This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• I recently read Shenzhen by Guy Delisle. It's a fantastic autobiography on an animator's trip to China. I plan on reading his other books like Pyongyang.
    Read Pyongyang. The awesome. Been meaning to read the others.
  • I read We3 this past week. Brought a manly tear to my eye. I wish my cat were still alive so I could give her a hug.
  • edited June 2012
    FUCK THAT COMIC! It depressed me for a whole evening after I picked it up recently to just glance at it at the bookstore. And don't get me started on how I felt after I read it back in college. That comic...Jeezus.
    Lots of rabbit and rat violence and horrible things happening to animals. And the dog, he just wants to be good and be loved! It's awful!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Oddly, seeing the bunny in the mech suit made me think of you, Gomi. But yeah lot's of disturbing imagery in there, being a former cat and dog owner made it hard to look at, but in the end despite all the shit they went through, the dog was still a dog and the cat was still a cat.

Also, it helped thinking that these are merely drawings of animals getting bruatlized, as opposed to watching something like Milo & Otis where, while it is presented as a heart warming story, I cant even begin to fathom the amount of cats and dogs they went through to shoot that.
  • I remember seeing that trade at Borders during their going out of business sale. I didn't pick it up because I didn't want to read something that I probably knew was going to make me cry.

As for comics I'm rotating between:

Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 1
    Friends With Boys
    Atomic Robo (currently on Vol. 2 Dogs of War)
  • I just read a new Batman comic called Batman: Death by Design. It's incredibly beautiful, with a good story attached. I recommend it.
  • edited June 2012
    Reading Batman Reborn right now. Good stuff. I finally started 52. I'm so behind on superhero anything.

Friends With Boys

I read some online. I heart it! I really need that comic.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Finally got around to reading Daytripper by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon. It was just as amazing as everyone said it was. The art was just gorgeous, the writing was realistic and interesting, and the comic as a whole was just outstanding. Definitely one of the best reads I've had in the past year.
  • I'd be an avid comic book reader if individual issues weren't so insanely expensive. I'm a middle class professional with a house, a wife, two kids, two dogs, a minivan, and a commuter car. I can't afford a $5 comic book every month. Let alone 4 or 5 when there's crossovers. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed "Civil War" and "Invasion" but I enjoyed it as a .cbr file. Who the heck can spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on all those issues in order to see every bit of the story..? Young twenty somethings and childless people, I guess.
  • I'd be an avid comic book reader if individual issues weren't so insanely expensive. I'm a middle class professional with a house, a wife, two kids, two dogs, a minivan, and a commuter car. I can't afford a $5 comic book every month. Let alone 4 or 5 when there's crossovers. :)

I thoroughly enjoyed "Civil War" and "Invasion" but I enjoyed it as a .cbr file. Who the heck can spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on all those issues in order to see every bit of the story..? Young twenty somethings and childless people, I guess.
    Why are you buying issues? No wonder you are paying too much! There are these things called trade paperbacks. You get the whole series in one shot for a fraction of the price without ads!

There is this other thing called dcbservice.com where you can pre-order the comics two months in advance and get an insane discount.

If you really want digital format though, just pirate everything. All the legal digital options are DRM all up ins.
  • I have an MDC subscription but the viewer is crap. I don't want to pirate artwork that I'm enjoying but the pirated cbr files are just a superior product in terms of presentation and usability, forget about DRM.
  • MDC is pretty awful. If you are going to pay for DRM digital comics, might as well do Comixology.
  • One of the bigger comic book shops that I sometimes frequent is going out of business, so they had sales.

I picked up Gotham Central TPBs 3 & 4 for $10/each, Princess Knight vol. 1 for $7, and Locke & Key TPBs 2-3 for $10/each. Can't beat that.

It sucks because I have Gotham Central vol. 1 in hardback. Now they won't coordinate. T_T

#firstworldcomicgeekproblems
  • One of the bigger comic book shops that I sometimes frequent is going out of business, so they had sales.

I picked up Gotham Central TPBs 3 & 4 for $10/each, Princess Knight vol. 1 for $7, and Locke & Key TPBs 2-3 for $10/each. Can't beat that.

It sucks because I have Gotham Central vol. 1 in hardback. Now they won't coordinate. T_T

#firstworldcomicgeekproblems
    Want to know something worse? The Gotham Central trades are missing some of the issues. I'm not sure if the hardcovers have those missing issues or not.
  • edited July 2012
    WTF?! I did not need to know that. Dammit! T_T How the fuck do they release it like that?

Also, I saw a poster for Saga at the comic store and asked about it. I saw the name Brian K. Vaughn and saw how good the art is.

Since it recently came out, I may just buy the issues on Comixology or just wait for trades.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Want to know something worse? The Gotham Central trades are missing some of the issues. I'm not sure if the hardcovers have those missing issues or not.
    I am pretty sure the hardcovers do have all the issues. The trades are missing issues 11, 16-18, 26, 27, and 32.
  • WTF?! I did not need to know that. Dammit! T_T How the fuck do they release it like that?

Also, I saw a poster for Saga at the comic store and asked about it. I saw the name Brian K. Vaughn and saw how good the art is.

Since it recently came out, I may just buy the issues on Comixology or just wait for trades.
    Reading it on Comixology. Really like it.

*LYING!!!!!!*

:)

• Want to know something worse? The Gotham Central trades are missing some of the issues. I'm not sure if the hardcovers have those missing issues or not.
    I am pretty sure the hardcovers do have all the issues. The trades are missing issues 11, 16-18, 26, 27, and 32.
    So my question is, is it worth having to buy the hardbacks just for those missing issues?
  • edited July 2012
    So my question is, is it worth having to buy the hardbacks just for those missing issues?
    I would say yes as I rather enjoyed all of the missing issue, minus maybe 16-18, but I am not sure I am a good person to answer this as I had pretty deep affection for the DC Universe when I read this.

Edit: Woot, ignore us. I looks like they did actually get a proper paperback release out. Just make sure it is labeled as book 1-4 and not volume 1-5.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • So my question is, is it worth having to buy the hardbacks just for those missing issues?
    I would say yes as I rather enjoyed all of the missing issue, minus maybe 16-18, but I am not sure I am a good person to answer this as I had pretty deep affection for the DC Universe when I read this.

Edit: Woot, ignore us. I looks like they did actually get a proper paperback release out. Just make sure it is labeled as book 1-4 and not volume 1-5.
    Are you talking about the old individual trades or the newer "ultimate" trades that each collect two arcs in them?
  • Nurse Nurse is the shit and you should all be reading it.
  • edited July 2012
    Are you talking about the old individual trades or the newer "ultimate" trades that each collect two arcs in them?
    I am pretty sure the individual trades. I did not know about "ultimate" trades until just now.

Edit: Also, what comics are collected into these "ultimate" trades?
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • Yeah that stuff really annoys me. I may just pirate it just to read it and perhaps eventually get the rest in hardback.

Also I just read issue 1 of Saga. Yeah. You all need to read this. I've never really bought comic in issue format and always waited for TPBs, but I will definitely be buying them when each issue comes out.

I love the art and recall see Fiona Staples in Womanthology. I m really digging the universe they have created so far with the races and animals. It's a cool mix of fantasy ans Sci-fi.
  • edited July 2012
    I am pretty sure the individual trades. I did not know about "ultimate" trades until just now.

Edit: Also, what comics are collected into these "ultimate" trades?
    The "ultimate" trades as I called them, are new softcover versions of the larger hardcovers and usually contain two volumes each:

Gotham Central Book One: In the Line of Duty HC (1-10)
    Gotham Central Book Two: Jokers and Madmen HC (11-22)
    Gotham Central Book Three: On the Freak Beat HC (23-31)
    Gotham Central Book Four: Corrigan HC (32-40)

So, to answer my own question, if you have the HC's or the new softcover versions of them, there are NO gaps and you get the entire series.

As long as you have all four of these, or their softcover equivalents, you're good to go.

Post edited by jabrams007 on
  • Ooh. So I am ok then. Woohoo! Thanks for the clarification. Scott sucks.
  • Oh, when you said two arcs it confused me because I thought they had 3 or 4 arcs each. I need to read them again.
  • Oh, when you said two arcs it confused me because I thought they had 3 or 4 arcs each. I need to read them again.
    My bad. When I wrote arcs, I meant volumes.