This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What is your preferred anti-zombie armament? Oh, and guns too.

Comments

• Are you worried that the zombies will be wearing Kevlar? I don't think we need to plan for that eventuality.
    That gun, according to all reports, is so easy to fire it's scary. It has very little recoil, holds 20 rounds, and is pretty damn accurate. It's definitely the best pistol to be carrying if zombies are about.
  • Also, never underestimate the value of pole arms when it comes to zombies of all varieties.
  • pole arms
    I prefer the ranseur myself, though I know others are partial to halberds, and some like to strike at them with partisans.
  • If I were to resort to polearms, I'd say the glaive.
  • Re. the .22 being big enough, I guess it will really depend on the zombies. How much damage needs to be done to their heads to take them down? My thinking is that it will be too light to do enough trauma at anything other than short ranges. Remember, it's not only got to penetrate the skull, but it's got to still do enough trauma to disrupt whatever brain matter exists and is controlling the zombie. You've seen the shows where they're still wandering around with half their heads, right? The .22, if it penetrates, might just zip around, making it swiss cheese, but not doing enough widespread damage to stop it.

The .38, well, I refer you to the Moros in the Phillipines. .38 vs Moros It had problems stopping berserking humans. While I'll admit they didn't seem to do any headshots (except with a .45), it does bring into question the stopping power of the .38 vs. zombies.
  • edited January 2008
    It would probably depend a lot on the zombies. If you have the fast moving but human stamina kind then SMGs would work. For the slow but super stamina kind you want big bullets. If you get fast moving and super stamina then fail.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    All you ever need. Well, that and an infinite supply of weightless chainsaws so you can carry your ammo around.

As for polearms, I'm a glaive man myself. Of course, I would have it shortened to about six feet long so I could use it like a quarterstaff, since I'm actually trained with those.
  • To address an earlier point, The guns in the US allow us to participate in shooting sports... I know a guy getting into Yale on Trap shooting. Legal guns are protecting US citizens not hurting them. Guns aren't the problem, a gun cant kill someone on its own. Lets look at some fictional scenarios:

You walk into a convince store intending to rob it at gun point; If you can safely assume even one person in that store is carrying a concealed firearm, do you still rob it?

Your a criminal walking down main street. A rich looking young women walks bye; you decide to mug her at gun point. there is a 50/50 chance she has a gun. Do you still mug her?

Another problem I see is with the dual wielding of pistols:
    1) are the people who intending to dual wield pistols accounting for kick or the ability to re-load?
    2) Can these people shoot accurately with one pistol in both hands?

But, enough ranting my load out is anything but simple.

Basic gear:
    food
    water
    tent
    sleeping bag
    clothes
    rain gear
    Multi-tool
    maps
    compass
    transportation
    cooking equipment
    lock picks
    crowbar

Weapons:
    colt 1911: .45 cal. semi-auto pistol
    Ruger MK3 .22 cal semi-auto pistol
    M1 Garand: 30-06 Semi-auto rifle
    20 gauge pump action shotgun(b/c it's smaller and lighter)
    machete
    combat knife
  • Your a criminal walking down main street. A rich looking young women walks bye; you decide to mug her at gun point. there is a 50/50 chance she has a gun. Do you still mug her?
    What most people fail to realize is that a gun is pretty-much useless as a defensive weapon at close range. If a mugger steps out from the shadows with a pointed gun (or knife or whatever), they will very likely be able to prevent you from even going for your gun, let alone drawing, aiming, and firing. Unless you walk around half-cocked as it were all the time, a gun will almost never provide personal defense.
  • ... Unless you walk around half-cocked as it were all the time, a gun will almost never provide personal defense.
    A gun is fairly useful for personal defense when used in one's home during a home invasion.

Dual wielding is pretty much useless unless your are firing 1911's converted to .22 lr's; heavy weapon with light kick have less affect on accuracy, but that is a VERY pricey option. Dual wielding mp5's, on the other hand, is fine; you aren't exactly looking for accuracy there.

Back to guns used in a defensive measure. A gun doesn't have to be held by the person being attacked to be used defensively. I have a concealed carry permit simply for the fact that I dread seeing an innocent being turned into a statistic. I'll draw on a mugger, given an opportunity. And, BY GOD, if they make a move to do anything but drop the gun and run, they WILL grow extra breathing holes in the middle of their chest. I am scared shitless that that day might eventually come every time I put either the revolver or the compact 380 in my back-holster, because a loaded weapon scares me, mostly because that is my responsibility. And that is a responsibility up there with raising a child; One is shaping a life, the other is the possibility of ending a life, or lives, either accidently, or in the defense of another.
  • Posted By: wallybman

I'll draw on a mugger, given an opportunity. And, BY GOD, if they make a move to do anything but drop the gun and run, they WILL grow extra breathing holes in the middle of their chest. I am scared shitless that that day might eventually come every time I put either the revolver or the compact 380 in my back-holster, because a loaded weapon scares me, mostly because that is my responsibility.
    I have a friend who is exactly like you in that regard, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a concealed carry permit but I believe he would react in a similar way. This particular friend is taking me a couple of other friends shooting this week end. He is taking us through the NRA handgun qualification. He almost literally jumps through hoops to get us out to the shooting range, and because if this course I now have a Profound respect for guns, though not a fear. I know I will probably never need shoot someone but to protect someone else, But in the off chance I did have to I know I could and probably would.
  • I have wondered about the concealed weapons thing. If I carry a gun across my back you don't need one right?
  • I don't know about other countries but here in the US you need paperwork and permits just to own the gun in the first place. On top of that each state has laws about weapon type, mag capacity and rate of fire.
  • edited January 2008
    As much as I think bureaucracy in the sense or "red Tape" is extremely inefficient, having to wait for gun permits is a good thing. If for no reason but the fact that some people shouldn't even be carrying a gun, simply because they lack the mental stability to own one without going on a power trip. I've read articles about many people who as soon as they got a gun, at the slightest hint of confrontation, they immediately announced they had one and/or started waving it around like a loon.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I've always been a fan of widely-legal gun ownership coupled with extensive regulation requiring strict testing as to whether or not a person is actually capable of responsible gun ownership.
  • Omnutia - depends on where you live (I assume the US). The laws are pretty muddled. It can vary by State, County, and/or City. Some states allow open carry, but if the county/city you are in doesn't you may have problems. You also may have problems crossing jurisdictions as well. You need to review the laws in your area and where you travel to pretty closely. Even if you are in the right, you may get hassled by the police. Of course, this is all a moot point once the zombie apocalypse starts. However, you don't want to be stuck in jail due to firearms violations when the zombies attack... :)
  • Actually, according the Max Brook's "Zombie Survival Guide", Jail is the perfect place to be, considering how well it's fortified.
  • Actually, according the Max Brook's "Zombie Survival Guide", Jail is the perfect place to be, considering how well it's fortified.
    A place that is good at keeping things out is also good at keeping things in. What would happen if the infection got hold of someone inside? You would be fucked.
  • True, but at least the infected one would be easier to destroy.
  • Prisons are only good once you let all the prisoners out and the normal other people in.
  • There was a schlocky zombie movie that I saw recently where a guy that was infected was taken into a prison. It was one of those "zombie blood infection" types where the zombifying guy gets contaminated blood on you (or bites you) and you are a goner. It wasn't pretty. It spread pretty quickly in the jail because they weren't all alone in their cells (they were in a cafeteria room for lunch). I'm not sure I'd want to be trapped in an area with hundreds of zombies.
  • edited January 2008
    Solanum (the zombie virus) spreads the same way AIDS does...Fluid exchange. As in bites or eating ingesting contaminated flesh (you weirdos).
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Solanum (the zombie virus) spreads the same way AIDS does...Fluid exchange. As in bites or eating ingesting contaminated flesh (you weirdos).
    First off, AIDS is a condition, not a disease. One of the causes of AIDS is HIV, an immunodeficiency disease. Secondly, HIV does not transmit through all fluids, just blood and sexual fluids. You can't get it by kissing or sharing a drink or anything like that.

Just thought I should clarify that...
  • Sorry about that, My bad. What I was trying to point out was that Solanum transmits in a similar way as HIV. Though, by bites, I mean bites that their teeth actually hit your blood. The key is that it has to get into you some how. Keeping in mind that this is just for laughs, I am by no means a scientist, nor an expert in Zombiology.

Zombiology, heh.
  • edited January 2008
    Zombiology
    As accurate as creationist science.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • (you weirdos).
    Solanum (the zombie virus)
    Whahaha! Dude, there are no zombies, yet, so there's no virus.
  • Watch your step, foo, cuz I be packin'.
    Not really, but I did a human interest piece today at a shooting range and blowed up a (paper) groundhog with a .22 pistol from 40 yards.
  • Watch out with those .45s. Kick back is a bitch.
  • Not really, but I did a human interest piece today at a shooting range and blowed up a (paper) groundhog with a .22 pistol from 40 yards.
    LOL Nice grouping.
  • OzOz
    edited September 2010
    Dramatic Gerbil shaped target
    The outline on the target reminded me of this:

Post edited by Oz on