This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Grammar Questions

Comments

• Calvin "Then what about old paintings before that? They have color."

Dad "The paintings changed to color."

Calvin "How did the artist know which colors to use if everything was black and white?"

Dad "They were insane."

It went something like that. To bad all Watterson does now are paintings of landscapes.

• When did people start using B.C.E. and C.E.? When will we go back to B.C. and A.D.? Don't explain the p.c.-ness of it to me. I understand it. I just don't like the change.
    I don't really like this, because it is just pointless renaming. It isn't that p.c. of the changing point between B.C.E and C.E are the same as B.C. and A.D.
  • If there are people that are still confused about comma usage and other grammatical things, you should pick up the book entitled "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eats,_shoots_and_leaves

And really, BC and AD are more religious toned than anything. BC = Before Christ, AD = Anno Domini.
    I've never heard of BCE/CE to be honest, because I don't watch television.
  • In most of my anthropology courses at school, we used BCE/CE notation.

Wikipedia: Common Era
  • In most of my anthropology courses at school, we used BCE/CE notation.Wikipedia: Common Era
    In my Human Heritage courses we always used BCE and CE.
  • I constantly struggle with the correct way to quotate a word at the end of a sentence.

a) I'm not sure what you mean by "ethical".
    b) I'm not sure what you mean by "ethical."

It would make sense to me that you'd leave the period out of the quotations because it is not part of what you're quoting, but I've been told before that it belongs inside. Which is right/better?
  • I will have to adjust my habits, then.
  • If you ask me, just do what makes sense.
    Yeah, but I trust Jason. He's all grammar-y and shit.
    Sometimes, what makes sense is grammatically incorrect, and people will call you out for it. And that's terrible.
  • edited November 2010
    Well, in this case it's the difference between the "American" and "British" styles - both are widely used.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • For me personally, even though it may not be technically correct, if it's only one word, I will put the period on the outside.
  • According to the Big Book of Grammar rules we had in my journalism class, the period always goes inside the quotation. This was fine for periods, but always felt weird whenever other punctuation came up so I usually tried to write the sentence in a way where the quotation wasn't at the end.

On another note, did anyone else learn the rule that commas, when not used in a list, should always be used in pairs and placed in such a way that the sentence would remain grammatically correct if what was between them was removed?
  • a) I'm not sure what you mean by "ethical".
    According to the AP style guide, this is the correct form.
  • a) I'm not sure what you mean by "ethical".
    According to the AP style guide, this is the correct form.
    Journalism, the peak of human literature.
  • According to the AP style guide, this is the correct form.
    According to the rules of English grammar, that's the wrong form. Punctuation goes inside quotation marks; this includes semicolons and the like.
  • I think it's one of those things that, as long as you keep it consistent within a single document, doesn't matter.
  • I think it's one of those things that, as long as you keep it consistent within a single document, doesn't matter.
  • Punctuation goes inside quotation marks.
    See, that makes sense, but I'll get a letter grade knocked off a paper if I do that in Journalism 110. Seriously, it matters a lot in journalism to follow AP. Thank goodness I'm not actually going to become a journalist...
    See, that makes sense, but I'll get a letter grade knocked off a paper if I do that in Journalism 110. Seriously, it matters a lot in journalism to follow AP. Thank goodness I'm not actually going to become a journalist...
    Why does journalism chose to follow different rules than those of normal english grammar?
  • Well, in this instance normal English grammar is stupid.
    Why does journalism chose to follow different rules than those of normal english grammar?
    As a journalist and a member of the Ohio Newspaper Association, I'm not sure exactly where your teacher is coming from, Victor. The AP Style Guide is quite clear that periods go inside quotes, except in a single instance:

Always put the period and comma inside quotation marks. Put other punctuation marks inside when they are part of the quoted material.
    “ I saw the play,” he said.
    He said, “I saw the play.”
    “ Did you see the play?” he asked.
    Should I see “King Lear”?
  • I know that punctuation almost always goes inside quotes. However, there is an instance where I'm not sure.

Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter "A".
    or
    Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter "A."
  • Sesame Street is brought to you by the letter "A."
  • There is a modern problem of using quotation marks for explicit syntax or names of variables, as "blah," is possibly ambiguous in such a case.

However, this is easily circumvented by using italics instead.
  • edited March 2012
  • There is now an MLA standard method for citing a Twitter post.
    Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long.

Anyway, people in this thread might be interested in Stack Exchange's site for English Language and Usage:
    http://english.stackexchange.com/
  • edited March 2012
    Oh man, I'm going to use tweets in every paper I write from now on.

EDIT: I just learned about a new resource! The Corpus of Contemporary American English! Thanks English.StackExchange.com!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on