This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Dell 3007WFP 30” LCD Monitor.

edited January 2007 in Everything Else
I just had to share with you a pic of my (late) Christmas present to myself.

New rig

I blogged about it in greater detail if you are curious. I've only had it a day, but it continues to blow me away.

Comments

• got-damn that's friggin' huge!

Don't you need like 2 video cards for that?
  • I'm content with my Dell 24" Widescreen, if I had more real estate and more money, then I might consider getting it.
  • got-damn that's friggin' huge!

Nope. One bad-ass card does quite nicely.
  • That is one large and impressive monitor. Personally though, I've never had a need for such a large monitor. 17" at 1280x1024 has always been plenty for anything I've ever wanted to do. What I do need is more monitors, not larger ones. More monitors means fewer virtual desktops.
  • Yeah I have a 19" Dell thats 1280x1024, and I can't imagine going to anything bigger, but I could see myself going with more then one monitor. Especially once I have more desktop space.
  • edited January 2007
    Jesus Christ! That monitor is gorgeous! I need some pics of Half-Life 2 in action right now.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • How far back from it do you need to sit to work on it?
  • Since everyone is listing their resolutions and marveling here, I should join. I'm at an oddball notebook 14.1 widescreen at 1280x768+ my LCD tv/monitor running at 1024x768. It's kinda weird.
  • For a long time, I ran at 1152. While somewhat nonstandard, for my old 17" CRT it was absolutely perfect. 1280 was too small and fine for it, while 1024 leave too little desktop real estate. Once I got a 19" CRT in 2000, I flipped between 1152 and 1280 for a while, never settling on either.

I have a crappy 19" CRT at work, which I sit a little too far away from, so it's running at 1024... When I get my new PC in the summer, I plan to invest in a very good LCD of some kind.
  • How far back from it do you need to sit to work on it?
    I'm probably 18" to two feet away. I want to get one for work now. Not sure I can justify that though.

When I get my new PC in the summer, I plan to invest in a very good LCD of some kind.
    I highly recommend this one. It came with drivers (although I'm not sure that they are necessary so maybe Linux would recognize it without a problem).
  • Why does a display come with drivers??? Isn't all the heavy lifting being done by the graphics card?
  • You don't actually need to install those so-called drivers. Every standard monitor that connects with just one DVI or VGA plug will be supported by your operating system. As long as your video card has the appropriate driver, you can set it to the proper resolution. I've bought monitors that came with CDs that said they contained drivers in the past. It usually just installs some crap useless display utilities. It's just a way for the display manufacturer to get some real estate on the desktops of people who don't know better than to not put every CD-ROM they get their hands on into their drives.

There are a few rare instances when you actually will need a driver for your monitor. Most of those cases are when you are using an unorthodox display, such as a video wall. There are probably a few other cases of just weird monitors, but you probably don't want to buy those.
  • I love that monitor.... Do you have a link to the wallpaper on it?
  • edited November 2008
    For videogames, if he want to set it up to highest resolution, it might help. Desktops, however, can't utilize SLI/CrFi.

Question: Can you describe what about ultrasharps makes them worth the extra money (and, in my case, worth the extra money, twice over)?
    Edit: I see you bought it refurbished, might have to look into that.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I never knew I could be so aroused by something so cold and calculating.
  • edited November 2008
    Every standard monitor that connects with just one DVI or VGA plug will be supported by your operating system.
    I believe the 30" needs two DVI plugs, for dual-link. However, it should still be supported by most graphics cards.
    The reason it comes with drivers, is, I believe, the extra ports on it (9-in-2 media card reader, 4xUSB2.0, and "Kensington security port" according to Dell's site).
    For videogames, if he want to set it up to highest resolution, it might help. Desktops, however, can't utilize SLI/CrFi.
    Indeed. For a gamer, picking your resolution has a significant impact on how much you're going to be spending on your video cards now and in the near future. I have 1920x1200 resolution, which, at 30% more pixels than 1650x1080, needs 30%+ more graphics power.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2008
    FYI: Kensington ports are just used to secure your laptop to something. Possibly a good idea if you live in a dorm (there was something about it on Tekzilla).
  • That's seriously crazy. I just upgraded to a 22" LCD from the 17" CRT I've had for like 10 years, and this thing was difficult to get used to. It's almost hard to see the whole thing at once. I can't imagine 30".
    edited November 2008
    I need some pics of Half-Life 2Left 4 Dead in action right now.
    Though I doubt the Graphics card is up to that at that resolution.

Thaed, that's a really awesome looking screen.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Though I doubt the Graphics card is up to that at that resolution.
    I dunno, this is Thaed's main rig we're talking about.
  • Question: Can you describe what about ultrasharps makes them worth the extra money (and, in my case, worth the extra money, twice over)?
    The advantages of the ultrasharp are numerous.

The screen itself on the ultrasharp is just better. Better color, brightness, contrast, etc. We had 24" ultrasharp and non-ultrasharp side by side, both on DVI, at work. The difference was obvious.

However, that is only the beginning of the differences. The non-ultrasharps have a different stand. You can't rotate the screen to make it vertical. You can't adjust the height. It really just sucks balls. All Dell monitors use the same stand mechanism, though. So it's not hard to get a replacement stand for a non-ultrasharp.

The ultrasharp monitors are awesome USB hubs, and also have memory card readers. It depends which size you get, though. The 20" is just a USB hub, but the 24" can read SD cards and others. The non-ultrasharp is not a USB hub at all.

Lastly, the Ultrasharp monitors have a whole bunch of inputs. The 20" just has DVI and VGA. However, the 24" has DVI, VGA, Display Port, Component, RCA, HDMI, and more. So it's also a wicked awesome HDTV. Oh, it also has picture in picture. And because it's a USB hub, it's easy to connect it to a USB KVM, and you get the idea.

A non-ultrasharp monitor will be just fine for someone who needs a monitor. If someone is a real computer user, the Ultrasharp monitors are the best out there right now. None of the other companies can seem to compete.
  • edited November 2008
    I appreciate the feedback. I'll keep the Dell in mind (especially if I can get it second hand) but the next system I'm planning, while it'll be my main machine, I doubt it will be anything special, might go with a Samsung or ii-yama. Give me a few minutes and I'll look up the difference in prices in the UK compared to US.

Dell 2009WFP Ultra Sharp 20" £~180 UK - ???? US
    Samsung SM2032BW 20" £~125 UK - $240 US
    [Can't find Dell on newegg?]

Where do you get monitors second hand? I used to work at a place that kept a few bits but not too much choice.
  • Wow, I was surprised to see this old thread bumped! I've had this thing for almost a year now. Adding a KVM that can handle the resolution has allowed me to clear all the other monitors off my desk and just use this. The wall paper is from Flickr. I can dig out the link later if someone wants it. Dell has a refurbished section on its website. I highly recommend it. As I recall, there's a newer version of the 30" now. Also the 30" Gateway has received good reviews.

It only has 1 DVI plug by the way. I am only using one graphics card, but as I recall, it was the most powerful that could be had at the time. It works quite well. You don't need multiple cards unless you're into maxing out your gaming experience. You just need 1 high end card.
  • edited November 2008
    It only has 1 DVI plug by the way.
    Yeah; I checked up on it. I hadn't actually known before how dual-link DVI worked, turns out it's just an extra set of pins (and wires) in the cable.
    The result is that two sets of DVI signals are sent along the same cable (and composed into one image on the screen). Still, not all graphics cards will support this.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If you want to buy Dell, go to dell.com. That's really the only safe way to buy them. If you want a used one, you'll have to go eBay. I don't trust used monitors, though. They probably have dead pixels or scratches or the backlights are dimming.

I've seen dual-link DVI, but not in the way you describe. Usually when you see one of those crazy big monitors, I see them using two actual DVI cables because the video card can't handle such big resolution in one framebuffer. Dual-link DVI I've seen used on small desktops that have low-profile video cards. They want to plug in two monitors, but there isn't enough room for two DVI connectors. You put one dual-link DVI connector, and then use a cable that splits it into two normal DVI.
  • It looks like I might be getting the 22-inch Widescreen Ultrasharp (2208WFP) soon. ^_^
  • Funny this topic came up, I ordered a 24 inch Ultrasharp (2408WFP) the other day with the standard sound bar. I'm also planning on using it with my Xbox 360 and Wii, but the only thing that concerns me is the sound input. The 360 isn't a problem since it uses HDMI input and should just play sound through the sound bar; but the Wii uses composite, and there appears to be no audio input for that on the monitor itself. Is there any solution to this that does not involve me buying a relatively expensive surround sound system, because as much as I do love music and sound, I don't want to spend over $200.00 on it.
  • I think this is the only time I've actually drooled over something.
  • edited November 2008
    Here's the link to the wallpaper

Info on Pont du Gard
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • ...you have a sarcophagus.