse that I have at work that I am using right now.
  • edited September 2012
    So tempted to buy things. Moved back in May and started renting my old house out, causing financial chaos, but now we are back to hitting our savings goals every month, so the desire rises. I caught myself thinking the other day "maybe I'll buy a Wii U for the fuck of it." Bad thoughts. Must play giant backlog, enjoy what I have, and not buy new shiny things just to have them.

I would be tempted to buy the 3DS XL since everyone seems to be in love with it and the nice new screen, but I got a free $90 Powerskin external battery which wouldn't fit on the XL, and it'd seem like such a waste to not use it anymore.

What I should really do is sell things to make extra money for my inevitable moment of weakness. WotC keeps sending me Magic cards to write posts & reviews about. They just go in a pile. Time to hit up eBay with that shit. Got me over $100 last time.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • If you are more than willing to just get rid of those Magic Cards, I know a poor broke boyfriend that will take them off your hands.

But yes, join us! Join the 3DS XL club. Watch the cute transfer of systems with hundreds of Pikmin working hard for you. It really it cute.

Also, if you do that, you have to make sure to transfer the data on the old SD card to the new one. The system transfer didn't do that for me for some reason, so I had to do it myself via my computer and SD card reader.
  • I posted this on the Flea Market, but I know a me who will also take Magic Cards off your hands.

Anyway, today some things came in the mail that I should've gotten a while ago. I ordered two albums from This Will Be Our Summer Records sometime in June, and got them today.
    Personally, I think trucker hats are over, but I love the "wet a paint brush and color" thing as shown at the bottom. It's sooo dorky. Also, I ordered some Euro Disney castle concept art when I was in Disneyland. I don't have a pic of it yet (I haven't hung it) but it looks a little something like this:
  • You have the same mouse that I have at work that I am using right now.
    Its a damn good mouse. I've been using it for years and have tried change mice twice, but I always come back to this one.

• I recently got myself a Sony Nex 7 . Still learning a lot about photography. Definite jump in quality compared to the point and shoots that I had.
    Yeah, that is supposed to be the best mirrorless camera out there. The only reason I didn't get it is because SONY evil, and also the lenses are some proprietary thing.
    It exactly fit what I needed and it was half off the list price for being an open box. I wasn't aware how evil sony was until you mentioned it. I'm really happy with it so far. As for the lenes, it has an adapter that can use other lenses. Is that what you mean by proprietary?
  • edited September 2012
    Can be cross-posted in Boo-Yah, HTPC, Computer, ToYD, Gaming, etc.

I'M SO HAPPY!

Now, I definitely need a new shelving unit to store all the things.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Very very nice, both of you.
  • I bought Tichu and Glen More to add to my collection
  • edited September 2012
    New 52 Batwoman! I loved the first few issues, but had to drop it for fiscal reasons. Did it stay good?
    I have a few issues with it for dragging things out and pretending to be a better book than it is. However, the first is kind of expected with just about all superhero books, and even with the second being true, its actual level of quality is still good enough to keep me interested in the story and invested in the characters (I continue to adore Kate Kane as a character, vampire-y skin be damned). Plus, in the end, the art just really is that good. It's good enough to make me want to own the series in a nice hardcover edition, such that it is basically an artbook that happens to have a plot.

If you want the perfect mix of plot and arts in a Batwoman book, pick up the lead-in to the series, Batwoman Elegy. It's Greg Rucka plus that awesome art; you can't go wrong.

And if you're wondering about the current state of the run, I like that this missing kids case isn't just like a one-off thing, but a lead-in to what looks like a larger plot. Also, Wonder Woman has just been brought in to deal with some Greek mythology-type stuff, which is some added cool. Always like badass womens teaming up. Plus, look at that cover. LOOK AT THAT COVER.

Post edited by Eryn on
  • Bought compendium 1 and 2 of the walking dead. Time for some comic reading.
  • Finally bit the bullet and got myself an iPad.
  • Bought time with a personal trainer. Two months, twice a week, half an hour at a time. I'm going to be able to lift everything anywhere. Seriously, when you see me at PAX you'll be able to point me to an object and say "Lift that." and I'll do it. Unless it's something stupid like a building or a person.
  • Use my Amazon points to get a blanket, a comforter, a whisk, and a slotted spoon. Winter is time for blankets and baking.
  • Use my Amazon points to get a blanket, a comforter, a whisk, and a slotted spoon. Winter is time for blankets and baking.
    Damn. I thought *I* had a lot of points saved up. That's quite a take.
    Amazon credit card points, I assume?
    Amazon credit card points, I assume?
    Yes. I even have some left over.

Oh, also bought a pillow. Might return it if I don't like it.

http://www.wastedtalent.ca/comic/fall-frenzy

For me, it's goulash making time.
  • I'll take some of that goulash. Never had it. Ship me some.
  • Oh man, I should make some beef stroganoff.