This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Patreon Launches

Comments

• Apreche said:

Matt said:

More exercise means extended life, means MORE PAXES

Might as well drink that soylent garbage.
    Thank you Scott. As a GeekNights superfan, I've been looking for this sort of guidance in my life. Today, I switched my entire family over to soylent.

• RymRym
    edited March 2016
    As was promised, Emily and I reviewed a movie on the Patreon just for backers.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4548775

The Case of Hana and Alice.

We'll do these sporadically for the time being (often when there won't be GeekNights for whatever reason). But the bonus goal after the beta episodes is us doing this on a regular schedule!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

The money itself is all going in a pool, and when such a time comes that we can do something amazing with that money, it'll fund the project.

Hookers 'n blow
  • I think Emily and I will do Jessica Jones next on "Rymily Reviews." ;^)
  • I'm backed up on episodes but I love when Scott goes on a tear about not wasting our money on you. Fuck you Scott, I like you and I want to see you produce more stuff, and obviously to do that you have to replace your income because you're living in New York, which is only slightly less fuckoff expensive than San Francisco.

In conclusion: Don't tell me what is and is not a waste of my money. If I thought you were a waste I wouldn't be spending it on you.
  • Rym said:

I think Emily and I will do Jessica Jones next on "Rymily Reviews." ;^)

Smart choice on name order, Emarym sounds like a generic fantasy novel.
  • Unless it's directly funding some hate group or whatever, I personally don't give a fuck what the money goes towards. I actually really doubt the money is going to be that directly useful for producing more content, for reasons Scott said (i.e.: Rym already has monies + the ability to make trivial sacrifices if he needs more monies). I'm treating this like a small entertainment package I'm paying for on a monthly basis, same way I pay for Crunchyroll or Netflix and don't really care what they use my money for as long as it's not evil. The GeekNights Patreon entertainment package currently offers the following, all of which I feel is worth sacrificing, like, one sandwich a month:

- Getting my name announced out loud several times a month in the thing I like (not a thing you can get Netflix or Hulu to do for you!)
    - Access to Rym's Rants, Rymily Reviews, and most importantly the Q&A episodes, which are basically bonus GeekNights (which is great by me regardless of how little Scott values the show's quality).
    - Ability to effectively say "Dance, monkey, dance!" by getting Scrym to include my questions in the Q&A shows. This is, like, emperor style privilege to make someone entertain you exactly as you want -- and again not something you'd get from a service like Netflix or Hulu.

...And okay, I'll admit: I also just want to donate because I've been listening to GeekNights for almost a decade, and I really wanted to give something back, even if it's inconsequential. Again, Scott may not think it's much, and may even think it's dangerous, but I really do treasure GeekNights. It is a big part of my young and continuing adulthood. It's been there for me since I first started going to university and needed some podcasts to listen to on my daily transit commutes; since I panicked and dropped out of university after realizing I hated the program I was in; since I worked several retail jobs for a few years, just enjoying life while making money for fun, food & rent; since I finally decided I wanted to go into Film Studies and went back to university; since I graduated with my Bachelor of Arts this past summer; and now as I work at making a name for myself as a content creator in my own right, with my own growing batch of fans that I am overwhelmed by and am not sure should be listening to me as much as they are. GeekNights has been there all that time giving me entertainment, insights, recommendations, community, teaching me not to trust people just because they sound authoritative and cocksure on a podcast, etc. etc... ;)

So yeah. The show really does mean a lot to me, and I'm more than happy to throw $5 a month its way for at least a little while, even if it's just a symbolic gesture. The fact that it gets me "dance monkey dance" privileges is just the icing on the cake. ^_~
  • edited March 2016
    Personally, I'm with Scott a little bit on the fact that I really don't care about hearing my name at the end of each episode. If anything, I actually don't like that aspect of it because it reminds me of the fan pandering that made me turn away from other podcasts.

The reason I do contribute though is because I see it as a way of giving back to something I've gotten a lot of entertainment and, on occasion, knowledge out of. Even if Rym and Scott don't need the money, I would be okay with them using it towards funding cool projects. Another scenario that I could see being viable is using the money to outsource the more mundane aspects of production. Rym has already talked at length about how much work goes into video editing. Get enough money and you guys could start a more efficient pipeline by paying a third party to do the bulk of the production work. Just because we don't need to pay you for your time doesn't mean you can't use our money to pay for someone else's.
    Post edited by theknoxinator on
  • Churba said:

Rym said:

I think Emily and I will do Jessica Jones next on "Rymily Reviews." ;^)

Smart choice on name order, Emarym sounds like a generic fantasy novel.
    I would pay to read that one.
  • My only complaint with patreon is that if I want to change my name to mess with Rym I have to change it on ALL my donations. I don't know if Jon Fawkes or Angela from Wasted Talent look over the names of their patrons but it's still annoying to make an inside joke with my name that they might think is tasteless (to be fair, it is).
  • I so would like to change my Patreon name to mess with Rym, but that would mess with my own Patreon creator page, so sadly I cannot. Le sigh.
  • Create a Geeknights-Patreon-only account, obvs. ;)
  • well now that I made Rym say 'titty sprinkles' (and lampshades the fact) I wonder if there's something you could put as your name that he would flat out refuse to say on the Patreon segment.
  • I still wish we could get every single Patreon to change their names into one giant Mad Libs-esque collaborative GeekNights fan fiction, but that dream is dead. I'm pretty much out of funny ideas so it's coming up on time to move my $5 around to some other creator for a bit. I'll be back.
  • Matt said:

I still wish we could get every single Patreon to change their names into one giant Mad Libs-esque collaborative GeekNights fan fiction, but that dream is dead. I'm pretty much out of funny ideas so it's coming up on time to move my $5 around to some other creator for a bit. I'll be back.

You could change your name to Vash the s
    stampede's full name.
  • I've had a plan for a while, but haven't taken the time to implement it. Maybe I'll write it up tonight.
  • I'm going to launch something fun on the Patreon later tonight to sate these dark urges. Stay tuned.

Also Emily and I will probably review Zootopia before the week is out.
  • A new Rym's Rants, this time on an idea I am developing for an RPG.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4818622
  • edited March 2016
    Ok, straight up, I like this idea for a game. I have a group of friends I wanna try it out on. But that'd mean I've got writing to do. I'd like to play and actually have it work. I can't play really. I already know there's a gun and I'd be writing all the roles. But I have an idea:

First I prep the group, perhaps some time in advance saying I've got an idea for a 1 night larp, however I wanna make it super seriousface larping, so for this individual larp, no breaking character. I won't be participating per se, but I'll be involved in so far as it's a fancy dinner party and I'll be playing the roll of garçon. Silent fulfiller of requests for more food and drink and probably in the employ of one of the characters (written into the character's sheet of course). If the characters have ooc requests or questions, I can be called over and whisper clarify.

From this spot I can observe and even participate using just subtle body language in response to some of the remarks made by the characters. The reason this probably won't happen is I don't actually see myself writing up 4 actual characters fleshed out enough to have conflict with one another while leaving my players enough wiggle room to actually make their characters their own.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • This could be set up a few ways. It could double blinded. For example, the game box comes with:

All the character sheets in envelopes.
    Each envelope in a second envelope.
    The gun and instructions what to do with the gun (tape it under the bottom of a chair) in the correct envelope.

Person 1 enters the room and randomly places the envelopes onto the seats of four matching chairs. They open the outer envelopes and follow the instructions. They leave the room.
    Person 2 enters and shuffle all the chairs. Not the papers on the chairs, but the chairs themselves. They leave.

Everyone enters and sits down in a random seat.

Person 1 knows there is a gun. They don't know who has the gun under their seat, nor what character sheet goes along with the gun.
  • Taped to the bottom of the seat along with the gun are dice and another set of envelopes. The player points the gun at their target, says bang, then rolls the dice. They open the envelope with that number, read the outcome "you missed" or "shot your target in the gut and they will bleed out and die 20 minutes from now" or "instant death".

Inside the envelope is also instructions for the next stage of the game, so each player gets their final goal to achieve in that last 20 minutes before the play dies/ the police arrive/ etc. Of a player gets their goal, they flip over their card to show they made it.

Whoever reaches their final goal closest to the end of the game wins, so timing your revelation/statement you want someone else to say/getting hold of the gun yourself to that last minute is very important and increases the drama. Or you get your goal first and then spend the last 15 minutes trying to stop other players from reaching their goal, even though you don't know what they are aiming for.
  • The February Q&A Special is up!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4846146

The Rymily Review of Zootopia will be up this Friday.
  • Didn't realize so much of a fix message was arbitrary so long as it was agreed upon by both parties. I just had an issue recently where a compliance officer was asking for some specific bit of order info that needed to be reported and had to chase it all the way back to the actual fix message to realize that that wasn't provided to the firm and was still with the vendor.

I heard about this and thought, why didn't the first person she asked just know that they didn't have it? Why did IT have to dig into individual orders and look for a pattern? Looks like because it's different every time.
  • Guitar:

To not strum one of the strings in the middle of a chord, you mute that string by touching it with one of your left fingers. Either a spare finger or by the side of a finger pressed on adjacent string.
  • Guitar:

To not strum one of the strings in the middle of a chord, you mute that string by touching it with one of your left fingers. Either a spare finger or by the side of a finger pressed on adjacent string.

If you touch it with a left finger, won't it sound a note based on where you touch it?
  • Despite all I said on the Q&A show about myself and interactions with stringed instruments... I think I'm a better guitar player than Scott.
  • Apreche said:

Guitar:

If you touch it with a left finger, won't it sound a note based on where you touch it?
    Not unless you press it to the fretboard.
  • Rym said:

Despite all I said on the Q&A show about myself and interactions with stringed instruments... I think I'm a better guitar player than Scott.

Maybe, but you're not better than 5th grade Scott.
  • Wow. I never understood how guitar players could be wildly strumming away and only hitting 4 out of 5 strings. Until now. It all makes sense.
  • Matt said:

Wow. I never understood how guitar players could be wildly strumming away and only hitting 4 out of 5 strings. Until now. It all makes sense.

I realized this is the same kind of feeling I get when trying to learn ANYTHING about programming... except for the part where it makes sense at the end. So much domain knowledge and magic words that is banded about by people who have been doing it decades that a non-expert like me just fumbles around until something happens to work (about 10% of the time) or I give up (90% of the time).