This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but the 6th Gun is incredible.
    I read the first volume and really liked it, but felt like that one volume was a complete story and that any more then that was unnecessary. This has kept me from wanting to and actually reading more of it.
    I kind of feel the same way about Fables. After the arc with the Adversary ended in volume 11, I thought that the comic should end and haven't read past that. I've heard mixed things about volumes 12+, but so far, I haven't checked them out yet.
    I also felt it should/could have ended after volume 11. The crossover volume was meh, but the other ones have been up to par.

• I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but the 6th Gun is incredible.
    I read the first volume and really liked it, but felt like that one volume was a complete story and that any more then that was unnecessary. This has kept me from wanting to and actually reading more of it.
    I kind of feel the same way about Fables. After the arc with the Adversary ended in volume 11, I thought that the comic should end and haven't read past that. I've heard mixed things about volumes 12+, but so far, I haven't checked them out yet.
    I also felt it should/could have ended after volume 11. The crossover volume was meh, but the other ones have been up to par.

If something is still much better than everything else, there's no reason for it to end.
  • I know I'm a year+ late to the part here, but just finished reading through the entirety of Axe Cop content. That's some funny shit right there, in a "this is really how the mind of a 5-7 year old works" sort of way.
  • I saw this at the local comic shop: Rust: Visitor in the Field. It's released by Archaia and just from a quick glance of the art and reading a description, I'm going to say that I will probably be buying this and saying it's a good read.
  • Rust has also been recommended to me by a fairly trusted individual, so I'd say its only a matter of time before I wind up giving that a shot.
  • Gotham Central is awesome. The Wire + Batman = amazingsuperduperawesomesauce. I'm working through the second "big" trade and just finished the Joker sniper arc. Why oh why did this comic stop/get cancelled?
  • Amulet has the best reaction faces.
  • Finally got around to reading volume 4 (Keys to the Kingdom) of Locke & Key. Much better than volume 3. Even though I have not finished it yet I feel that it will neither confirm nor deny an assumption I have about that universe though, which sucks in a way but does let me keep speculating. I will say though that it has had a few moment of, "Please do not do the obvious (and stupid) thing right there", but in prior volumes they ended up somewhere I did not expect so I am hoping that continues.
  • Amulet has the best reaction faces.
    I just bought volume 2. Can't wait to read it!

• NPR's 6 Graphic Novels That Will Draw You In. Habibi is on that list. I've only read half of it, and from what I've read I have really enjoyed.
  • Scott Snyder's run on Detective Comics (871-881) is fantastic. 871-878 are collected in The Black Mirror and if you like you some Batman you should get a hold of it.
  • edited January 2012
    I want to read a super-hero comic book. I've already read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. What's the best underwear pervert comic book after those two?
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I want to read a super-hero comic book. I've already read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. What's the best underwear pervert comic book after those two?
    If you are looking for something from one of the big companies then I would say Identity Crisis from DC and if you would like something from one of the smaller companies then I would say Project Superpowers from Dynamite. I am not going to say either are the best but they are good in their own way.
  • edited January 2012
    Check dese here.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • edited January 2012
    I want to read a super-hero comic book. I've already read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. What's the best underwear pervert comic book after those two?
    Irredeemable. Hands down, bar fucking none, Irredeemable. It takes the concept of "Explore what makes Underwear Perverts tick" that was introduced in Watchmen, adds a dash of The Boys' "Superheros suck and need to be watched," and wraps it in absolutely brilliant writing and art. The result is sheer fucking brilliance.

Aside: Anyone know where I can go other than torrents to get some comic scans? I need my fix, but it is ridiculously inconvenient and expensive to purchase books over here, as I would need to ship them home later. I'm looking for something like those manga sites with an online reader or a direct download feed.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I want to read a super-hero comic book. I've already read Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. What's the best underwear pervert comic book after those two?
    Kingdom Come. It's about manipulating super heroes and is an even better Superman comic than DKR. Also, art is by Alex Ross, so worst case scenario, you're looking at the most beautiful art you've ever seen.
    Kingdom Come. It's about manipulating super heroes and is an even better Superman comic than DKR. Also, art is by Alex Ross, so worst case scenario, you're looking at the most beautiful art you've ever seen.
    Kingdom Come is incomprehensible and has no meaning unless you already know tons of shit about the DC universe and its history. Marvels is the same, only you have to know about the Marvel universe. Marvels is a tiny bit more accessible because its also from the perspective of an everyman you can relate to.

Kingdom Come is incomprehensible and has no meaning unless you already know tons of shit about the DC universe and its history. Marvels is the same, only you have to know about the Marvel universe. Marvels is a tiny bit more accessible because its also from the perspective of an everyman you can relate to.

I disagree. When I read Kingdom Come, the only knowledge of the DC universe I had was the Teen Titans cartoon and some common knowledge origin stories. The only characters you need to know are Superman and Lex Luthor, who are fairly common knowledge. I have used this as an intro to comics with great success (okay, so my victims didn't read any more comics, but they really liked the stuff I showed them).
  • Just read another four issues of Irredeemable (Vol. 2), and what I said definitely stands. Chaos, here's a link to the first 12 issues as a CBR if you want a taste: Definitive Irredeemable
  • I hear Batman: Year one is good. I have it, but have yet to read it. I'm honestly ok with not really reading anything more in the Batman universe. After the last in the Nolan trilogy is released, I'll probably be content without anymore Batman.
  • edited January 2012
    Aside: Anyone know where I can go other than torrents to get some comic scans? I need my fix, but it is ridiculously inconvenient and expensive to purchase books over here, as I would need to ship them home later. I'm looking for something like those manga sites with an online reader or a direct download feed.
    I just search on isohunt. Got all of Marvel Civil War (because I'm somewhat interested in the concept, even if they horribly undid pretty much everything that happens in it from what I am told) and Gotham Central (because you guys said in this thread it was good). You should be getting good .cbr files of scans there. Just take the torrent with the most seeders and off you go.

Now getting Irredeemable.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I hear Batman: Year one is good. I have it, but have yet to read it. I'm honestly ok with not really reading anything more in the Batman universe. After the last in the Nolan trilogy is released, I'll probably be content without anymore Batman.
    Batman: Year One might be the single greatest Batman story ever written. Better than the Dark Knight Returns, better than the Long Halloween, this is what all other Batman stories aspire to.

The Nolan movies borrow heavily from Year One and just thinking about how far Frank Miller has fallen since this masterpiece makes me sad.

Not only is this the best Batman story ever written, it's also the best Commissioner Gordon story ever written.

If you want to read a good superhero (underwear pervert) comic, you can't go wrong with Batman: Year One.

• Just picked up Invincible Vol 15, Crisis on Infinite Earths and ordered Iredemable Vol 1.

Wowie Zowie!!
  • Batman Year One is good. I am extremely disenchanted with Frank Miller, though.
  • Alright, guys. Humanoids put out a copy of Madwoman of the Sacred Heart recently, in hardcover. I'm building up a Moebius library, and I need that fucking book, but I don't have $100 to spend on an Amazon used copy (the hardcover is OOP). If you have it and are willing to part with it for a break-even price ($30 + shipping to a US or UK address), I'll be eternally grateful for your indulgence of my bizarre obsession.
  • Read all of Irredeemable I could get my hands on. That is quite the stuff.
  • I also got the trade paperback of I Kill Giants, which I'm excited about reading. Has anyone else checked it out?
    A friend gave me this to read. I'm about a quarter the way through the trade and am enjoying it very much.
  • I Kill Giants is worth owning. Seriously. It made me tear up.
  • That's pretty pro quoting me from a year ago. That book certainly wasn't what I was expecting when I first picked it up, but yeah, it's good.