This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070510 - Your Thursday Show Ideas

RymRym
edited May 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss, after ranting a bit about After Hours Formalwear, your Thursday show ideas. In the news, the US government wants to restrict access to satellite images, and many gas-saving techniques are bollocks.

Scott's Thing - Prison Algorithm March
Rym's Thing - Mother's Day Picture

Comments

• Awesome thing of the day, Scott. I found this algorithm march a few minutes ago.
  • I got to say about the gas saving techniques is that cruse control is impossible to use on I77.

I'm really considering a scooter or motorcycle just for the savings in gas.
  • And who showed you that filipino prison algorithm dance Scott? Eh? Eh? ^_^
  • The only good instructional cooking show I've ever seen is Good Eats with Alton Brown. It's a Food Network show and they should have some episodes on dvd that you can watch.
  • What the fuck? People thought that putting a STICKER on their gas tank would increase their gas mileage? Who thinks that? What kind of person looks at a sticker and thinks that there is any conceivable way that it could affect their gas mileage?
  • The same people who thought sticking a sticker on the back of thier cell phone would increase your signal even though the cell phone tower coverage is horrible.
  • Railith speaks the gospel truth. Good Eats is a fantastic show not only for its sense of humor and terrific recipes, but Alton takes the time to show you the scientific reasons why cooking techniques work the way they do.
  • Yes, Good Eats is the best show on Food Network.

I used to think watching Rachael Ray was the best but, since you got married, she has added a few pounds to her back side.

• I used to think watching Rachael Ray was the best but, since you got married, she has added a few pounds to her back side.
    Rachael Ray is not a chef, she is a T.V personality.

• I used to think watching Rachael Ray was the best but, since you got married, she has added a few pounds to her back side.
    Rachael Ray is not a chef, she is a T.V personality.
    I was not watching the show for her cooking skills :)
  • New Rule: The women of the Food Network have to stop faking orgasms when they taste their food. Half of that programming consists of cute, spunky women putting things in their mouth and giving us their "O" face. Which is why I can recite 23 different pasta recipes from memory, and I don't even cook. Rachael Ray makes a 30-minute meal, and I'm finished in 15.
    This about sum it up Steve?
  • As to the show itself, I have to agree with the comment about not doing a cooking show, Scott would have nothing to add, and if Rym's cooking is stretched with Grilled Cheese, I'm doubtful of the show would be good.
  • Cooking with Rym: How to make 30 different grill cheese variants with the stuff in your kitchen!

Cooking with Scott: How to use a search engine to find local restaurants.

Not all of the woman on the Food Network are "good looking" Though that one who has the movie director dad... Is Guida her name? She's hot!!!
  • Thanks for the brief mention of my idea. I'd be cool with any discussion of Star Wars, really, I haven't found a good podcast about it yet. The movie idea was admittedly poorly thought out
  • The Mythbusters did that windows/A/C gas efficiency myth. They concluded that driving under 50 mph, A/C was more fuel efficient and over 50 mph, windows were a more fuel efficient way of cooling your car.
  • edited May 2007
    Grilled cheese show FTW!
    Me? I prefer to cook the sandwich without the water, and I prefer to use two slices of Velveeta thick sandwich slices, and either some nice black peppercorn turkey, or some sliced rotisserie chicken between the two slices of cheese. Of course, only buttering the one side of each slice of bread. THAT, my friends, is a deluxe grilled cheese sandwich. Also, some Bullseye brand original flavor BBQ sauce, or some Heinz 57, makes a good sandwich dip.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • Grilled cheese show FTW!
    Me? I prefer to cook the sandwiche without the water, and I prefer to use two slices of Velvetta thick sandwiche slices, and either some nice black peppercorn turkey, or some sliced rotisserie chickeb between the two slices of cheese. Of course, only buttering the one side of each slice of bread. THAT, my friends, is a deluxe grilled cheese sandwiche. Also, some Bullseye brand original flavor bbq sauce, or some Heinz 57, makes a good sandwiche dip.
    Velveeta? Barf!
  • Oh, no, the Velveeta slices are NOTHING like the nasty bricks. It seems they are made explicitly for the creation of grilled cheese sandwiches.
  • Wally, I have to agree with the stopped clock of food here: Veleeta is nasty.
  • I am happy they did not bashed on my idea of doing a Arrested Development episode :P
    I am behind the idea of a Star Wars episode because Star Wars is the real Jam !
  • edited May 2007
    I don't think you should limit yourself by saying - "Oh, we already did that show . . . " so often. You did a show on toys of your youth, sure, but if I remember, it ended up being mostly about Legos. You could get two or three more toy shows if you thought about it for less than five minutes.

I know you've done shows about various cartoons, but how about a show about the Saturday morning ritual? You could talk about how some comic books would have a two-page spread previewing an upcoming season, how sometimes the networks would have a special show of previews before the season started, how you'd wake earlier than you'd ever dream of waking during the week, then have to watch the farm report before the first cartoon started. Then you could talk about the line up and how the cartoons eventually gave way to the live action shows around noon. Then about one or two o'clock the only thing on was Wide World of Sports and The American Sportsman. You could talk about how you watched art and stories evolve over the years. You could, for instance, talk about the ups and downs in quality of The Superfriends. Were you the right age to watch Thundarr or Dungeons and Dragons? Thundarr's quality really went up and down, even between shows. You might compare and contrast the animatedd shows and the live action shows. Was Kaptain Kool and the Kongs any better or worse than Scrappy-Doo? Did you watch The Kids from C.A.P.E.R.? Liddsville? The Monkees? Ark Seven? How about Elektra Woman and Dyna Girl? How did they stack up against The New Batman Adventures?

How about a show on action figures? How they really sucked in the 80s and 90s (especially the Secret wars and the Super Powers lines), the difference between Megos and Marvel Famous Covers figures, the differences between Marvel Select, Marvel Legends, and DC Direct figures, Todd McFarlane figures, whether you should open the packages or buy an extra one to keep it "mint", making custom figures, etc.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • How about the "buff" Star Wars figure line from the 90's?

I still have some of the ones from the 70's (where the light saber was inside the arm) and those figs were far from buff!
  • edited May 2007
    Since you guys at Geek Nights were talking gas prices and allot of bouges ways people at the pump try save money. Then I ran into a article from yahoo news. It's about alternative fuel sources that might be coming to japan. Heres that article.

SHINANOMACHI, Japan (Reuters) - Japanese motorists may one day pump their cars full of sake, the fermented rice wine that is Japan's national drink, if a pilot project to create sake fuel is a hit with locals in this mountain resort.

The government-funded project at Shinanomachi, 200 kilometres (124 miles) northwest of Tokyo, will produce cheap rice-origin ethanol brew with the help of local farmers who will donate farm waste such as rice hulls to be turned into ethanol.

"We want to present the next generation a preferable blue print -- a self-sustainable use of local fuels," said Yasuo Igarashi, a professor of applied microbiology at the University of Tokyo who heads the three year project.

If the project catches on with locals then it could pave the way for similar endeavours across Japan that will see Japanese cars running on Japanese-made biofuels in the future, he added.

Japan, the world's second largest gasoline consumer after the United States, is entirely dependent on crude oil imports and it has been hit by the surge in oil prices.

With hefty carbon emissions reduction targets to meet under the Kyoto protocols, Japan is turning to biofuels. Yet motorists in Japan are still far behind drivers in Europe and the United States in their consumption of green fuels.

Some analysts say Japan is at a major disadvantage as high prices for local farm produce mean locally-made green fuels are exorbitantly expensive.

Added to that is a lack of support from the country's powerful oil distributors and a failure by the government to provide policy incentives such as mandatory usage.

That is where Igarashi and his team come in. They hope to show that biofuels are feasible and inexpensive by developing a low-cost fuel and encouraging a local community of about 10,000 people to take part in producing that fuel.

SWEET AROMA OF BIOFUELS

Production has just begun at the facility at a former high school field in Shinanomachi and a sweet, sour aroma, similar to that of unfiltered sake, wafts into the air.

"We like the idea," said Shigehiro Matsuki, the mayor of Shinanomachi.

"The new fuels are renewable... instead of fossil fuels which are running out."

Unlike spacious sugar cane plantations in the No.1 ethanol exporter, Brazil, family farming is dominant in Japan, with a majority of farmers working regular jobs and growing rice, the staple food, on their weekends.

There is plenty of potential to develop biofuels from agriculture waste and abandoned farmland, Igarashi said.

The project will test its biofuel on a "flex-fuel vehicle," which can run on any mixture of gasoline and green fuels and which is gaining popularity in the rest of the world as the battle against global warming heats up.

But Japan has no flex-fuel vehicles even though Japanese car companies Honda Motor Co. Ltd. and Toyota Motor Corp. produce them for the market in Brazil. So the team imported a red Ford Focus from Britain for the project.

With one 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of rice needed to produce 0.5 litre of ethanol, the main challenge will be creating a low cost biofuel that can compete with ordinary gasoline, which is now sold at around 135 yen ($1.13) a litre, including gasoline related taxes of some 56 yen.

($1=119.75 Yen)

I don't know why we can't do the same thing with corn.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Two things.

First, its not really surprising that Scott finds that carbonated soda hurts his mouth. Basically the only thing that carbonation does is trigger pain receptors - in most people that ends up just making the sensation seem more intense but I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that some people aren't cross-wired that way. Sex works the same way too.

Second, if you really need idea that badly how about a show on metasyntactic variables and other forms of geek jargon? I'm sure many listeners could be enlightened with a discussion of the wonders of foo, bar, baz, and qux - or whatever you guys use at RIT.
  • It may not be true in the US but at least in South Australia petrol is cheaper on Tuesdays. I don't have a study on it but the RAA (our AAA) track petrol prices and advise people to fill up on Tuesdays and it is generally observed.
  • I live in an area with rural interstate highways where cruise control is easy to use. The only problem is that it's hilly here. I've often wondered if the cruise control saves gas on hills. The car can't anticipate the hill, and winds up having to accelerate much more quickly as a result. Quite often, it has to drop down a gear, which can't be good for fuel economy.

If I'm driving, I can speed up before the hill so I have enough momentum to avoid down-shifting.
  • It may not be true in the US but at least in South Australia petrol is cheaper on Tuesdays. I don't have a study on it but the RAA (our AAA) track petrol prices and advise people to fill up on Tuesdays and it is generally observed.
    A gas station near us has a sign that proclaims they offer cheaper gas on certain days of the week. You know what? They don't really offer a sale on those days. They just raise prices the rest of the week. If you look at the prices at other gas stations on the same street, these people always have a higher price except on their "sale" days.
  • Didn't New York pass a law prohibiting gas stations from raising their prices more than once in a 24 hour period?
  • Didn't New York pass a law prohibiting gas stations from raising their prices more than once in a 24 hour period?
    I have no idea. Even if they did, this station isn't breaking any such rule. Every day of the week they have higher prices than the other stations. One day a week, they have the same price as the other stations. They change it once a day, so no law broken.
  • Most petrol stations have similar prices maybe a cent here or there but they all have cheaper prices on Tuesdays. Well maybe they all have normal prices on Tuesdays and more expensive prices the rest of the week but it is something that all or at least the vast majority of stations do. Not that it makes much diference we're still paying 117-130 cents a litre.