This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ConnectiCon 2016

ConnectiCon 2016 is July 7-10

The con is moving to a managed back-end going forward. So if you're going to submit events, you can make an account here on Growtix. That will be your "official" ConnectiCon account going forward, instead of the old web site.

https://register.growtix.com/signup

Comments

• Can we all agree to use the phrase "in the future" rather than "going forward"? At least not twice in two sentences in a row.
  • Connecticon, just doing whatever it wants without consulting us.
  • Can we all agree to use the phrase "in the future" rather than "going forward"? At least not twice in two sentences in a row.

It's how you can tell someone works(or has worked) in an managerial or executive capacity - the frequency with which they use "Going forward" instead of "In the future." Try it at your workplace today!
  • Going forward into the future...
  • Going forward, it will be our policy to implement action items. Please advise.
  • Apreche said:

Connecticon, just doing whatever it wants without consulting us.

They would consult us if we were willing to deal with anything above our current station. Do you really, truly want to have any part of anything above or outside of panels, workshops, and special events? ;^)
  • From what little I have heard about the inner workings that does seem like the Danger Zone.
  • Is there a panel submission yet or are we still waiting for the back end to be done?
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Connecticon, just doing whatever it wants without consulting us.

They would consult us if we were willing to deal with anything above our current station. Do you really, truly want to have any part of anything above or outside of panels, workshops, and special events? ;^)
    And you'd have to actually go to Hartford more than once a year.
  • edited February 2016
    Sharing a state with Hartford always makes me think I'm actually close to it. I'm not. Stamford is still farther than I'd like to travel to Hartford. And WAY too far to actually commute to the con, but too close to justify getting a hotel. I will stop at connection. Have a day pass, play tons of board games and then leave. It will be a good, singular day.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Note that the hours of the convention center are now only until 9pm. The last three hours of the con are being cut off and relegated only to the hotel.
  • Rym said:

Note that the hours of the convention center are now only until 9pm. The last three hours of the con are being cut off and relegated only to the hotel.

It might be a good singular part of a day.
  • Rym said:

Note that the hours of the convention center are now only until 9pm. The last three hours of the con are being cut off and relegated only to the hotel.

Woah, really? What prompted this change? CTCon related stuffs or convention center related stuffs?
  • Yay no more 18+ content (I hope)
  • edited February 2016
    Wonder what happens when you close a convention earlier compared to other years.. Do room parties increase? Guess we'll find out!
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

Wonder what happens when you close a convention earlier compared to other years.. Do room parties increase? Guess we'll find out!

I'll tell you what happens. At least one staff per panel room at all times. Bring your books and 3DSes.
  • There will still be 18+ content. The guests want to do a bunch every year.

It'll be on a per-room basis, with the restriction that there can not be more than one 18+ event at any given time, and if the room changes (e.g., from a small room to a large room), there will be sufficient buffer to shift staff.

The change is partly money-driven, and partly driven by the fact that most attendees clear out before 9 already. Later nights may return in the future.

I believe tabletop will be where the "dance" currently is held. So much quieter.
  • Rym said:

I believe tabletop will be where the "dance" currently is held. So much quieter.

Confused kids with glowsticks milling around in tabletop. Glitter flaking onto all the cards.
  • pence said:

Rym said:

Confused kids with glowsticks milling around in tabletop. Glitter flaking onto all the cards.
    They have Disco Bowling. Why not Disco Tumblin' Dice?!?!
  • Apreche said:

pence said:

Rym said:

They have Disco Bowling. Why not Disco Tumblin' Dice?!?!
    I'll take laser meeples please!
  • Rym said:

There will still be 18+ content. The guests want to do a bunch every year.

It'll be on a per-room basis, with the restriction that there can not be more than one 18+ event at any given time, and if the room changes (e.g., from a small room to a large room), there will be sufficient buffer to shift staff.

The change is partly money-driven, and partly driven by the fact that most attendees clear out before 9 already. Later nights may return in the future.

Can we bring back the Pub Crawl?
  • The pub crawl is coming back. And since there's no main con content after 9, it'll be bigger than ever.

Aaaaand... you staff can easily go to it.
  • Hmm... Go to ConnectiCon or buy GH4? Buy a GH4.
  • Hmm... Go to ConnectiCon or buy GH4? Buy a GH4.

GH4 is old already. Get a SONY A7S.
  • edited March 2016
    A7s has the 30 minute recording limit. The lack of that time limit on the GH4 is the only reason I wouldn't be buying either
    A. A Samsung NX500 or NX1, and just dealing with the limit because, hey I already have NX lenses.
    or B. a proper Canon camcorder which I will use primarily for my panels and my future documentary style projects.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Even the non Europe model has the limit? Wow. The new a7s2 is supposed to be the king of video. It has the best image quality. And can see in the dark.
  • Rym said:

ConnectiCon 2016 is July 7-10

The con is moving to a managed back-end going forward. So if you're going to submit events, you can make an account here on Growtix. That will be your "official" ConnectiCon account going forward, instead of the old web site.

https://register.growtix.com/signup

I made an account. When can we start submitting panels?
  • I wish I knew.
  • So, someone who went to the Steven Universe panel at CTcon last year showed up at my How to do a Panel panel at HanadokiCon today. This is a tiny con (1400 attendees) in San Diego.
    Fuckin' weird.
  • Yesterday, I made the recommendation that the Screenings department be discontinued. Kristin and Matt agreed. Ultimately I couldn't put together a program that met the vision for the convention, within the available resources. We could have cobbled together something really basic, but the effort/benefit ratio just wasn't there. So, time to declare victory and move on.