This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Commercials

edited February 2007 in Everything Else
As the Superbowl approaches, I've been thinking about commercials. Carole thinks those Geico-caveman commercials are hilarious. They're ok, I guess, but they might be on the verge of getting stale. I liked those Fruit-of-the-Loom music video commercials, but I think an obscure Hardee's commercial is near the top of the list. It had a manager interviewing a punk kid for a job. During the interview, the manager was talking about his management philosophy, and Tommy James' "It's All in the Game" was playing in the background. The music volume would change as they walked from room to room. It was very cool. I think they were playing it in '88 or '89. Little Caesar's had good commercials. Do they even exist anymore?

Best Commercial EVER: Ridley Scott's Mac commercial. I remember when they played that during the '84 Superbowl. I was in my first year of college. That commercial was better than a lot of movies.

What are your favorite and/or most hated commercials?

Comments

• Somehow I predict you're going to get a lot of "I hate *all* commercials" and/or "I don't watch TV anymore (I just pirate it)".

In the spirit of over-generalizing the response to your question, I'll volunteer all Japanese commercials, or really any East Asian commercials. It's not because I believe their culture is innately superior to ours (don't get me started on that kind of raging fanboyism), just that they're different, and, as a result, interesting. I could watch Japanese commercials for hours.

Least favorite commercials? How about when a station decides to use its precious commercial time to advertise it's own shit, particularly when they show the same preview for the same show every single ad break, possibly several times. This is exacerbated when you're seeing spoiler previews, such as those for Battlestar Galactica when you haven't watched any of Season 3 yet (on account of there not being a fricking DVD). Actually, come to think of it, only Sci-Fi pisses me off in this way. Everyone else just advertises cars and car dealers. ENDLESSLY.
  • Somehow I predict you're going to get a lot of "I hate *all* commercials" and/or "I don't watch TV anymore (I just pirate it)".
    Yeah, I know. Everyone is too *hip* to watch TV these days. But there was a time, at some point in their life, that they watched regular commercial TV - and saw regular pedestrian commercials like the rest of us.
  • When I see a network running spots for its own shows during a top show I think one thing, "I guess they couldn't sell the advertising space..."
  • But there was a time, at some point in their life, that they watched regular commercial TV - and saw regular pedestrian commercials like the rest of us.
    You know, I always hated it. Even as a child, I pointedly changed the channel, hit mute, or read a book during the commercials. We got HBO via a special transmitter long before cable was available in Detroit just to have commercial-free programming. We got cable TV as soon as it was available. (Back then, many cable networks had very few advertisements).

My family took shifts recording the shows we liked sans commercials so that the rest of us could watch them in peace at the time of our choosing. (This had the added bonus of having tapes filled with every show we ever liked one after another with no interruptions).

Pretty-much the day I got actual Internet access, I almost entirely stopped watching television. I spent long nights in the family room with dozens of web browser windows and IRC channels open, as opposed to the living room where the main TV was situated. While I had a cable box in my room, I mostly would turn it on for background entertainment while I was engaged in other pursuits.

It's not about TV being "un-hip." It's about TV never having been what I wanted it to be. Before the Internet, I just mitigated its failings as best I could. Once I had access to the net, TV was immediately and permanently obsolete to me.
  • edited February 2007
    Friday night one network (CBS I think) is running a special on the world's best commercials and the best Super Bowl commercials.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym: I have some complaints about TV too and my wife watches way more than me. She's one of those people that like to have it on for "background noise". I've never been able to do that. If a show is playing, it commands my attention, however bad it may be. Then I get a little interested and I have to watch all the way through. If I have it on for "background noise", I usually turn it to one of those non-commercial music stations.

But do you mean to say that you've never once in your life seen a commercial that you liked? Not even the Ridley Scott masterpiece? You've never sat transfixed before a TV demonstration the Ron Popeil pocket fisherman? You didn't watch the ginsu knifes cutting through the soda can? You never once thought of buying an LP from K-Tel? You never said "Where's the beef?" or "I can't believe I ate the WHOLE thing."?

Are you sure you aren't Canadian?
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like the Ridley Scott Mac commercial. I think it's kind of lame and ugly. It definitely doesn't make me want to buy anything, let alone a Mac.
  • I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like the Ridley Scott Mac commercial. I think it's kind of lame and ugly. It definitely doesn't make me want to buy anything, let alone a Mac.
    Well, I guess it's a matter of personal taste and preference. A large part of the appeal for me was the Orwellian imagery you find to be ugly. It was 1984 and I had just read 1984 about six months before. It was a big deal. People were not rioting or anything, but there was a lot of "1984" anxiety at the time. I remember there was even a crazy group that took the number "1984" so seriously that they tried to convince people that the calendar should be reset to the year "0" so that we would never have a "1984".

And, back then, the Mac was as new and shiny as the iPhone.
  • In 1984 I was two years old. In fact, during the Super Bowl in January I was still one.
  • I watch an average amount of television. And even though commercials are on, I rarely see them. They just don't register. My eyes glaze over, or I get up and wander around the house, or I talk with my wife, or I fold some laundry, or SOMETHING. But I think fairly soon that advertisers are going to figure out that we aren't paying any attention. There is nothing about which I could care less than how a company tries to pitch their product to me. If I need something, I will price it and buy it. Otherwise, what's the point? I don't need TV commercials to tell me what to spend my money on.

I honestly, sitting here, can't recall one commercial that I would find worth discussing. And I'm not emotionally vested in them enough to care about hating them.

Plus, when I sit down to watch the Super Bowl on Sunday, I'm going to be WATCHING THE FOOTBALL GAME. When did the ads become a spectator sport? This annoys me greatly. So many viewers are getting all excited about giving advertisers a chance to sell them something. What a loser mentality. Sell me something, please! I can't wait any longer! I've got to see the new Pepsi ad, as though I've never tasted Pepsi and need to be coached about its merits! Won't anyone help? Wherefore art thou, oh Pepsi Co?

Grrr.
  • She's one of those people that like to have it on for "background noise". I've never been able to do that.
    I am one of those people too. I don't know how it happened but I am actually more productive when I have the T.V going or listening to some podcast that is of moderate quality. When I actually want to watch/listen a show that I enjoy, I direct my full attention to it.
  • So many viewers are getting all excited about giving advertisers a chance to sell them something. What a loser mentality. Sell me something, please! I can't wait any longer! I've got to see the new Pepsi ad, as though I've never tasted Pepsi and need to be coached about its merits! Won't anyone help? Wherefore art thou, oh Pepsi Co?
    Grrr.
    It's not a loser mentality. It's whether you think an ad is fun to watch. I have never eaten at Taco Bell. It is very likely that I never will eat at Taco Bell. However, I greatly enjoyed chronocross_xp's Taco Bell commercial. It didn't sell me anything, but it made me happy to see it.
  • So many viewers are getting all excited about giving advertisers a chance to sell them something. What a loser mentality. Sell me something, please! I can't wait any longer! I've got to see the new Pepsi ad, as though I've never tasted Pepsi and need to be coached about its merits! Won't anyone help? Wherefore art thou, oh Pepsi Co?

Grrr.
    This is self-explanatory.

It began when the TV station realized how valuable the ad timeslots during the SuperBowl were. They started charging more and more for them. This clued in the advertisers, who realized that it was worth their while to ensure their ads were noticed; after all, when you're paying $2.5 million for 30 seconds, you want to get the most out of your time. The companies starting shelling out more money and finding better ad agencies to get their ads noticed. Quirky, creative, and sometimes annoying ads served their purpose.

Now, like all things, it was driven to excess, and what was exceptional became the norm. However, that's when marketers came to the rescue! Companies started making preview ads, teasers for the ads you'd see in the upcoming game. The media supported it in that dumbass way they do. They became a cultural phenomenon, due in no small part to the efforts of the advertisers and the station.

There's really no difference between Super Bowl ads and normal ones; they both make money for the station and content owner and generate business for the advertiser. These just happen to have a lot of popularity, generated by a feedback loop of capitalism.
  • I know WHY it happened, I just can't believe it. Swindling as entertainment. Who would have guessed?
  • In 1984 I was two years old. In fact, during the Super Bowl in January I was still one.
    So I'm nearly 20 years older than you. Talk about youth being wasted . . .
    So I'm nearly 20 years older than you. Talk about youth being wasted . . .
    I was only 1 at the END of 1984.
  • STOP! STOP! I am STILL young!
  • STOP! STOP! I am STILL young!
    I wasn't even alive...
  • edited February 2007
    Maybe that's why I was so much happier then . . .
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • There is nothing about which I could care less than how a company tries to pitch their product to me. If I need something, I will price it and buy it. Otherwise, what's the point? I don't need TV commercials to tell me what to spend my money on.
    I've been wondering about the ads I see on the Metro every day. Why do Raytheon, McDonnell-Douglas and Hughes Aircraft feel like they need Metro ads? I have this mental picture of a wife reminding her husband, "Now Honey, don't forget to pick up an experimental weapons package on your way home."

I know they may be targeted towards Pentagon types, and it is weird but not unusual to see field-grade officers riding the Metro, but I would hope they make their procurement decisions based on research, not ads they see on the way in to work. I have this other mental picture: "Damn. We really do need some new guns and shit. Where can we get more guns and shit? Hmmmm. Oh yeah! I saw a Raytheon ad on the Metro this morning. They'll sell us more guns and shit."
    I think fairly soon that advertisers are going to figure out that we aren't paying any attention.
    I might be too paranoid with this line of thinking, but do you think they might advertise just so they may exert control over programming?
  • Why do Raytheon, McDonnell-Douglas and Hughes Aircraft feel like they need Metro ads?
    They probably aren't advertising to sell product. They are advertising their brand. They do a lot of business in Washington other than selling contracts to the Pentagon. There are also a lot of people in Washington who make decisions on very large contracts who are not at the Pentagon, i.e: Congresspeople. I'm not just talking about elected people either, I'm talking about their staff, the staff's staff and so on. It is very important to get your brand some name recognition and to associate it with good feelings in the hearts and minds of people that count.
  • They probably aren't advertising to sell product. They are advertising their brand. They do a lot of business in Washington other than selling contracts to the Pentagon. There are also a lot of people in Washington who make decisions on very large contracts who are not at the Pentagon, i.e: Congresspeople. I'm not just talking about elected people either, I'm talking about their staff, the staff's staff and so on. It is very important to get your brand some name recognition and to associate it with good feelings in the hearts and minds of people that count.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying there, but I would still feel better thinking that they would be satisfied with their ads in Aviation Week and Space Technology, Air Force magazine, Jane's, and such. I also like my mental theaters better. Finally, if people share anything in common with me, they won't associate good feelings with Metro ads. I'm usually on the Metro when I'm either tired in the morning on the way to work, or tired at night on the way home. The ads I see I associate with feeling tired and crappy. So, for instance, I'll probably never buy Bose headphones for no other reason but that I usually see the ads when I'm feeling crappy and so I associate Bose headphones with feeling crappy.

• So I'm nearly 20 years older than you. Talk about youth being wasted . . .
    A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age.
  • So, for instance, I'll probably never buy Bose headphones for no other reason but that I usually see the ads when I'm feeling crappy and so I associate Bose headphones with feeling crappy.
    Ever notice how awful the ads are for Bose products? The production, the voiceover, the creativity...they're barely a step ahead of used car dealer ads. These are supposed to be premium products?
  • So, for instance, I'll probably never buy Bose headphones for no other reason but that I usually see the ads when I'm feeling crappy and so I associate Bose headphones with feeling crappy.
    Ever notice how awful the ads are for Bose products? The production, the voiceover, the creativity...they're barely a step ahead of used car dealer ads. These are supposed to be premium products?
    That's because you are not listening to the ads with Bose speakers/head phones. If you were you would be hearing the hidden messages :)
  • That's a good point; I wonder what would happen if I watch the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads on my Mac? Probably some instructions to pat myself on the back, look smug, and strut around PC users with a self-possessed air.
  • That's a good point; I wonder what would happen if I watch the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ads on my Mac? Probably some instructions to pat myself on the back, look smug, and strut around PC users with a self-possessed air.
    When you view the ads on a mac the two guys are replaced with hot naked woman, though the PC one is a quadruple amputee...

I'm NOT old!

I'm NOT old!
    Forgive him, he's at a difficult stage.