This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Patreon Launches

Comments

• And still they continue. With bonus links to slides from some of our panels, including the new one I'm still working on.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/ryms-rants-003-3954281
  • Rym's Rants on video and the work I'm doing for the Utena episodes.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4124399
  • Wish there was a Scott's Rants as well, where was the competing content?
  • edited January 2016
    sK0pe said:

Wish there was a Scott's Rants as well, where was the competing content?

I seem to recall some old saying about getting what you pay for.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Wish there was a Scott's Rants as well, where was the competing content?

I seem to recall some old saying about getting what you pay for.
    I'm paying too :wink:
  • Rym said:
    It's me, the guy that enjoys Innovation and records his board game plays. But I wasn't the one who asked about it, because I already know the answer. The delta between when I submitted my question and when the episode was recorded was long enough that I was surprised by hearing my own question, though :P
  • It's me, the guy who has "Earnest Goes to Camp" pretty high on a list of movies he's going to be watching in the next year so that he can peg the ideal time to show them to his daughter (or avoid at all costs upon reconsideration).

God damn I loved that movie as a kid.

But let's get real, Rescue 911 with fat Wil Shatner was better than Unsolved Mysteries.
  • The first and last time I remember being super-disappointed by revisiting something as an adult was Mighty Max cartoon... because after the first time it stops being surprising.
  • I have not logged into Patreon since the first week, until today. But these two Q&A were pretty damn amusing, and helped me get through 2 hours of painful PowerPoint editing.

I think I got myself involved in the board game industry for the same reasons that Rym started GeekNights. I was somebody in college, and wanted that feeling back. While getting an Engineering degree, I was simultaneously the vice president of student government and the president of campus-wide Greek life (coming from the nerd fraternity, no small feat), among many other activities and positions. Those years were awesome. I got a similar feeling showing up to a board game con when I was Mr. MTV/Wired. Now I'm older and don't care, let most of that stuff go, but it's still fun, and I get that itch every now and then.
  • pence said:

The first and last time I remember being super-disappointed by revisiting something as an adult was Mighty Max cartoon... because after the first time it stops being surprising.

Should have watched Fantastic Max instead.

• I have slightly modified my name on Patreon. Dunno if I did it in time for the next episode but eh.
  • So when are we going to get all the Patreons together to change our names, in order of $ donated, into a long, continuing story that Rym must read. New chapter every episode.
  • Apreche said:

Should have watched Fantastic Max instead.

I... I've never heard a song with the words "4-ply diaper" in it so many times.
  • Matt said:

So when are we going to get all the Patreons together to change our names, in order of $ donated, into a long, continuing story that Rym must read. New chapter every episode.

Yes, let's do it. Someone write weird fanfiction.
  • Not gonna lie. It's hard to not start laughing because of some of you. ;^)
  • Everyone change their name to "toy boat".
  • pence said:

Everyone change their name to "toy boat".

• I wish there was a card like Artificial Evolution that could affect any text, now.

• Rym said:
    Why is Patreon's website such a shitshow, especially from mobile? I just want to copy the mp3 url so I can download it in VLC on my phone. Even on wifi the post fails to load.
  • I use the mobile app.
  • edited January 2016
    Holy cats, Patreon may have taken my app feedback seriously, because I can now easily get the mp3 url. Excellent!
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • Please make an RSS feed.
  • Please make an RSS feed.

That's a pain to curate. Patreon just handles everything in terms of who's a patron and who isn't. ;^)

Episode from tonight didn't go up on the site yet due to an error that Scott has to deal with. So it's up on Patreon ahead of that being fixed.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4153251
  • Rym said:

Please make an RSS feed.

That's a pain to curate. Patreon just handles everything in terms of who's a patron and who isn't. ;^)
    I wish Patreon had an API, then I could just roll my own.
  • Remember how I was "writing" a "podcasting guide"?

Found a draft.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4155923
  • January Q&A question form.
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/4209120

The poll is up a little late, since I am out of town all next week after PAX and we can't record until the second week of February.

There's a small update on Utena in there, but for those of you not giving us money, the gist is that I'll get the first new Utena episode up BEFORE I work on getting the PAX panel videos up.
  • Oh, and we have THEMES for the Q&A episodes now. The theme for this one is "Advice." Questions don't have to be within the theme, but it's cool if they are.