This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Vegetarians

Comments

• I can compare Japanese people to American people, and let me tell you, the Japanese people I knew would try a lot more variety of foods than the kids in American high school. Granted, we were in Tokyo, so there was Indian food and American food and stuff, but Japanese people seem (in general) to be more receptive to trying different flavors.
  • edited February 2010
    I can compare Japanese people to American people, and let me tell you, the Japanese people I knew would try a lot more variety of foods than the kids in American high school. Granted, we were in Tokyo, so there was Indian food and American food and stuff, but Japanese people seem (in general) to be more receptive to trying different flavors.
    Yeah, compare Tokyo kids to NYC kids, not LeRoy kids.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I can compare Japanese people to American people, and let me tell you, the Japanese people I knew would try a lot more variety of foods than the kids in American high school. Granted, we were in Tokyo, so there was Indian food and American food and stuff, but Japanese people seem (in general) to be more receptive to trying different flavors.
    Well, every single Japanese exchange student or teacher I've met are always into trying new food stuffs, but most of the time its either "Too spicy" or "Too salty", this from people that think algae "Alka Seltzer" tasting bubblegum is yummy. At least they give everything a shot.
  • edited February 2010
    I can compare Japanese people to American people, and let me tell you, the Japanese people I knew would try a lot more variety of foods than the kids in American high school. Granted, we were in Tokyo, so there was Indian food and American food and stuff, but Japanese people seem (in general) to be more receptive to trying different flavors.
    Well, every single Japanese exchange student or teacher I've met are always into trying new food stuffs, but most of the time its either "Too spicy" or "Too salty", this from people that think algae "Alka Seltzer" tasting bubblegum is yummy. At least they give everything a shot.
    Those are also people that actively sought to travel to a new place and be immersed in their culture and foods. I bet most foreign exchange students and teachers from the U.S. that go to Asia are excited to try the Asian cuisine.
    Those are also people that actively sought to travel to a new place and be immersed in their culture and foods. I bet most foreign exchange students and teachers to Asia are excited to try the Asian cuisine.
    Most exchange students from the US I've met are scared of most seafood and other stuffs here, simple things like bean liquor soup or gallo pinto (simple rice and bean mixture).
  • edited February 2010
    That is weird. A lot of my acquaintances and friends have studied abroad in Japan specifically (including Emily and my husband among several others) and they all love Asian cuisine.
    It just illustrates why personal observations aren't hard data and prove little.
  • That is weird. A lot of my acquaintances and friends have studied abroad in Japan specifically (including Emily and my husband among several others) and they all love Asian cuisine.
    It just illustrates why personal observations aren't hard data and prove little.
    I'd dare make the point that the reasons for the exchange are different, people study here for the climate and the beaches, not the food or culture, people go to Japan more for the culture and food.
  • That is weird. A lot of my acquaintances and friends have studied abroad in Japan specifically (including Emily and my husband among several others) and they all love Asian cuisine.
    I'd dare make the point that the reasons for the exchange are different, people study here for the climate and the beaches, not the food or culture, people go to Japan more for the culture and food.
    That makes complete sense.
  • Yeah, compare Tokyo kids to NYC kids, not LeRoy kids.
    This. People living in dense urban centers are, generally, exposed to a greater diversity of restaurant options, and will in turn tend to encounter and interact with people who've had a greater diversity of food experiences. That predisposes cosmopolitan eaters to trying more foods.

When you live in a very small rural town, your options are few and usually very "safe." It's more a product of the free market, I'd say. When you're one of the only restaurants in a very small market, you're probably going to play it safe and try to appeal to a broader audience, to ensure survivability. Less people, less variety. That's just sort of how it works.
  • edited February 2010
    Having grown up in the midwest, I'd say that the majority of people I knew out there considering the following food items to be exotic and gross:

Squid
    Octopus
    Sushi
    Espresso
    Most fish (except shredded tuna, excepting Catholics, who'd eat fish fry on Fridays)
    Game meat (except venison, but even then only the hunters and rural folks ate it)
    Goat
    Tofu
    Anything "Asian" except General Tso's, Chicken Teriyaki and "Mongolian Barbecue" (once a chain opened up)
    The best part of growing up in Chicago was that, while midwestern, none of these things were even remotely exotic. I remember eating shawarma one time with my family and being like "Oh my god, why haven't I had this before?" My parents then replied that I had, but I was too young last time to remember having it. We also enjoyed sushi, a lot.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2010
    gallo pinto (simple rice and bean mixture).
    Gallo pinto is weird to some people? (O_o) It's simply beans and rice, yo!
    You just seem to be making more of these types of comments lately.
    Or maybe you are more sensitive to it lately? If you think I am down on the zeitgeist of Rural America now, you should have heard me when I lived in the middle of it. Plus, to be fair, I prefaced the comment with "many." All I can say about this and many other of my generalizations of LeRoy is what I experienced. Same with Rym and Sterling Heights.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • gallo pinto (simple rice and bean mixture).
    Beans and rice (with cilantro, onions, and pepers) is a common side dish at most Mexican restaurants in the States. Any Mid-Westerner that has even gone to Chillies of Taco Bell has had it.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2010
    Any Mid-Westerner that has even gone to Chillies of Taco Bell has had it.
    And they usually, in my experience, leave it untouched. It's in the same position that diner cole slaw is to most people: they expect it to come, but aren't quite sure what to do with it, and never consider eating it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Any Mid-Westerner that has even gone to Chillies of Taco Bell has had it.
    And they usually, in my experience, leave it untouched. It's in the same position that diner cole slaw is to most people: they expect it to come, but aren't quite sure what to do with it, and never consider eating it.
    Seriously? I've never seen anyone not eat gallo pinto. Maybe it's just me.
  • edited February 2010
    You just seem to be making more of these types of comments lately.
    Or maybe you are more sensitive to it lately? If you think I am down on the zeitgeist of Rural America now, you should have heard me when I lived in the middle of it. Plus, to be fair, I prefaced the comment with "many." All I can say about this and many other of my generalizations of LeRoy is what I experienced. Same with Rym and Sterling Heights. You have always made you preference for urban living clear, but you just didn't used to be so loudly down (and really quite snobbish) on the topic in general.
    Also, you must admit that comparing LeRoy and other rural American communities to Tokyo and then making sweeping generalizations about Americans is just plain silly, as is taking Middle Schoolers' opinion on food over a decade ago and using it as the standard for American tastes.
  • Most of those items are exotic to Midwest. It isn't locally available, thus it is exotic. Starbucks and coffee shops made Espresso a daily part of the American diet and American cuisine has drastically changed since the early-to-mid 90's.
    Will say that those things Rym mentioned are also exotic to the South. (From Virginia to perhaps, Alabama) I don't think it's true for Louisana or Florida, but for the other states? Yes.
  • I would wager that Americans are, generally however, pickier eaters. The real test would be to take rural Americans and pit them against the rural populations of other countries.

I would also wager, however, that Germans and the Albionese would be equally if not more picky, though I base this solely on Fark stories about tourists and old Hitchcock movies.

I'll furthermore bet that people along the Mediterranean would be generally less picky. I base by outright guess on the hospitality culture that exists in many of these places.

We have science, people. We can test this!
  • Will say that those things Rym mentioned are also exotic to the South.
    Yes, but so is literacy. Let's ignore the south for now.
  • Yes, but so is literacy. Let's ignore the south for now.
    -chortle-
  • edited February 2010
    Will say that those things Rym mentioned are also exotic to the South.
    WTF, Pete?

:P
  • I'll furthermore bet that people along the Mediterranean would be generally less picky. I base by outright guess on the hospitality culture that exists in many of these places.
    There are things served in Spain that I don't think I could convince a single one of my American friends to eat. We eat these things called "percebes" (nicknamed, by the American part of the family, "ugly fingers") that are barnacles. They get pulled from rocks, sauteed, and you suck the meat out of the back end where they were attached to something.

Bull testicles are also pretty popular (and also one of the few Spanish foods I claim an aversion to), as well as tripe, black pudding, cured meats, sauteed baby eels, and other delicacies. Also, you're right about hospitality culture, and it's a fantastic way to experience new things. My first taste of octopus was when a granduncle went "This place [at the Cathedral de Santiago de Compostella] has the best octopus anywhere," and bought us a plate of it, which turned out to be a tentacle sliced into disks which were cooked in a potent house wine with olive oil. I couldn't say no, and I am better off for it. Same goes for the first time I tried morcilla. Damns.
  • When you say "Americans" remember that this includes a wide variety of people from various backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, and regional cuisine preferences.
  • Will say that those things Rym mentioned are also exotic to the South.
    Ahem. Hemhemhem.

North Carolina has the highest military population of any state in the US. There is also the RTP, which is a MAJOR scientific center of the country, Mister Hoity-Toity Pants. There are many well-traveled people living there, and most of the people I encountered (outside of school cafeterias, anyway) were, if not avid fans, then at least willing to eat things like sushi and Indian food. I do not have the same experience that Rym has regarding people being unwilling to eat things. People in the south love cole slaw and beans and rice. Being on the coast is good for variety.
  • Ah, Witchety grubs.
  • edited February 2010
    When you say "Americans" remember that this includes a wide variety of people from various backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, and regional cuisine preferences.
    Are you referring to that in the "friends" context? If so, I suppose you might be correct. I just grew up being taught that, in most cases, adventurous eating was its own reward, so you should try whatever comes before you. That's how I learned to love raw oysters.

I generally have a hard time with people who won't try new foods.
    Ah, Witchety grubs.
    I just looked those up. What do they taste like?
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • When you say "Americans" remember that this includes a wide variety of people from various backgrounds, cultures, ethnicities, and regional cuisine preferences.
    Not to mention Canadians, Mexicans, Salvadoreans, Costaricans, Brazilians, Argentinians, etc.
  • Not to mention Canadians, Mexicans, Salvadoreans, Costaricans, Brazilians, Argentinians, etc.
    You mean "Norther Americans" and "Souther Americans." XD
  • edited February 2010
    Not to mention Canadians, Mexicans, Salvadoreans, Costaricans, Brazilians, Argentinians, etc.
    You mean "Norther Americans" and "Souther Americans." XD
    You missed Central Americans as well then.
    EDIT: Oh, I see what you did there.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Listen, Kate? Did you ever hear how bitter I was about "hicks" in High School? I've actually gotten less snobbish, believe it or not. Probably the reason you are sensitized to it now is that I never used to complain about it where you could hear me before. Did I say I look down on ALL people outside cities? No. I never have. Perhaps it is that I went to a farm-town high school with a large number of semi-racist dickheads, and that scarred me. But hey, some of my classmates were very cool and smart! Some became scientists and artists and all sorts of cool careers! Unfortunately, they seemed in the minority, and, like me, could not wait to get the hell out.

The only real data I have to back up my claims dealing with the assertion that rural and suburban Americans are more closed-minded and ignorant are the current political polls. Other than that it is all speculation and anecdotal evidence. I'll tell you what, I'll stop being snobbish about rural vs. urban when the majorities in the rural areas stop being bloody stupid about most everything political.

I think what the crux of the matter is, is that since you choose to live in the areas Rym and I bemoan (because we grew up in similar places) that we somehow are snobby against you, personally. We are perfectly aware that there are many cool people live all over. My parents chose to live in LeRoy, I like visiting the country, and there are very many quaint small towns which are quite lovely.

• I just looked those up. What do they taste like?
    Like a chitinous horror just ejaculated pure evil into your mouth.