This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fail of Your Day

Comments

• I would hate to be prompted every few minutes. I often listen to a book for an hour or more in bed at night. That sounds annoying.
    I set it to 12 minutes. It calmly ticks in the background of the audio to ask if I'm still awake. If so, all I do is click volume up or volume down on my headphone cable remote. If I don't do that it rewinds 12 minutes back.

In the morning, when I wake, I don't have to wind back to find my place, only scrub forward.

It sounds crazy and annoying, but it's way nicer than either:
    1. falling asleep without a timer and the book playing on for hours and hours, then you have to remember chapter numbers and elapsed time.

2. having a normal sleep timer that stops the playback after a certain time, then if you're not asleep yet you have to wake the ipod to press play again and set the timer again. This is what I have to do with my iPod nano.
  • So this kid at my lunch table today begged me for acid and weed (neither of which I do...) because he thought he didn't do well on his Comp Sci test. I challenged him on this with the good ol' "Whats the worst that can happen?" line that people used to keep my head up so many times, and he responds with "Do you really think Columbia is going to accept someone into their science school with a A- in Comp Sci." So I say something to the effect of "dude, it's alright. You'll get in somewhere. I mean, I got a [redacted] GPA and I ain't even mad." and he says "yeah, but you're not asian" (I would say "welcome to post-racial america", but this is clearly some sort of psychosis and so it's not warranted).

Why do I never meet addicts during their honeymoon phase? I assume there is a point where it makes them happy (otherwise why would they do it so much that they get addicted?), so why do I never see that? It's like meeting me is some indicator that you've got a problem.
  • edited September 2013
    You have to see them high for that.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Wait, so he wanted to drop acid to take a CompSci test? That seems like the worst idea ever.
  • Nah, to forget about doing badly on a compsci test. Still a bad idea, slightly less nonsensical.
  • Ahh, yeah. Protip: Don't to psychedelic drugs when you're in a bad mood.
  • edited September 2013
    "Do you really think Columbia is going to accept someone into their science school with a A- in Comp Sci."
    What's up?

Just saying, kid doesn't know what he's talking about.
    On my end, I've been having a shitty first real week of school because I can't seem to get doing homework scheduled properly again.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • So I've been using my phone for a few months without a cover no problem. My brother visits, picks up phone and accidentally drops it. The phone continued to play the youtube video fine but there is a minor chip to the metal work of the otherwise unblemished phone.

Got a Kickstarter wallet in the mail but the manufacturing process on it was terrible, the custom back and front had the incorrect colour to it the metal parts of the wallet came in chipped and scratched, stuff is all glued together messily and worst of all, on the inside there was a distinct nose hair embedded into the middle of one of the rubber straps.

This is after it was 4 months late. I looked up what others were thinking on the Kickstarter and everyone had the similar problems. Apparently the guy faked his identity, he is Russian not from the US west coast, his face book and web page were also fake.

I think he gamed Kickstarter for $10 - 20,000
  • RIT is fucked.
  • Semesters that bad? Damn. Not looking forward to Spring semester. At least it'll be my last.
  • edited September 2013
    For one, we're on an institute-wide financial hold. We are millions short of our anticipated budget. The semester change has also caused lots of departmental problems, affecting everything from class scheduling to student organizations, causing morale to be at an all-time low.

On a personal note, I'm taking 5 classes and I haven't learned anything - we have no time anymore for in-class exercises, so our first attempt at actually using the material are the homeworks and tests, all of which are weighted heavily due to aforementioned lack of exercises.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Yeah. I was worried when I saw the length of my classes in the Spring.

Poor, sad RIT. Changing your entire organizational structure is probably not a great idea, especially not all at once.

And the fact that SIS is still broken and feature incomplete is not helping anything.
  • "why are all my friends either druggies or suicidally depressed?"
    "Well, you're both, so it makes sense."
    "I'm not a druggie."

Same kid as yesterday.

Also, how's SIS broken and incomplete? My school uses it without trouble.
  • That kid sounds like a dick.
  • RIT's SIS is broken. Sorry, should've been more specific.
  • edited September 2013
    "why are all my friends either druggies or suicidally depressed?"
    "Well, you're both, so it makes sense."
    "I'm not a druggie."

Same kid as yesterday.
    People who know what it is to be really sad tend to hang out with people who can empathize. People who have been or are that sad often enjoy drugs. I had the same experience long before I got into drugs.

Post edited by Walker on
  • Yeah, all of my classes other than ASL meet M-W-F, and ASL's M-T-W-Th so it's not much better. Between classes and a lab I have class from 8-5 on Mondays. And this was literally the only possible schedule I could take, and that's after subbing out the math class I was supposed to take this semester for the one for next semester. It's bullshit.
  • Going back and trying to relearn photoshop is really had. Its been about ten years since I last used it and boy have things changed. Good job I have free time to spend on this.
  • My cat is missing. She's been gone for 14 hours and she's an indoors cat. Fuck.
  • 20,000 posts in the fail thread.
  • 20,000 posts in the fail thread.
    Actually, your post was #19,999. THIS is the 20,000th post.
  • edited September 2013
    No, Victor's post was 20 000th.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • It must be different for different people. Maybe due to private posts in the old vanilla?
  • edited September 2013
    You're right. I wonder why that is. It actually should be Luke's post with 50 posts to a page...
    It must be different for different people. Maybe due to private posts in the old vanilla?
    Yeah I thought about that, but I think the PM posts went away after the update.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The PM posts got moved to the PMs. And it's not 50 posts to a page any more. It's 51. We hit 20,000 unceremoniously a while ago.
  • And it's not 50 posts to a page any more. It's 51. We hit 20,000 unceremoniously a while ago.
    And this will be my fail of the day.
  • I'm confused. The post count said 20 000. How did it already happen?
  • Really guys, your messages of consolation and sympathy have been uplifting and touching to say the least.
  • I hope you find your kitty!
  • Really guys, your messages of consolation and sympathy have been uplifting and touching to say the least.
    I want you to know that I had a desperate desire to make a snarky remark, but I refrained because that's not cool.

I hope you find your kitty too!