This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070110 - Initial D

edited January 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Initial D. In the news, there are lots of new anime licenses, and Viz is going to put out the Death Note anime right quick.

Scott’s Thing - Bugs and Thugs
Rym’s Thing - How Ice Rinks Work

Comments

• I love the "special" intro you did.
  • Though my experience with Initial D isn't nearly as prolific as yours, you can feel secure knowing that there's at least one other podcaster out there that likes it... if only as a guilty pleasure.
  • if only as a guilty pleasure.
    One can't really ask for more than that with a show like this. ^_~
  • if only as a guilty pleasure.
    One can't really ask for more than that with a show like this. ^_~
    Initial D would indeed be the greatest guilty pleasure of all time. If only I actually felt guilty about liking it instead of proud.
  • Has anyone here ever tried the Initial D card game? I got some free decks at a convention once.
  • It's not the greatest game, but it's not as bad as the Penny Arcade game.
  • Has anyone here ever tried the Initial D card game? I got some free decks at a convention once.
    I have a bunch of free cards for that game as well. It's a generic CCG. Not really worth my time to play, but a few of the cards were funny.
  • I've actually had the "Knights of Fire" mp3 on my playlist for a while now, but I only recently discovered that it actually was from Initial D instead of some Gundam show like Napster claimed it was. Between that and this episode, I think I'm willing to give it a 5 episode trial run some time.
  • My cousin used to have a Trueno back in 1990 in Peru.
    Trueno = Thunder
    So in spanish it was a cool name
    Trueno = Thunder
    Unlike the Chevy Nova, which in Spanish (No va) = No go.
  • I just watched the first 5 episodes, and I'm surprised about how much I did enjoy them.
  • I just watched the first 5 episodes, and I'm surprised about how much I did enjoy them
    The show really sneaks up on you, and before you know it, you're on the edge of your seat for every race.
  • RX-7's are indeed awesome cars. The 2nd generation models from the late 80's are actually pretty cheap, they range from $1,500 to $8,000 for a running car (high end only if it has mods)
    Trueno = Thunder
    Unlike the Chevy Nova, which in Spanish (No va) = No go.
    Well basically Nova is like Novo that would be "nuevo" that is new.
    Now with the funny. No va would be in some countries be like "No way" but you would have to extent the "va" and make a whatever-like-face. But to say No va in a way of not going you will have to add an "ir" at the end like this:
    No va ir= It is no gonna go.
  • You do know the name of the voice actor for Spike Spiegel and... (should I ruin it?) Takahashi, or K.T., is Steve Blum right? Cause in the show you said "David Lucas", which is not his real name. Just thought I'd throw that in.
  • You do know the name of the voice actor for Spike Spiegel and... (should I ruin it?) Takahashi, or K.T., is Steve Blum right? Cause in the show you said "David Lucas", which is not his real name. Just thought I'd throw that in.
    We know that's not his real name, but that's the name he goes by in the credits most often. Also, I didn't realize he voices Keisuke. That's what I get for not looking at the credits and hardly watching the dub. I just know he voices a certain other character who appears less often.
  • I just listened to this episode, I loved Initial D. And I totally agree about the music. Word of advice, be careful where you play the soundtrack cause you will have the inexplicable urge to plant the accelerator in the carpet. Like I seriously wanna go out right now and drive entirely too fast around corners, my right hand is twitching trying to shift gears.

"Fuck you Tokyopop"
  • "Fuck you Tokyopop"
  • Does anyone have any questions about the real world physics of Initial D. I'm making up a panel for C-Con and I think I may know too much about cars to really figure out what questions average people would have.
  • Does anyone have any questions about the real world physics of Initial D. I'm making up a panel for C-Con and I think I may know too much about cars to really figure out what questions average people would have.
    In Initial D the primary technique of the show is drifting to maintain speed in the corners. Meanwhile in actual motorsports, like F1, nobody drifts. Is there any situation in which drifting is actually faster, or is it just for show?
  • In Initial D the primary technique of the show is drifting to maintain speed in the corners. Meanwhile in actual motorsports, like F1, nobody drifts. Is there any situation in which drifting is actually faster, or is it just for show?
    This is one of the few questions I've already addressed. But yeah, I need stuff along these lines.
  • Given the stress that would be put on the car during such a maneuver, would Takumi's "Gutter Drop" cornering technique be
    (a.) possible without seriously damaging the car
    (b.) a viable technique to use in a race setting due to the amount of speed that would be lost due to the presumed friction imposed by the maneuver?

Also, is his "gutter hover" maneuver (wherein he can take a tighter drift around a cover by shifting the weight of the car to the back and hovering the front right or left wheel over the gutter) even possible?

Go ahead George, break their widdle hearts.
  • What is the effect of Super Eurobeat music on automotive performance?
  • What is the effect of Super Eurobeat music on automotive performance?
    I actually tested this on my mom without her knowing. Note that she has never seen Initial D nor doe she typically listen to high energy music.
    Automotive performance? None.
    Driver performance: Driver tends to go at least 10-20MPH faster than control measurements in the city and 20-30 MPH faster than control on the highway when eurobeat music is present. Also, driving style becomes notably more aggressive.
  • I didn't ask for the effect of Super Eurobeat on your mom. I am already intimately familiar with that combination.
  • Instant speeding ticket:
  • edited July 2010
    Instant speeding ticket:
    I've had this happen to me, though my sample size of one is hardly statistically significant.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Also, is his "gutter hover" maneuver (wherein he can take a tighter drift around a cover by shifting the weight of the car to the back and hovering the front right or left wheel over the gutter) even possible?
    That's an amusing one actually.
  • I started seriously watching this show for the first time last night. I am hooked.
  • Also, is his "gutter hover" maneuver (wherein he can take a tighter drift around a cover by shifting the weight of the car to the back and hovering the front right or left wheel over the gutter) even possible?
    That's an amusing one actually.
    I know, and considering the front of the car is where all the weight is, it seems pretty damn near impossible to me.
    I started seriously watching this show for the first time last night. I am hooked.
    Welcome to the fold. It only gets better in terms of quality of animation/character design as you go on, with a considerable increase after the movie/season 3.