This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Audacity Sound Editing

13»

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Wine?
    Also, did you google your problem?
    http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/827/cpsid_82744.html
    Post edited by Aria on
  • I did, and it keeps failing. I did a fresh download and am about to attempt a new install.
  • Alright, presumably my installer was corrupted. I still got install errors, but PS works not and I'm not complaining. The serial worked right away; I'll apply the cache hack as needed.

10 internets to Aria; confirmed for Bad Dude.
  • So, here I am with a recording of Cogswell Pepperbox reading Beowulf aloud, but it's in 40 different pieces because Audacity is terrible. Anybody want to be a bro and put it all together? Internets will thank you.
  • but it's in 40 different pieces because Audacity is terrible
    "40 different pieces" doesn't sound like an Audacity problem. What the fuck did you do? ;^)
  • but it's in 40 different pieces because Audacity is terrible
    "40 different pieces" doesn't sound like an Audacity problem. What the fuck did you do? ;^)
    Audacity crashed, then told Gunter to fuck off and manually reconstruct the 40 different pieces if he wanted his recording back.
  • Audacity crashed, then told Gunter to fuck off and manually reconstruct the 40 different pieces if he wanted his recording back.
    So he wasn't saving regularly? Also, he'd better not have been using the beta version.
  • edited September 2011
    Audacity crashed, then told Gunter to fuck off and manually reconstruct the 40 different pieces if he wanted his recording back.
    So he wasn't saving regularly? Also, he'd better not have been using the beta version.
    Saved regularly? While I recorded seven minutes of audio? Using the most recent recent stable release I recorded something, pressed the stop button, then watched it crash. When I started it up again it said something along the lines of "Shit crashed, can't automatically recover your shit, but you can do that shit manually". Apparently it saves the audio in a bunch of little chunks in a temp file as you record it. Now I'm being lazy and hoping some other nerd will be motivated by the words "Pepperbox" & "Beowulf" in the same sentence.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited September 2011
    Done. Just put piece after piece. Someone with actual skill should do some fancy shit to make it sound better though.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • Now I'm being lazy and hoping some other nerd will be motivated by the words "Pepperbox" & "Beowulf" in the same sentence.
    Tempting...

I might work on that tomorrow.
  • Saved regularly? While I recorded seven minutes of audio? Using the most recent recent stable release I recorded something, pressed the stop button, then watched it crash.
    Audacity has problems, but it's usually not that unstable.

What sound card are you using? OS? Recording how many channels? Doing anything else at the time? Back in the day, Rezound was great for editing, but horribly unstable recording. As such, I us

When I remember to, I turn on our Marantz as a backup through the mixer in the event of software disaster or power outage. (It's saved us more than once, but also un-saved us recently when I hadn't actually turned it on...). Of course, I don't suggest buying one just for this purpose: they're quite expensive.
    Just put piece after piece. Someone with actual skill should do some fancy shit to make it sound better though.
    I will do it for one un-shit-talk credit. As in, I get a free pass out of some thing I've shit-talked in the past. ;^)
  • Just put piece after piece. Someone with actual skill should do some fancy shit to make it sound better though.
    I will do it for one un-shit-talk credit. As in, I get a free pass out of some thing I've shit-talked in the past. ;^)
    I'm not sure it works like that...
  • As in, I get a free pass out of some thing I've shit-talked in the past. ;^)
    One down, ten thousand to go.

How's that counterstrike server coming, Rym? :P
  • How's that counterstrike server coming, Rym? :P
    I ran a Ricochet server Saturday for some testing. ;^)
  • I ran a Ricochet server Saturday for some testing. ;^)
    Uh-huh. And when were you going to tell the rest of us about it so you could actually get some people on it to test it? :V
  • Uh-huh. And when were you going to tell the rest of us about it so you could actually get some people on it to test it? :V
    When I intend to leave it running for an extended period. Turned it off to render video. ;^)
  • edited September 2011
    No deal. Because you'd just pick something that's far harder when redeeming that credit, resulting in a positive gain for you. So no.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • edited September 2011
    What sound card are you using? OS? Recording how many channels? Doing anything else at the time? Back in the day, Rezound was great for editing, but horribly unstable recording.
    Windows 7, whatever is built into my laptop, just the one channel, while using Skype. Clearly not the ideal environment, but in my defense it was a throwaway "oh man, we should record this" moment.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Windows 7, whatever is built into my laptop, just the one channel, while using Skype. Clearly not the ideal environment, but in my defense it was a throwaway "oh man, we should record this" moment.
    And we got the entire thing. I'd say that's quite the big plus for Audacity.