This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• edited January 2013

I needed a gamepad for the PC (the one I had before was a crappy old Saitek P150, which is like 10 years old and has no analog sticks). I tried to use my XBox controller but couldn't get it to work, partially because whenever I'd hit the home button my XBox would start up (it's located in the same room), so I chose this Logitech Rumblepad F510 as an alternative. It's a pretty nice gamepad really, though it is kind of odd going back to the PlayStation type of layout instead of the XBox one (the only real difference is the location of the D-Pad and the left analog stick). It is also kind of odd that there is a "vibration" button on it and you will hit it occasionally when you are looking for the Start Button at first, bit you get used to it.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited January 2013
    The Xbox controller is still the best PC controller - if only for the fact that so many games have built-in support for it, showing button icons on the screen and automatically configuring everything properly. If you were having issues with your wireless one, you could have just bought a wired one.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller-Black/dp/B003ZSN600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357506405&sr=8-1
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I thought about that, but this Logitech controller has all the same buttons as the XBox controller. Price point was identical also, so I don't think the difference is that great.
  • I hate how the wired controllers are sometimes more expensive than the wireless ones. Don't be a dick, Microsoft.
  • I actually like the PS3 controller a lot, and that can be used wired and wireless, assuming you have bluetooth. I prefer the shape. Especially on PC, you might want a gamepad with a good d-pad because of emulation of old games.
  • Grabbed Legend of Grimrock, Skyrim and The Walking Dead over the weekend. Looks like I've got some game playing ahead of me, I put a few hours into Grimrock yesterday and found it surprisingly fun. I'm usually not one for fantasy settings of any type, but it reminds me of old school adventure games a lot.

I am actually REALLY looking forward to Skyrim.
  • Your anticipation is justified. As slight as it may sound one thing that makes me like skyrim way more than morrowind is that it actually feels like my sword hits the enemy rather than just sort of waves in that direction. I can't say anything about Obvlion as I haven't played it. Also woo dual weilding spells. That's my 2 cents.

Also I'm really glad I ordered that knife because the price went back up a few hours later so I got lucky.
  • Trying to figure out what mods to apply now.
  • You want to install the Singing Troll mod. So your trolls run around singing Trololololololooooo
  • I'm a purist and I don't play Skyrim with mods. :-P
    You should try just playing the game a bit and see how you like it first. You might blur reality and not be able to tell between real game and mods. *-*

On a related note, Andrew got me Hearthfire for Skyrim! I'm building a house now, yay!
  • Thinking of picking up the THQ bundle on steam. Although I don't have a current computer that can run them I will at some point and it seems a pretty good deal. That or just get the Saints Row 3 one. Also picked up Burning Wheel Gold! Just waiting for it to ship.
  • Gorillapods might be worth a look too.
  • Gorillapods might be worth a look too.
    Already have.
  • I might just be dumb luck, but for some reason I've found decent tripods to be very easy yard sale finds. I rarely use them, but I have two stashed in my office closet just b/c they were dirt cheap when I saw them.
  • I've run through about five cheap (~$30-$50) tripods. They're fine unless you take them places or use them regularly, in which case they fall apart.

Go Manfrotto or go home. ;^)
  • Definitely a fan of second hand tripods, I'm amazed someone hasn't tried to make a new mount screw by now. Back in England, I had one from the 80s which worked like a champ.
  • I've run through about five cheap (~$30-$50) tripods. They're fine unless you take them places or use them regularly, in which case they fall apart.

Go Manfrotto or go home. ;^)
    Speaking as someone who has had to deal with cheap tripods whenever I make a film (either for class or for fun), I completely back this statement up. Using a Manfrotto tripod is one of those "Once you go this way, you'll never look back" situations

• I just purchased the old RPG "Underground 2021" primarily for it's awesome dark age comic book art.
  • All of the new Sailor Moon manga editions that have been put out so far. I've had a big hankering lately to go through Sailor Moon again lately, it's much easier to get through 50-some chapters of manga than 200-some episodes of anime, and I've never actually read it before, so hey.
  • Bought a Blair Crimmins and the Hookers t-shirt, and a replacement iPod. The only newer models I like are way out of my price range, so I got a 2nd or 3rd gen Nano.
  • All of the new Sailor Moon manga editions that have been put out so far. I've had a big hankering lately to go through Sailor Moon again lately, it's much easier to get through 50-some chapters of manga than 200-some episodes of anime, and I've never actually read it before, so hey.
    I pre-ordered the 9th one that came out today, and it just shipped! :D *has excite*
  • Trying to make 2013 the year of "buy nothing, use what I have." For reals this time.

So far so good. Only money spent on possessions for myself was $2 for a copy of Resident Evil 2 at a used record shop, and $0.30 for a copy of Balloon Fight on the new Wii U virtual console.
  • Among the things I ordred in the last few weeks on Amazon:

Netrunner expansions
    Tablecloth
    Lamp
    Lightbulb (grow light)
    XLR cable
    Card sleeves
    Running outerwear
    Running gloves
    Ear warmers
    Card box
    Eyeglass leash
    SM-57 foam windscreen
    Glory to Rome
    New insertion earbuds

• There is a great list of stuff that I really wish to get yet never quite get round to it. Part of the problem is that I need to start saving for traveling next year. That siad I did pick up Dodger and some more figures to sit on my desk.
  • I bought a House recently. A mighty fine House.
  • Who are you, the Koch brothers?
  • I am getting the Hyrule Historia today! :D
  • I am getting the Hyrule Historia today! :D
    I think I will be buying that today for my kid.
  • Among the things I ordred in the last few weeks on Amazon:

Lightbulb (grow light)

All those pot growing search results getting to you?