This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo questions

edited October 2006 in Video Games
I'm really getting ready to pull the trigger on a game system.

If I only get one system in the near future, which should it be - a DS Lite or the Wii?

What are my chances on getting a Wii prior to Christmas if I haven't pre-ordered? Keep in mind that in my area, the only stores within a reasonable driving distance (less than 2 hours) are Wal-Mart and Radio Shack. Mail-order is a way of life here.

Also, let's be honest and forget the fanboy stuff. Are the Wii graphics about the same as the PS2, or are they somewhere in between the PS2 and the PS3? I don't need the greatest graphics, but I have seen some screen shots with some pretty bad jaggies, such as this:

Comments

• You have to remember that these are early screen shots of first gen software. The first games for the 360 and the PS2 and original X-box all looked a lot like the gen before it because the games were designed for the previous gen and were "upgraded" I figure we'll see pretty Wii games soon enough.
  • Take twilight princess for example.
  • I wouldn't have much of an opinion normally but between the Wii and the DS Lite right now I'd say go with the DS Lite simply because there's a wide range of games already available (many of them already dropped/dropping in price) and the fleeting chance of a Geeknights DS wifi gaming thing some day. :p
  • edited October 2006
    Well... my birthday is coming up before the Wii is released, so I think I'll go ahead and ask for a DS Lite.

What are some game recommendations?

I'm getting too old for this stuff, so preferably something that does not require superior timing. (I was never a huge fan of "run and shoot" games.) I like games that make you think. I also like a good story, which is why puzzle games are not my favorite. Having said that, I've never played D&D in my life... so an RPG is fine as long as it isn't too complicated. (Any game that requires you to learn 1000 spells makes me think that I'm doing something that is way too nerdy.) Something with an open world and/or story is also appealing.

Any thoughts?

One other note: has anyone tried Lost In Blue? The survival aspect appeals to me - but it looks like it might be a little juvenile.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • It sounds like you want to play Brain Training (Not Big Brain Academy), Phoenix Wright, Advance Wars, Mario vs. DK: M arch of the Minis and Mario+Luigi: Partners in time. I also suggest getting some good ol' GBA games that work in your DS such as the other Advance Wars, Fire Emblem 1 and 2, Mario+Luigi: Superstar Saga, Golden Sun 1 and 2 and Mario vs. DK 1. Also look at any games in the Touch Generations line, those are meant for old people.
  • edited October 2006
    Just a heads up... I found this when I was researching games for my soon-to-be-owned DS Lite.
    Toysrus.com has "buy 2 get a 3rd free" going on for many DS games. Many new and popular games are included, such as Sims 2, Trauma Center, Star Fox Command, Age of Empires, etc.

Now if only they would release some eurogames (boardgames) for the DS...
  • I am clearly one of the oldest people on the board, but my favorite DS Lite games are Bomberman and Advance Wars (thanks Scott). The new Zelda III looks teh awesome.

I saw the Xplay review of the Wii and (dare I even say this?) I was NOT impressed by the graphics at all.
  • I saw the Xplay review of the Wii and (dare I even say this?) I was NOT impressed by the graphics at all.
    Rather than rant again I will just say one thing.

Oh noes! This pong is so much less fun because the graphics are so crap!
  • I was NOT impressed by the graphics at all.
    1st gen game graphics are always crap look at PS1 games from the begining of the console launch to the end. PS2 as well.
  • Take it with a grain of salt, but there are some comparison shots with the Gamecube here.
  • Yea, I think those shots prove that I'll be content with the gfx especially considering the focus is on gameplay.
  • If you're looking for puzzles AND story then Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village could be a nice addition in the future. I know I'm looking forward to it and your comment immediately put me in mind of it.
  • I'll be content with the gfx
    Okay, I'm ignorant. What's the gfx?
  • Okay, I'm ignorant. What's the gfx?
    gfx is short for graphics. Doy.
  • Okay, I'm ignorant. What's the gfx?
    gfx is short for graphics. Doy.
    Oh...I was going to say GREAT FUCKING EFFECTS!

• Oh...I was going to say GREAT FUCKING EFFECTS!
    How does x stand for effect?
  • How does x stand for effect?
    effects==fx i.e sfx (special effects)
  • How does x stand for effect?
    effects==fx i.e sfx (special effects)
    So then it would be great effects, the fucking steals the f.
  • gfx is short for graphics.
    Thanks. Where was Mr. Period when I needed him?
  • edited October 2006
    One more question...

I don't live near an EBGames/Gamestop. About once a month, I'm in a town where this is one. The Toys R Us sale ends in a couple of days, about two weeks prior to my next potential visit to a videogame store.

So... can anyone tell me what the used prices tend to be like at EB/Gamestop? If it's at least 1/3 less than full retail, then I don't see the Toys R Us sale being worth it.

I'm assuming that used cartridges are pretty darn reliable. Is this a safe assumption?
  • edited October 2006
    The used prices at EB/Gamestop vary wildly. The availability of used games also varies wildly. If you want to get a game that is not popular and not rare used, prices can dip down to $10 or even $5. Trying to get a used copy of Pheonix Wright will not save you money at all. Also, the odds of finding a used Phoenix Wright are pretty much nil, but you can be guaranteed to find a used copy of Mario 64 DS for maybe $15 or $20 at any EB/Gamestop. A used copy of the crappy Atari classics will be almost free. That's one of the only reasons I own that game. I think I got it from Media Play when it was going out of business.

Whenever we happen to be near an EB/Gamestop we always stop in, even if just for a minute, to browse the used game selection. You never know what used game will turn up at what price. It's almost always worth at least 5 minutes of your time to just take a peek, even if you don't buy anything.

Also, don't forget eBay.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Also, don't forget eBay.
    Yeah, I've been checking Ebay out. It's hit or miss, but deals can be found. My only pet peeve is the number of sellers that charge huge shipping for something that can fit in a padded envelope. I know Ebay is supposed to be cracking down on this, but it's still out of control.
  • Also, don't forget eBay.
    Yeah, I've been checking Ebay out. It's hit or miss, but deals can be found. My only pet peeve is the number of sellers that charge huge shipping for something that can fit in a padded envelope. I know Ebay is supposed to be cracking down on this, but it's still out of control.
    I agree. One of the biggest things keeping me from selling on eBay is the difficulty of figuring out shipping costs. Without a special setup with a scale, it isn't easy for me to calculate shipping costs on the fly. I think the same goes for other eBay sellers. Rather than lose money on shipping, they play it safe and just have a huge shipping cost. If it actually costs less to ship, they don't care because it covers the eBay listing fee.

I wonder if it is possible for PayPal to setup some system where shipping money is held in escrow, and when the actual shipping cost is revealed each party receives the appropriate amount of money. It probably is too complicated to work, but it would be nice.
  • Another problem is that the seller never knows the location of the buyer until after the auction is won. They don't know the real shipping cost until after the auction, but they have to announced the shipping cost before the auction. How to avoid this problem?
  • Scott,

I noticed that you did not suggest Age of Empires. Any reason for this, or was it an omission?
  • Scott,

I noticed that you did not suggest Age of Empires. Any reason for this, or was it an omission?
    I've never played any Age of Empires game in my life, so I can't say.
  • Gamefly pisses me off. DS games are $20-$35. New PS3 games are $70. Yet... Gamefly does not offer a cheaper membership for DS users. In other words, PS3 users get at least twice the value from a Gamefly membership.
  • Gamefly pisses me off. DS games are $20-$35. New PS3 games are $70. Yet... Gamefly does not offer a cheaper membership for DS users. In other words, PS3 users get at least twice the value from a Gamefly membership.
    Maybe, if you look at it financially speaking. I think the DS users probably get the better deal. There are a lot more DS games, that are probably a lot more fun than most PS games. It's not about how much money you would have to pay if you wanted to buy it. It's about how much fun you get for the money you do spend on Gamefly.
  • Full review of Wii Sports posted here. I'm still in "wait and see" mode.
  • Full review of Wii Sportsposted here.I'm still in "wait and see" mode.
    God, this person completely missed the point. Nintendo included Wii Sports as a proof of concept. It is incredibly simple because it has to be to show of exactly what they are trying to do. Nintendo is doing something smart. Other companies (like EA) with their big sports franchises can come in and do a more complex and deep sports game. If Nintendo would have gone all out. It would have been screwing over the companies that it's trying to lure back to it. Wii Sports is a Tech Demo.