This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo questions

2»

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Cremlian,

I agree. No doubt much better games will come along.

What do you think about the "wrist flick" issue that has been confirmed in Zelda and Wii Sports? Do you think this was purposely done? Is it a software issue or a hardware issue? If it's a hardware issue then I am somewhat concerned.

The one other issue that concerned me was this:
    " You might swing your racket to the left, for instance, and the ball will go flying off to the right, anyway. "

Hopefully that won't be repeated in other games.

Again, I'm chomping at the bit to buy a Wii. I just figure I'll wait to see if these are genuine issues first.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Your talking about how most movements are done with just a wrist flick in wii Tennis? I know if your referring to the sword swings in Zelda, they originally thought that it wouldn't be fun to do larger swings (uh.. don't know who thought that one through)^_^, then recently, they realized that it probably would. (I had thought they had added the option to swing it more then just a flick) Again, When Mario Tennis comes out for the Wii you'll probably see a way more complex tennis game. (at least one hopes!)
  • edited October 2006
    Hmm... Upon further research, I wonder if the "wrist flick" issue is a hardware issue. (By "wrist flick," I mean that a simple wrist flick does the same thing as full-motion.)

Here is a quote from this article.

And while the accelerometers can detect motion, it cannot tell exactly where the controller is in 3D space nor exactly how much you have moved it. This means you will not be able to control the next Fight Night on Wii by punching like a real boxer in real time. Alas, virtual realty has not arrived to this extent just yet.

I wonder if gyros would have fixed this issue. Then again, I'm probably getting too picky, which is what I do before making any large purchase. It's a bad habit I have.
  • Then again, I'm probably getting too picky, which is what I do before making any large purchase. It's a bad habit I have.
    Oh mans, you think $250 is a large purchase? I just casually bought a winter coat for $200. I'd worry far less about a Wii. I'm sure if you don't like it, you can sell it on eBay.
  • It's not so much the $250 - it's $250 plus all of the other crap I will undoubtedly purchase. It's also about being much less likely to purchase a competing system since I already own the Wii.

Maybe it's not so much the money, but the commitment.
  • Oh mans, you think $250 is a large purchase?
    hmmm.. 250 eh. My Wii Pre-order is 250. Plus 2 more controllers (60 dollars), plus 3 games. Since I don't have the memory cards lieing around that the Wii will use I'll probably be buying that and a Classic Controller. So 250 the Wii is not! However, PS3 is not 600 bucks more like 800 or 900 dollars if you ever get one. Not everyone can count on their roomates to buy a controller.. :-(
  • I heard the classic controller will be free if you buy enough Wii points. I also imaging I'll get at least a meager free goody at the Nintendo store.
  • edited November 2006
    Another report after several hours of hands on experience can be found here.

Some consistent impressions with the above reviews:
    Tennis played nicely, although it gets boring after a few rounds. Once you and your opponent(s) get the hang of it, rounds can last quite long. When my opponent also found out that by simply twisting the wiimote in the air he could return every ball I hit at him, the game became quite boring actually.

Overall, though, he seemed to enjoy Wii Sports. That's encouraging.

It seems as if the positive reviews outnumber the negative - by a good margin. Sounds encouraging.
  • Why are all the reviews of Wii Sports? Wii Sports is the solitaire of the Wii. The reason Solitaire was originally included with Windows was so that people could build skills with the mouse. Prior to Windows people didn't really use the Mouse. It was necessary to have some way to encourage people to use the mouse for semi-long periods of time and build skills. This is why Wii Sports is free with the Wii. It only exists as a way for people to get used to handling the Wii-mote. Once you are the master of Wii Sports Tennis, you'll be good to go on all the real games. Mario Tennis is going to be the real tennis game.

In conclusion, reviewing Wii Sports is like reviewing Solitaire.
  • I think the one difference with Wii Sports is that it is the one title aimed at getting non-gamers to buy into the Wii. It's the one game that everyone will have, and thus the game that most people will see. For that reason, it needs to be a good, if not great, game.
  • In other words, just like Solitaire.
  • I think the one difference with Wii Sports is that it is the one title aimed at getting non-gamers to buy into the Wii. It's the one game that everyone will have, and thus the game that most people will see. For that reason, it needs to be a good, if not great, game.
    Well Apparently Bowling is the bomb. So There you go. Throw enough tech demo's until one sticks. Now go get Zelda, Rayman, Redsteel and Monkeyball and play the games where the real action is.
  • Don't forget the Metal Slug anthology. I'm looking forward to that the most right now.
  • edited November 2006
    Are all the old Nintendo cartridge games going to be available as one big Wii-disc collection? Or is it all online?

I've been extremely out-of-touch with the whole gaming console craze (my last console was a Super Famicon :P ), so I've got a good deal to catch up on.
    Post edited by Kidder on
  • edited November 2006
    Well... I've been reading some hands on reports for the PS3, and it doesn't seem like the X-Box has much to worry about. The difference between the two appears to be quite marginal.

So a question... a lot of posters have argued that these next-gen machines are basically making suckers out of the consumers. In other words, you just aren't getting that much in return for the huge investment. (New consoles, new controllers, more expensive games, etc. - all for some graphical improvement with no real change in gameplay) What do you folks think?

This is where the Wii seems to differ - in that it's a whole different experience from the Gamecube. Heck, the DS is an entirely new experience and look how that's kicking butt.

As it stands right now, my money is on the XBox 360 and the Wii. The PS3 will sell, but then again, so did the Dreamcast.

If I can just be convinced that the Wiimote is the bomb, then I'm so ready to pull the trigger.
  • Are all the old Nintendo cartridge games going to be available as one big Wii-disc collection? Or is it all online?

I've been extremely out-of-touch with the whole gaming console craze (my last console was a Super Famicon :P ), so I've got a good deal to catch up on.
    You gotsta be reading some gaming sites yo! Maybe you should start with Wii.com?
  • This site has several comparisons between Gamecube graphics and Wii graphics. Take them with a grain of salt, because they are not direct comparisons.

Other than a serious lack of anti-aliasing, I've got no complaints with the Wii graphics. They aren't the most amazing graphics out there, but they are perfectly acceptable.
  • Here is a nice list of VC games coming up by region.
  • Here isa nice list of VC games coming up by region.
    Boy are we getting shafted! We don't even get Gradius. I thought they were respecting us releasing the Wii here first. I guess I was wrong.
  • Silly gaijin, Nintendo is for Japan!
  • edited November 2006
    Well... I finally pulled the trigger and bought a DS Lite. A couple of observations/questions:

1) Wal-Mart had the original DS for only $10 cheaper. Who in their right mind would purchase that?
    2) I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed. However, I can honestly say that I am very impressed. I love the stylus. I'm also the type of person who can't sit down and game for hours. The DS is perfect for shorter sessions. The graphics aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting.
    3) Why aren't there better RPGs? The only one that has caught my attention is Final Fantasy III. Everything else seems underwhelming at best.
    4) Hopefully "classic" games will start dropping in price, although a ton of people are still buying the system. We'll have to see.
    5) Can someone explain to me why so many companies are still making games for the GBA? I've seen a downward trend, but why hasn't the GBA died yet?
    6) Please, if there is a God, let there be wi-fi eurogames for the DS!
    7) Scrym was right, you don't need the fanciest system in the world. You just need good games. There's a lot of crap for the DS, but there are definitely many good games.
    8) Reviews don't mean shit. They are all over the place, and I wound up enjoying a game that gets consistently trashed. (True Swing Golf)
    9) Do I need to worry about the hinge-cracking problem with a newer system?
    10) Is the battery user replaceable?

I'm happy enough with the DS, that I think I'll wait a while before getting a Wii. I know they're two different creatures, but my time is in very limited supply, so as long as I'm enjoying the DS there is no point in getting another system.
  • Well... I finally pulled the trigger and bought a DS Lite. A couple of observations/questions:

1) Wal-Mart had the original DS for only $10 cheaper. Who in their right mind would purchase that?
    Nobody who knows better. The thing is, the DS phat is no longer in production. Those on the shelves are the last ones. Expect the price on it to stay high through the holiday season. You can be sure someone who needs a DS for their kid will get the DS phat when the Lites sell out. After that possibility no longer exists the DS phat price will drop. Of course, that's just my prediction. The GBA SP is still overpriced to this very day.
    2) I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed. However, I can honestly say that I am very impressed. I love the stylus. I'm also the type of person who can't sit down and game for hours. The DS is perfect for shorter sessions. The graphics aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting.
    3) Why aren't there better RPGs? The only one that has caught my attention is Final Fantasy III. Everything else seems underwhelming at best.
    You just answered your own question. RPGs are games where you sit down for hours. The DS is all about short gaming sessions. That being said, there are RPGs, they just aren't big name. Children of Mana just came out, but it's mostly a dungeon crawl. I suggest you get Golden Sun 1 and 2 for the GBA and play them on your DS. Golden Sun is such a good RPG, even I like it.
    4) Hopefully "classic" games will start dropping in price, although a ton of people are still buying the system. We'll have to see.
    5) Can someone explain to me why so many companies are still making games for the GBA? I've seen a downward trend, but why hasn't the GBA died yet?
    Because while the DS is hot shit with millions of units out there, the GameBoy is the biggest console ever. There are more GBAs out there than PS2s. Also, DSes play GBA games. A GBA game which targets the kiddies will still sell a hojillion copies. Again, after parents buy more DSes for kids next month expect fewer GBA games. Although, I suspect we will see new GBA games for at least another year or more.
    6) Please, if there is a God, let there be wi-fi eurogames for the DS!
    I agree.
    7) Scrym was right, you don't need the fanciest system in the world. You just need good games. There's a lot of crap for the DS, but there are definitely many good games.
    8) Reviews don't mean shit. They are all over the place, and I wound up enjoying a game that gets consistently trashed. (True Swing Golf)
    9) Do I need to worry about the hinge-cracking problem with a newer system?
    Not unless you beat the shit out of your DS. You don't have to baby it like good China, just don't be Gabe. Even if it does break, there's a warranty.
    10) Is the battery user replaceable?
    On the DS Phat it is. There is a screw on the bottom to remove the battery. I don't know about the DS Lite.
    I'm happy enough with the DS, that I think I'll wait a while before getting a Wii. I know they're two different creatures, but my time is in very limited supply, so as long as I'm enjoying the DS there is no point in getting another system.
    Good call.
  • edited November 2006
    I suggest you get Golden Sun 1 and 2 for the GBA
    I just picked up Golden Sun 1 at a consignment shop for dirt cheap. The only downside is that it didn't have a manual. Anyone know if there is an internet site with downloadable manuals?

There is no video game store in my entire county - so no jokes about checking out the consignment store. The only bummer is that DS is not well represented at all here.
  • Anyone know if there is an internet site with downloadable manuals?
    GameFAQs: Serving the gaming community for as long as I've had access to the world wide web.
  • Advances in visuals in gaming has spoiled today's gamers. Gameplay is more important to me.

C'mon peoples, Don't Judge a book by its cover! (I STILL play Iron Tank on the NES. Oh damn, run over them bad guys! Basic and Primitive, but still fun.)