This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Vegetarians

14567810»

Comments

• AmpAmp
    edited December 2013
    Alles doof ignore
    Post edited by Amp on
  • Amp said:

So here is a question. Veganism is removing anything that is made out of an animal am I right in thinking? So why aren't all vegiterians, who for moral reasons don't eat meat vegn?

Good question. Probably because 1. it is less difficult to keep vegetarian. Veganism is like vegetarianism advanced mode. 2. I think that it's probably because milk and eggs don't technically kill the animals they come from.
    However! It is naive to pretend that factory farming practices don't extend to the dairy industry, and they are just as awful. Battery egg farming is creepy as all get out.
    Also, really, even if we removed all the problematic industrial practices, meat eating and dairy production are fairly closely linked. The old time farmer does not need a bunch of steers and rams running around in their herds, so hence you end up with a good deal of beef and lamb due to the culling of the male animals.
    So, in short, it's probably best to avoid the problem all together by being vegan, but any effort to eat less meat helps cut down the demand for it.
  • edited December 2013
    gomidog said:

So, in short, it's probably best to avoid the problem all together by being vegan, but any effort to eat less meat helps cut down the demand for it.

This method could only ever work where the entire population of a region becomes vegan (unlikely).

If the majority of a population buys high quality meat and meat products that come from humane farming practices, farmers who use factory methods start loosing market share and obviously money.

This is shown to some extent in western European countries, especially in the EU. There is such a large supply of free range piggery and poultry products compared to Australia and my cousins in the UK actually prefer paying more for these products. When I was in the UK, the amount of battery eggs was far fewer than the various branded free range eggs in the supermarkets that I shopped at and was competitive in price too.

The example I have in Australia is "Q Lamb" which is an industry standard to have a lamb raised with least level of stress from birth to and inclusive of slaughter.

The US has the most massive of factory, battery and feedlot operations back when I learned about animal husbandry (however this knowledge is 8 years old as I didn't go into the large animal side of the profession, I'm not sure how much has changed as none of my US friends are in the large animal industry either).
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Amp said:

Also I will go on record and say that piscaterianism is bullshit and chips.

Excuse me if I avoid your local chippy then.
  • Churba said:

Amp said:

Also I will go on record and say that piscaterianism is bullshit and chips.

Excuse me if I avoid your local chippy then.
    I couldn't stop grinning like an idiot for 5 minutes after reading this post.
  • Anyone on the forums a vegan/vegetarian, but their spouse/partner is not? I am looking for recipes that can be cooked sans meat and have meat added to them after cooking, beyond the obvious (salads and pasta dishes are the obvious).
  • I don't believe anybody should stick to any one diet. You adapt your diet based on what nutrition your body needs. Any imbalance, and you'll be malnurished or 'overnurished'.

I've tried veganism myself and there's nothing wrong with it. Just don't expect to eat out most places.
  • Anyone on the forums a vegan/vegetarian, but their spouse/partner is not? I am looking for recipes that can be cooked sans meat and have meat added to them after cooking, beyond the obvious (salads and pasta dishes are the obvious).

It is kind of hard my Mum is a vegetarian while everyone else in the family is not.

When we all lived together Mum would make vegetarian dinners for 5 days a week and Dad would make 2 dinners (and all the lunches) a week.

Overall we would end up having about 2-3 non-vegetarian dinners a week and separate meals would be made for Mum.

I can only remember a few pasta and salad dishes (as you mentioned) where there was some fried meats that were added as a topping to be cases where meat could just be added.

To be honest you'll have to ask Mr. Macintyre to have more vegetarian meals.

Actually, Nuri and I have started doing more of this because of my pork and poultry problems. Cook a vegetarian base and add a protein afterwards.

The three main dinners we did for MAGfest were all vegetarian bases. Two were Indian dishes, though - chana masala and a basic veggie curry. But yeah, this is a thing we're doing more and more.

• Another strategy is to make the meal all vegetarian, then have one meaty side dish. The vegetarians just don't eat that side dish. The meat people can get meat entrees when they eat alone or elsewhere.

There's also the basic strategy of making the same thing both ways. Veggie burger for one, meat burger for the other. Fill some tacos with chicken, fill some others with tofu.
  • I am vegan and my wife is not so we have learned ways around it. One thing to do is cook the vegan/vegetarian portion first then the meat portion, like when making a Brooklyn Pad Thai we just split the ingredients into two parts then cook the vegan half first. For enchiladas she got creative and started making an enchilada casserole, of sorts, with one being vegan and one not.

If you have any specific dishes I can probably advise some, although it is hard to think of any great suggestions at the moment. After being vegan for about a decade things that would normally stick out to meat eaters seem commonplace for me.