This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What is your preferred anti-zombie armament? Oh, and guns too.

Comments

• Mr. Less, I understand your thinking that the Army can't be stopped with our personal weapons. However, we must remember that it has been shown time and again from the Spanish Civil War to Afghanistan and Vietnam that a poorly armed but well motivated guerilla force can cause many problems for even a well equipped army.
    Wolveriiiiiiiiines!
  • True, they might be useful in a crisis like that, but you can just store the guns in the shelters. And pass them out to the people who are allowed to use the guns, keep that on file in the shelter. My main annoyance is that people are claiming they need guns, but they don't.
    What happens if the people storing the guns then declare themselves to be the ruling class? What are we going to do? Government involvement just fucks everything up. There are too many possibilities where it could fuck up.
    My main annoyance is that people are claiming they need guns, but they don't.
    People don't need guns, they have a RIGHT to own a gun. Guns represent power, freedom, and individualism. Yet another Jefferson quote:
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks.
  • People don't need guns, they have a RIGHT to own a gun.
    I know they have the right. My annoyance is that they CLAIM they NEED a gun. You shouldn't comment on half a sentence.

As for your gripes with my suggestion, true. But it's a suggestion. You can use it and perhaps create a working system.

And guns also represent paranoia, arrogance and egotism.
  • I still don't see how the fuck you people want to fight your army when the government goes from bad to worse. The army is trained to kill people and have machine guns. Let's not yet bother about tanks, grenades, mines, bombs, missiles and the other big stuff.
    The majority of the army would most likely support the civilian population. Soldiers care about their rights too.
  • I still don't see how the fuck you people want to fight your army when the government goes from bad to worse. The army is trained to kill people and have machine guns. Let's not yet bother about tanks, grenades, mines, bombs, missiles and the other big stuff. Do you people really think you can grab your gun, go out, meet up with the few other idiots in your town and win? When the right was made, yes, back then it was still possible. The military had the same weapons as you could get under that law. But that's no longer the case! And what the fuck do you need a gun for then? Self-defense? A bat, negotiation and/or martial arts skill works just as well. And of course 911.
    It's not that we want to stand up and be killed, it's that we're willing to stand and fight for what we believe in. The Government exists to serve us, not the other way around. When the Government comes in the middle of the night for your family, what will you do? I have a rifle, I know what I'm doing.
  • The majority of the army would most likely support the civilian population. Soldiers care about their rights too.
    Hahahaha. If I've learned anything it's that most people totally cave under the weight of authority. I mean, if soldiers were going to disobey orders like that, why didn't every soldier in Vietnam just refuse to get off the boats?
  • edited January 2008
    The majority of the army would most likely support the civilian population. Soldiers care about their rights too.
    Hahahaha. If I've learned anything it's that most people totally cave under the weight of authority. I mean, if soldiers were going to disobey orders like that, why didn't every soldier in Vietnam just refuse to get off the boats?
    Just look at the Milgram experiment:
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Why do you need guns any more then? You have one of the worlds best equipped armies.
    Also, Genocide in America? How, Who and Why?
    Well if you look at their history, them Native Americans seemed to decrease in numbers when the Americans started killing them all/killing their food in stupidly high numbers.
  • The only purpose of guns is to kill other living beings. The only reason to buy a gun is to have the ability to kill another living being quick and easy. Owning a gun makes you a potential killer. I would be scared to live in a country in which the average citizen has the right to become a potential killer.

That's all I have to say.
  • The only purpose of guns is to kill other living beings. The only reason to buy a gun is to have the ability to kill another living being quick and easy. Owning a gun makes you a potential killer. I would be scared to live in a country in which the average citizen has the right to become a potential killer.

That's all I have to say.
    Then stay away from America

-potential killer
    Well better be scared. Every house near you has big deadly knives in the kitchen! Watch out for people who know jiu jitsu also, they can probably snap you like a twig. Oh, and you better stay off the road. Cars are probably the deadliest weapon ever created. Even a harmless frail old man with nothing but a loin cloth could be a killer. He'll bite through your neck with his dentures.

I've noticed that people who aren't from the US tend to get the idea that the US is this place with just guns all over the place. I've known people who take trips to foreign countries and one of the first things they are asked by foreigners is if they have a gun. The US has not been the wild west for over a century. There aren't shoot outs on all the streets. In an average day in NYC, the only gun you will see is on a police officer's hip. The presence, or absence, of guns really doesn't have much effect on every day life.
  • There aren't shoot outs on all the streets.
    That's right. There aren't shootouts on all the streets, just a substantial percentage of the ones in DC, Baltimore, and Detroit.
  • edited January 2008
    I've noticed that people who aren't from the US tend to get the idea that the US is this place with just guns all over the place. I've known people who take trips to foreign countries and one of the first things they are asked by foreigners is if they have a gun. The US has not been the wild west for over a century. There aren't shoot outs on all the streets. In an average day in NYC, the only gun you will see is on a police officer's hip. The presence, or absence, of guns really doesn't have much effect on every day life.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell them, then they won't be afraid of us.
    That's right. There aren't shootouts onallthe streets, just a substantial percentage of the ones in DC, Baltimore, and Detroit.
    And don't forget Philly where last year more people were gunned down than there were days in the year. However, I've been to Philly many times and never once been shot or even stabbed.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • edited January 2008
    That's right. There aren't shootouts onallthe streets, just a substantial percentage of the ones in DC, Baltimore, and Detroit.
    But wait! DC has a ban on guns! Shouldn't that mean the gun crime should be low?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2008
    But wait! DC has a ban on guns! Shouldn't that mean the gun crime should be low?
    That would make sense, don't you think?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Thatwouldmake sense, don't you think?
    Well if we take away guns they can't be shooting each other. I mean that's like dividing by zero, we know that's impossible (*cough* without calculus *cough*). I know, people are throwing bullets at each other! We have to ban bullets too!
  • Well if we take away guns they can't be shooting each other.
    Prohibition and the War on Drugs serve to convince me that, if people want something, no government ban is going to stop them. You can't "take away" guns as completely as you suggest. People who want them will always find a way to have them.
  • It appears the sarcasm has eluded you, update your sarcasm detector to the latest version. :P
  • No, I "got" your sarcasm (BTW, if Mr. Nutia "got" my reference to Homer Simpson's concern about the "King of England" in the Simpsons episode "The Cartridge Family", he didn't show it.). I just wanted to take the opportunity to make the point about "taking away" guns as the Euro-types seem to want us to do.
  • That's right. There aren't shootouts onallthe streets, just a substantial percentage of the ones in DC, Baltimore, and Detroit.
    That would make sense, don't you think?
    Not at all. What was the gun crime before the ban? And besides, there were already guns in DC before the ban, it is thus easier to get a gun in DC than it is in a place where guns were never legal.
    Well better be scared. Every house near you has big deadly knives in the kitchen! Watch out for people who know jiu jitsu also, they can probably snap you like a twig. Oh, and you better stay off the road. Cars are probably the deadliest weapon ever created. Even a harmless frail old man with nothing but a loin cloth could be a killer. He'll bite through your neck with his dentures.
    Eh, all those things are normally used for other things. Cooking, self-defense (you can kill someone with jiu jitsu, but it's normally used to disable your opponent), taking you to a different spot, eating. Guns however are made to kill, an alternative thing you could do with a gun is to smack someone with it. Which is also painful. I do agree though that cars are dangerous in the hands of idiots, so are guns, but a car can take the victim of a car accident to a hospital, fast, a gun can't help a victim after they are shot.
  • Alright, I think we've beaten this to death.

What Non-Americans should have learned about Americans:
    1. If you don't like guns, stay away from America, we have 70 million
    2. if you live in America and don't like guns, STFU cause of the 2nd amendment, or GTFO
    3. Everyone has a gun and we're all crazy fuckers, don't look at us funny, we might shoot ya

Basically a govenrment generally seems to follow the will of it's people. The Albians seem to detest guns and want them banned and their government followed. Americans...well see the above list. :P
  • Well better be scared. Every house near you has big deadly knives in the kitchen! Watch out for people who know jiu jitsu also, they can probably snap you like a twig. Oh, and you better stay off the road. Cars are probably the deadliest weapon ever created. Even a harmless frail old man with nothing but a loin cloth could be a killer. He'll bite through your neck with his dentures.
    Yes, I am well aware of that everything you counted up can also be used as a weapon to hurt or kill other living beings. However, all the things you mentioned have a useful purpose for everyday life. Kitchen knives are useful to prepare and eat food. Cars are needed for transportation, etc.

A gun on the other hand does not. It's only purpose is to injure or kill.
  • Alright, I think we've beaten this to death.

What Non-Americans should have learned about Americans:
    1. If you don't like guns, stay away from America, we have 70 million
    2. if you live in America and don't like guns, STFU cause of the 2nd amendment, or GTFO
    3. Everyone has a gun and we're all crazy fuckers, don't look at us funny, we might shoot ya

Basically a govenrment generally seems to follow the will of it's people. The Albians seem to detest guns and want them banned and their government followed. Americans...well see the above list. :P
    Enjoy the school shootings :P
  • edited January 2008
    Yes, I am well aware of that everything you counted up can also be used as a weapon to hurt or kill other living beings. However, all the things you mentioned have a useful purpose for everyday life. Kitchen knives are useful to prepare and eat food. Cars are needed for transportation, etc.
    A gun on the other hand does not. It'sonlypurpose is to injure or kill.
    Guess you better outlaw bows and arrows or Katanas as well.

What about the use of guns for hunting or Shooting Sports? I love to go skeet shotgun shooting in my free time. It is perfectly safe and a great recreational activity that requires hand eye coordination as well as timing. To treat guns as only evil and ban them because of some moral ground is juvenile. People should learn to safely handle guns as well as treat them with respect, not fear. Like it or not, guns play a major role within human history, especially American history. To deny their usefulness in defending ones rights as well as use for hunting and survival is to deny our history as a race.
    Enjoy being coddled like a baby.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited January 2008
    Ok, first and foremost, fuck you. Why does a right to guns arguement with the Albians always become "well clearly you like school shootings"? Seriously, how many school shootings were there in America last year? One? Two? And how many were committed by mentally disturbed individuals? Answer, ALL OF THEM! Have you considered the possibility that school shootings happen in America cause we have a lot of fucking people and one or two have some wires crossed in their brains?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Any sort of weapon should underly a control.

Guns in a shooting range or for a sports activity normally underly such a control as the organizers will either give the guns to the participants or control and check them. It is so to speak a safe environment. The average home is not. Not every citizen should be trusted with a gun but the American constitution grants every citizen the right to own one.

Also there are better activities to train your hand-eye coordination then shooting projectiles at a lethal speed, no matter what the target.

I agree with you that people who want to own a gun should learn to treat them with respect rather than fear, but no law specifies that any person needs to get a basic training and understanding of guns to purchase one and have the right to own and possibly use them. On the other hand the defendants of the gun ownership make the claim that guns are needed to defend oneself, but isn't that an action entirely dictated by fear?

Lastly, the historic significance of an object has no meaning in the debate if an average citizen should be able to own that object. Hunting is an outdated "sport". People needed to hunt to survive. In modern culture this is no longer the case. And of course, hunting encompasses the act of killing another living being and of course there is nothing wrong with that...
  • Guns have plenty of uses besides killing. The obvious uses are marksmanship and hunting. However, there are many other non-obvious uses.

The primary use of a gun is to threaten, and not necessarily to kill. Think of it sort of like nuclear missiles in a way. If someone has a gun, and nobody else has one, that person is suddenly incredibly empowered. They're basically the boss just because they happen to posses a certain item. If you aren't the only person with a gun, then suddenly the whole dynamic changes.

You guys talk about school shootings, well I think those are an argument in our favor. A school is an environment in which guns are banned. If just one person steps into the scene with a gun, it's a massacre. If responsible and legal gun owners were on the scene, you can bet there wouldn't be a school shooting. Notice how the school shootings are all in suburban places where there are much fewer guns. In hicksville fuck nowhere people have an excess of guns, yet no school shootings. People there actually learn about guns, and give them the proper respect. They don't demonize or glorify them, as people who have no gun experience beyond TV, movies, and video games are apt to do.

If there were some way to complete remove guns form the society, legal and illegal, that would probably eliminate gun crime, and accidental gun injuries. However, there is no evidence that crime, or even murder, would decrease as a result. Also, of course, we have the previous arguments about defending yourself from the government.

The reality is that this is not possible. There is no way to completely remove guns from society. They exist, and people will always be able to get them. This is a fact you can not feasibly change. Taking that into account, what is the best policy? I think the policy in the US which allows responsible individuals to legally obtain and use reasonable firearms for reasonable purposes is just right.

Much like the car, and the computer, the gun is a very powerful tool. It can be used for great good, or great bad. Powerful tools such as these, however, are dangerous because they make it very easy to cause a great deal of harm. It's a lot easier to do a lot of damage with a nail gun than with a hammer. In the interest of what is best for society you do not ban powerful tools. You need those powerful tools to achieve great things. However, to minimize the damage you create a system that makes it more difficult to cause harm with these tools. We've done it for cars, and we do it for guns. That's the way it should be.
  • In hicksville fuck nowhere people have an excess of guns, yet no school shootings. People there actually learn about guns, and give them the proper respect. They don't demonize or glorify them, as people who have no gun experience beyond TV, movies, and video games are apt to do.
    I agree with most of what you say, but I feel I must point out that The Heath High School Shooting happened in West Paducah, KY, a nowheresville with a population of a little over 25,000. Also, Jack Thompson & Co. claimed media violence inspired the shooter kid.

I remember this mostly because it happened relatively close to Owensboro, KY - one of the places I practiced in KY, and the kid's father is an attorney. I didn't know his father, but some of my friends did.
  • Hunting involves killing. Not humans but still. Marksmanship is the skill of firing a gun to hit a target better. What targets do you shoot a gun at besides practice targets? Threatening is an activity passive from the viewpoint of the gun. What do you threaten with other than the ability to kill? There is absolutely no other purpose to a gun than killing.

And what the hell is your argument about school shootings? Legalize guns in schools so the other five crazies who were not able to obtain a gun can bring one?

The only difference between having another gun owner who opposes the instigator of a school shooting at the scene is the length of the massacre. People will still die. Allowing more guns is no measure to prevent a massacre. The only one would be to make it impossible for the crazy guy to get a gun in the first place.
  • Hunting involves killing. Not humans but still. Marksmanship is the skill of firing a gun to hit a target better. What targets do you shoot a gun at besides practice targets? Threatening is an activity passive from the viewpoint of the gun. What do you threaten with other than the ability to kill? There is absolutely no other purpose to a gun than killing.
    I am willing to kill in order to defend my rights and country if the cause is just.
    And what the hell is your argument about school shootings? Legalize guns in schools so the other five crazies who were not able to obtain a gun can bring one?
    And allow the other 25,000 students the chance to defend themselves.
    The only difference between having another gun owner who opposes the instigator of a school shooting at the scene is the length of the massacre. People will still die. Allowing more guns is no measure to prevent a massacre. The only one would be to make it impossible for the crazy guy to get a gun in the first place.
    Yes, people will still die, but hopefully only the crazy person. Allowing guns may not be a fool proof in preventing school shootings, but it at least allows victims to defend themselves rather than just run around helplessly. I also suggest you read my previous posts with evidence that outlawing guns does NOT decrease gun crime, but rather escalates it. The evidence is there. You are sadly mistaken that banning guns will lower gun crime.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will own guns.