This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Umbrellas

13»

Comments

• By every single standard of the day, that was a good comedy movie. The only standard it doesn't meet is your own standard of longevity.
  • Apreche said:

1) Sure, you are correct. You can categorize and label movies however. But my original thesis is that there are no good recent comedy movies. I'm only talking about the kinds of movies that are 100% comedy.

Ghostbusters wasn't 100% comedy by far. The main driver of the plot was a romcom, and the end was a big fight with a serious not-joke pseudo death scene. Ghostbusters was a comedy and a thriller and a romantic comedy.

Checkmate atheists.

• Apreche said:

I'm only talking about the kinds of movies that are 100% comedy.

Groundhog Day was a serious movie about a man coming to personal enlightenment by living a farcical tragedy over and over again until he gained perspective. It started "funny" but rapidly turned very sad, then existential. Definitely not 100% a comedy movie.

Checkmate atheists.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

I'm only talking about the kinds of movies that are 100% comedy.

Groundhog Day was a serious movie about a man coming to personal enlightenment by living a farcical tragedy over and over again until he gained perspective. It started "funny" but rapidly turned very sad, then existential. Definitely not 100% a comedy movie.

Checkmate atheists.
    If you can make a trailer for a movie that makes it look like it's in a different genre, you can write a description even more easily.

Monty Python and The Holy Grail isn't a comedy, it's a political treatise. A surrealist deconstruction of Arthurian Legend. It satirically juxtaposes the awful 1970's UK against the middle ages. The legendary black beast is communism.
  • Rym said:

Ghostbusters […] The main driver of the plot was a romcom…

I just rewatched this after watching Ghostbusters (2016), and boy does Venkman come off as a creepy asshole when meeting Dana and visiting her apartment. That segment didn't age well.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2016
    Apreche said:

If you can make a trailer for a movie that makes it look like it's in a different genre, you can write a description even more easily.

Monty Python and The Holy Grail isn't a comedy, it's a political treatise. A surrealist deconstruction of Arthurian Legend. It satirically juxtaposes the awful 1970's UK against the middle ages. The legendary black beast is communism.

Except that's BS and you know it. Groundhog Day has more non-comedy than comedy in terms of minutes-on-screen. Holy Grail is literally a series of thematically-connected comedy skits.

Post edited by Rym on
  • okeefe said:

Rym said:

I just rewatched this after watching Ghostbusters (2016), and boy does Venkman come off as a creepy asshole when meeting Dana and visiting her apartment. That segment didn't age well.
    Yup. Why do I keep discovering old movies are super rapey?
  • I think the worst of those was the Revenge of the Nerds movie that has the guy pretending to be the girls boyfriend so he can have sex with her. It's one of those things as a teen in the late 80's early 90's you didn't bat an eye at but looking back you are like WTF was that BS.
  • Teen "get the girl" movies are the WORST for that. 70s, 80s, even 90s, holy shit.
  • okeefe said:

Rym said:

As you go back in time, the sexism and racism in popular media increases exponentially. Whenever this discussion comes up I can't help but think of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
  • You didn't realize it was rapey the first time because, CONGRATION male pribilege
  • Young Frankenstein has a "I'm raping a woman but it turns out okay because I have a big penis and she likes it" moment that seemed to come out of nowhere, but was obviously in there the first time I saw it.
  • okeefe said:

Rym said:

Try watching Meatballs. That's Bill Murray basically doing everything he can to try and have sex with Kate Lynch who doesn't want it.

Comedy is so critical on not only timing, but it's a statement of how the setting is during that specific time period and the social/political commentary as such. Comedy isn't disposable at all, simply more fleeting. That's why comedy is way more subjective as what makes you laugh than any form of drama. I bet in anyone's "Best Of" movie/TV list, you rarely see the same comedies held to the exact same standard.

I tried watching Animal House a few months ago, what's considered to be an absolutely seminal comedy and considered one of the best ever made. Didn't make me laugh all that much. John Belushi and the Dean are fine, but everyone else is so forgettable and that movie wants you to like the loser frat. Everything that was already funny was already indoctrinated and well known in pop culture.

Plus, Animal House's commentary on colleges and universities doesn't apply very well to the modern day. A dean has more important shit to do than obsess over troublemakers. People don't care about Fraternities or Sororities these days. The Deltas would have been kicked out their first or second semester for failing classes. They would have pretty shit life outcomes after wrecking the parade.
  • okeefe said:

Rym said:

Awareness and communication.

• More to do with checking out old comedy movies to see if they hold up. They generally don't! It's much better to stick with only comedies from the last few years.
  • Porky's is the Ur-Example of this.
  • Rym said:

Porky's is the Ur-Example of this.

Porky's is the one that's so bad even teenage Scott raised the eyebrow. And not in the good way.
  • Porky's was a movie that people born in the 60s and 70s told us was a classic. It came out when we were born, and was stale by the time we were old enough to see it.
  • Porky's main advantage was that it had tits in an era where tits were not plentiful and trivial to access.
  • Clearly, comedy peaked with Jon Lovitz's High School High.
  • I'm likely never going to see it, but I still really want to see how Scott reacts to critically acclaimed comedy shows that he just 100% will not understand, like Pizza, Swift and Shift Couriers, or Housos. Will he recognize why it's critically acclaimed despite not catching all of it, will he get the deep cuts like(an example that came up recently - An episode in season four of Pizza opening with a blatant homage to Jeeves and Wooster's opening episode pre-roll)? Or will he just declare it awful and call people stupid for liking it?