This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii Internet Channel

edited December 2006 in Everything Else
First post from the Wii browser!

Comments

• w00t! How's the experience?
  • (Back on the PC) Surprisingly good. Text is small, yet fairly readable on my 69cm CRT TV. Browsing a large page by holding B and moving the remote around is very intuitive. And as for Flash, I just tried the Wii homepage, and it WORKS! Overall, very impressive, but using the standard Wii on-screen keyboard thing is painful.
  • No fair. We don't get it until tomorrow.
  • Did you try YouTube yet?
  • edited December 2006
    No fair. We don't get it until tomorrow.
    Suffer.

EDIT: Apparently every region except North America has it now. Ouch.
    Did you try YouTube yet?
    Just tried it, works perfectly!
    Post edited by thaneofcawdor on
  • Unsurprisingly, no MP3 support. Just pops up an error message.
  • have you tried flash games?
  • Yes, just now. Controls are difficult, the Wiimote apparently doesn't sustain A button clicks well, so the two random games I tried that were dependant on a sustained button hold worked poorly, but I'm sure that could be fixed with an update.

Shockwave doesn't work at all.
  • I had no idea it was coming so soon. I have time tomorrow morning.. I CAN'T WAIT!!
  • second post from the internet channel
  • Woot Wiinternet! The text is too small and I haven't got the side to side thing worked out yet. I like the predicted text thing.
  • edited December 2006
    The + makes the page bigger or press and hold 2. One of the things that annoys me is that at two minutes the browser automatically refreshs, so don't plan on watching a long video on youtube or make a long post on the forums. I had to save then edit about three times now so that I can do this whole post...
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • edited December 2006
    One thing I would like to see is integration of the nunchuk, I think that would make navigating web sites easier than pressing and holding b. And yes I'm still using Wiinternet right now ^_^
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • Now you can make a second Digg account and only use it from the Wii!!!
  • I used it this morning for two minutes before I left the house. YouTube in fullscreen worked like a charm. Thats more than I can say for the Mac Mini!
  • Yeah I played with it for a few minutes and it seems cool so far.
  • Yet another post from the Wii! As said by the others, it works like a charm!
  • I can't seem to get YouTube working. I get an error message saying my version of Flash isn't up to date *or* I have javascript off. How'd it work for you guys?
  • I can't seem to get YouTube working. I get an error message saying my version of Flash isn't up to date *or* I have javascript off. How'd it work for you guys?
    I went to youtube to watch a video. It just worked.
  • the only way I get youtube to work is through Digg.
  • I clicked a link for a TotD that went directly to a YouTube page, and it played.
  • I'm right there with Brineshrimp and Kiey. YouTube works through Digg (meaning you can see it but can't make it fullscreen) but not through YouTube's own site. Combine that with the fact that I've had it freeze twice on two different sites and now I'm just peeved. Seriously, they've been talking about this browser for how long and it still isn't usable? What's the deal?

I even tried deleting the channel and redownloading it. No dice. Though I can report that apparently deleting the channel doesn't affect your cookies at all, sites still remembered who I was when it came down again. So I guess if you're worried about getting rid of your personal information before you sell your Wii in the future you're kind of up the creek for now.

Blah blah about beta software. As far as I'm concerned if you're releasing and promoting it to the public at large it's not beta anymore. This crap should have been worked out long before it ever hit the wild.
  • Yeah, I played around with the Internet browser for while. The problem with youtube is that some of the newer Youtube clips use Flash 8, and the Wii uses flash 7. I have browsed Youtube ok, but some video's will load and some won't.

Also, if you sell your Wii, all you have to do is format the system memory in the options screen.

• Blah blah about beta software. As far as I'm concerned if you're releasing and promoting it to the public at large it's not beta anymore. This crap should have been worked out long before it ever hit the wild.
    Sorry, it's beta trial software. That's how things go. Big software takes a long time to make, and it takes even longer to make it perfect. At some point while making software it enters a state where it is usable, but not perfect. If you would rather wait and only use a finished product, then you don't have to use the Wii browser now. Just wait until the final release. Beta means beta, you know what you're getting into when you use it.
  • Holy crap the internet channel is pretty sweet so far! As long as Youtube and flash works (kinda.)
  • wiiiiiii this post is from my wii
  • Sorry, it's beta trial software. That's how things go. Big software takes a long time to make, and it takes even longer to make it perfect. At some point while making software it enters a state where it is usable, but not perfect. If you would rather wait and only use a finished product, then you don't have to use the Wii browser now. Just wait until the final release. Beta means beta, you know what you're getting into when you use it.
    In my opinion if something is truly "beta" then it shouldn't be released to the public at large. Bungie is planning a public beta of Halo 3. That doesn't mean just anyone can get it, it's for a very small, invitation only, portion of the overall population. Spanning Sync has a product in the works that syncs Apple's iCal with Google Calendar. It's beta testing right now with an ever expanding pool of users (when they have a new build they invite more people who've signed up for the opportunity to test).

Services like Gmail and Flickr are beta in name only. They're open to the public, inviting new users to use them without telling them what exactly that little beta subscript means. The Wii Browser is the same way. This is a product that's been marketed to the most non-tech savvy people around but that didn't stop them from sending a message to every Wii advertising that this free browser was available. I know that it's a public preview. You know that it's a public preview. Most people, however, would read that and think that it's more a free trial than unfinished product. The point I was trying to make is that if it's not ready to have the wraps taken off then keep working on it. Doing otherwise is not going to convince people that it's worth paying for down the road. For a more eloquent diatribe of the state of beta software in today's market I'd point you in the direction of John Gruber's recent article on the subject. The point is that releasing (and worse, promoting) software that isn't ready for public consumption leads only to weaken the market when you eventually release.
  • What you are saying shows you have a clear lack of understanding of the software development process. The method you seem to be advocating has two major flaws.

The first consequence you neglect is the waiting. When you develop software there is a point at which it works well enough to be very useful, but is still significantly buggy. We have decided that it is often worth it to suffer using this beta software because the new functionality often outweighs the damage caused by the bugs. If you apply your logic to another field, such as medicine, you will see it is clearly flawed. If there were a cure for your disease that existed now, but had some side effects, would you rather suffer for another year or take the medicine now?

The other thing you don't realize is that public beta testing and the suffering of users is what makes having such a bug-free final product possible. Before public betas, developers would release final versions of software loaded with bugs. Some companies still do. It is simply not possible for a small group of testers to test the software in every possible situation. By having a wide open public beta you are able to maximize bug reporting prior to the official release. Not only that, but you can get a lot more significant input from actual users as to ways to make the software better. Free availability of software during the testing phase is a major reason why open source software tends to be more stable and secure than proprietary software tested behind closed doors in small labs.

If you don't like using software that has a few bugs in it, nobody is forcing you to use it. This is the kind of mentality behind Linux distributions like Debian. They refuse to include any software in the stable version of Debian that isn't 100% proven. You know what? Using a computer with Debian stable lacks so much functionality, that you would be driven insane. All of the software is at least 1 if not 3 or 4 versions old. When deciding on which software to use, we all have to make some decisions. Should you use the beta version of the word processor that has the better spell checking feature even though there is a bug in the print preview screen? Should you use the nightly build of Firefox that has the new feature that will cut your browsing time in half even though it will crash a few times a day? Different people answer these questions in different ways, and that is why developers are careful to properly label their software.

You are right, beta is not an excuse. It is a warning. It means, use at your own risk. If you don't think the buggy trial version of Opera Wii is useful, don't use it!
  • It's a beta!

The version you do not want released is the alpha version!!!
  • Its not that bad, if you don't like it don't download it, it says trial right there. Firefox tells you that they have beta's available and you have the choice to download it or not.