This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii final countdown!

2»

Comments

• I to have to wait..
  • The Penn Radio Podcast just released an episode with stories about the PS3. It's funny.

Oh, and Boston rocked.
  • Why can't Christmas come any faster!! Have fun with your Wiis.
  • I'm really liking my Wii. After I got mine, my friends drove me by the Wal-mart and Best Buy lines, since I was the second to get one at midnight at my local store.

They did not look happy.
  • The Wii definitely owns. Twilight Princess is AMAZING.
  • Come on people! More Wii details! Some of us still have 16 days to go!
  • Come on people! More Wii details! Some of us still have 16 days to go!
    Yeah! Give us some firsthand reviews.
  • edited November 2006
    Review of the Wii? Okay I will give it a shot here. (edits in bold)

Let's start with the console itself. It is just about the thickness of 3 DVD cases and is about the overall size of external hard drive. Color = Ipod White. The face of the unit has the disk slot (that glows blue), the power button, eject button, reset button and a small door. When you flip the door open there is the SD card slot and the Wii-mote sync button. With the unit is in the stand, along the top of the unit are two more doors. The fist door has four gamecube ports; the second hides two memory card slots.

Hook up was a breeze. A clear plastic disk goes on the underside of the stand, then the unit sits in the stand. The power brick is about the size of a new chalk board eraser. The sensor bar is about the thickness of a Bic Pen and has a reallllllly long, thin cord. Finally the composite cable (RYW). Plug everything in, set the sensor bar and power the bad boy on. Now something of note: the wii-mote that comes with the console is already synced with the unit (if you want to sync any other just push the sync button on both remote and console).

Setup is standard console setup stuff. Very straight forward. The only thing I am working on is weather to put the sensor bar on the bottom of the tv or the top. I have it on the bottom oh my tv and I ran into some issues while playing Zelda so tonight I'm going to move it to the top of the tv and see how that works. The bar has sticky tape on it so it will stay where ever you put it and it comes with a platice stand if you need it.

Once you get into the menu you are presented with Channels. Since I am not at home right now I can't remember what all the channels were but one of them is for the game and the other is for your Mii. A Mii is nothing more than a cute avitar that you can make. I made one of myself, it kinda meh, but whatever. These are the characters that you see in Wii Spots.

Now Wii Sports is a lot of fun. Tennis and Bowling are my favorites. Boxing is kind of weak but still fun. I havn't played Baseball yet. Golf is the weakest of the bunch. The mechanics of Golf are not very strong. I won't get into the controls here as I'm sure Rym and Scott will talk about it on Tuesday.

I want to talk about the controller now. I wasn't totally sold on the idea of a remote, until now that is. This is is just about perfect. The weight is spot on, not to heavy and not to light. The wii-mote is also perfectly balanced since the batteries are just a little off the center. If you play please wear the strap so you don't end up throwing the damn thing. :) The buttons are all very easy to press and are easily within reach...except for the d-pad. Now that just might be me but I have to stretch to get to the d-pad when holding it. No biggie though.

The nunchuck connects to the port on the bottom of the wii-mote and a 3-4 foot cord goes to the nun chuck. The nun chuck is comfortable and not at all hard to deal with. Again it is weighted and balanced perfectly. The analog stick on the nun chuck is rubber on the top so that your thumb doesn't slip of the thing.

All in all this system is loads of fun. It is small and fits nicely on my book shelf. The only real complaint I have is that I really wanted Nintendo to make it with different colors at launch. Oh well. So far I have only played Zelda, Wii Sports and Monkey Ball. I still have Trauma Center and Red Steel to play. I will report more once I have a chance to play them all.

Initial Impressions = A
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • It's only as thick as 3 DVDs???? What, it's about 6mm thick?
  • It's only as thick as 3 DVDs???? What, it's about 6mm thick?
    I'm sure he means three DVD cases, not actual DVDs
  • It's fucking small, holy shit is it fucking small.
  • i got a wii.....and a sickness as well...:hurl:

damn line....someone was sick in it!
  • Yeah it's really really small. It would be tons smaller if there weren't the 4 Gamecube controller ports and the 2 memory card ports.
  • Yes I meant DVD cases. Not the disk themselves. The one thing though is that the Wii is rather heavy for its size. I'll post some size pics with my 360, PS2 and Transformers tonight.
  • I've heard some comments that the motion sensors on the Wii-mote are a little sensitive. Apparently using the motion sensor to turn the truck in Excite Truck is a little difficult. I believe I read this on the 1Up site.
  • I love you baltmatrix.
  • edited November 2006
    Yes I meant DVD cases. Not the disk themselves. The one thing though is that the Wii is rather heavy for its size. I'll post some size pics with my 360, PS2 and Transformers tonight.
    Put them on weight scales, too XD
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Wii is actually pretty heavy despite being small. I was very surprised at the weight when I was carrying it back to the train.
  • edited December 2006
    How do you get the game slot to glow blue? It flashes when I turn it on, but it doesn't stay on.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Go to your email from the home menu, and add your personal computer email address to your address book. Wait ~1 hour for the email (mine took at least this long) Reply to the email from your computer. In a few minutes, you will have an email waiting for you on your Wii. Don’t read it! As long as it remains new, you have a pretty blue light!
  • Its just under 12 hours until I can get my Wii. WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
  • I like the blue light off, because then I know that when it's on that I got a new message.
  • Only 2 days till I get my Wii!! My friend *should* be able to get me a component cable, then I'll be able to play on my PC monitor :D
  • I will be getting mine in January...
  • So it's Wii day here in the UK and I'm still waiting for mine to arrive >:(. I hope it comes before I have to leave for uni :(
  • I got my Wii today in Germany. There was a line of like 30 people in front of the store, I think they had 50 Wii's. Got A Wii, Wiiplay, Zelda but they didn't have any nunchucks left....
  • edited December 2006
    Hah, all this talk of preorders and queues! On Thursday I rolled up to my nearby department store (BigW ftw!) at about 5 minutes after opening, 8:35. There were two guys ahead of me in line at the electronics counter, and only one of the two actually looking for the Wii. Us Wii devotees asked for our consoles at the same time, and within minutes the staff had retrieved our boxes from the back area. No preorders for either of us, and a grand total wait of about 10 minutes. Not only that, the console was discounted, dropping it by $12, and I have a discount card, which further dropped the price 5%, down to $368. I pity the fools who went for the midnight launch at the nearby EBGames, waiting in line for hours to pay the full $399, while I was sound asleep in my comfy bed. Suckas.

EDIT: Above prices are in Australian Dollars.
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • Hah, all this talk of preorders and queues! On Thursday I rolled up to my nearby department store (BigW ftw!) at about 5 minutes after opening, 8:35. There were two guys ahead of me in line at the electronics counter, and only one of the two actually looking for the Wii. Us Wii devotees asked for our consoles at the same time, and within minutes the staff had retrieved our boxes from the back area. No preorders for either of us, and a grand total wait of about 10 minutes. Not only that, the console was discounted, dropping it by $12, and I have a discount card, which further dropped the price 5%, down to $368. I pity the fools who went for the midnight launch at the nearby EBGames, waiting in line for hours to pay the full $399, while I was sound asleep in my comfy bed. Suckas.
    Did you buy a bundle? If not then I pity you.
  • $399 is the RRP in Australia (in AU Dollars).