This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, what does everyone here look like???

Comments

• My bad Andrew. I thought you played trumpet. I gots nothing but respect and love for the French horn.
  • I actually like the clarinet. A lot of cute, shy girls wind up playing the clarinet.
  • I actually like the clarinet. A lot of cute, shy girls wind up playing the clarinet.
    TRU FAX!
  • edited October 2012
    I've never met a member of the brass section who wasn't a cocky douchebag. Then again, I've never met a percussionist who wasn't at odds with the brass, so maybe I'm biased.
    It's because the brass section are the only ones that compete on the same level of cacophony.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The clarinet should only be a step towards your true goal, sexy sax.
  • I never understood that transition because the finger positions to actual notes played is different. Clarinet to Bass Clarinet make sense.

Also clarinets are awesome. 1st chair represent!
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    Brass players don't need your silly little keyings. We make most of our notes with iron-clad embouchure and raw courage.

Physics forces us to use valves or slides in the lower registers: it's all guts after that.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited October 2012
    It's true. Trumpet is the most technically demanding instrument. I'd like to think that my (supposed from a friend) kissing skills come from 9 years of trumpet playing. For most of those years I wasn't even playing properly and tonguing, I controlled everything with embouchure and it killed me. Probably gave me great lip stamina (if that's a thing).
    Post edited by Axel on
  • RymRym
    edited October 2012
    French Horn is more technically demanding than the trumpet. The notches are much closer together in regular playing range, and it's like playing a balloon in the upper registers. Further, there is great pitch latitude at each notch, requiring further tuning with the right hand.

I was a trumpet player first and foremost, but I did play flugelhorn, mellophone, and French horn on a regular basis.

My lips, at the peak of my semi-professional play, were like an iron vise.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ah, I am mistaken. Still, trumpet is up there.
  • edited October 2012
    I feel pretty confidant in saying saxes are the worst instrument ever.
    Most sax players are douches
    :(
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • edited October 2012
    I'll say this much... the few times I tried playing a trumpet with its teeny-tiny mouthpiece, I had quite a difficult time with it when compared to the larger mouthpiece on my trombone. Then again, I also had trouble with the giant-ass tuba mouthpiece. Guess it all came down to what size mouthpiece I was used to.

Of course, all you French horn, trumpet, etc., players had those convenient little valves to help you out. :P We trombonists actually needed much more precise movements to make sure our slides were at just the right length to get the necessary pitch. Oh, and just try to play something that requires the slide in 7th position while marching. :P

Actually, I don't want to seriously get into a pissing match over which instrument is more difficult than what. They all had their quirks. Plus, I probably had a bit of trumpet playing in my trombone technique if only because our band director was a trumpeter and he pretty much insisted we play everything like a trumpet, at least as much as could be expected with a given instrument (the assistant directors, however, tended to play multiple instruments and knew that trumpet technique wasn't always appropriate for everything -- so it balanced out in the end).
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • French Horn is more technically demanding than the trumpet. The notches are much closer together in regular playing range, and it's like playing a balloon in the upper registers. Further, there is great pitch latitude at each notch, requiring further tuning with the right hand.

I was a trumpet player first and foremost, but I did play flugelhorn, mellophone, and French horn on a regular basis.

My lips, at the peak of my semi-professional play, were like an iron vise.
    ^ What Rym said about French Horns being the hardest
    You may hear unfortunate sounds from the horn section and think they all just suck. Most of them probably don't though and could be good musicians, its just super hard. (Was a person who thought horn players sucked until starting playing horn herself) ^-^;
  • Heh... Anyone who couldn't maintain their tone while marching was instructed to fake it and not actually play during real performances.
  • edited October 2012
    Not to mention that today's French Horn is actually two horns in one. Your thumb valve switches between a horn in F and one in Bb. You switch depending upon how high or low you are playing and depending upon the key itself. Furthermore your hand, which is placed in the bell, can be used to modify the pitch of the note significantly (if you are good, you can change by almost a full note). The mouthpiece also has the smallest diameter, making it extremely sensitive to embouchure changes, more than any other brass instrument.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Heh... Anyone who couldn't maintain their tone while marching was instructed to fake it and not actually play during real performances.
    This is absolutely true. Or you just plan out parts where one player is breaking and faking it and the others fill in, then you switch off.

• I feel pretty confidant in saying saxes are the worst instrument ever.
    Most sax players are douches
    :(
    It's cool, they're just jelly of our buttery smooth sexy tone.

• I love the sax, it's just most sax players I've met are douches. I know some cool ones.
  • Man, I always try and stay above this drama. Literally, since the Orchestra pit is below the stage. I keep outta that place, man, they're like wild animals.
  • Did I tell everyone that I played sax before horn? I just decided to switch because the sax was too easy.
  • The stage is but a wilderness of tigers, Churba.
  • The stage is but a wilderness of tigers, Churba.
    True, but they're the tigers I'm used to dealing with. And you can make them fight by just pointing a spot more on one than the other.

• Did I tell everyone that I played sax before horn? I just decided to switch because the sax was too easy.
    Ihsahn uses sax extensively in his music. I win.

• I see no strings on those noise makers <_< where are the instruments at?
  • Halloween parties start tonight!

• edited October 2012
    In any case, it's well known that it's far above the stage where the really cool shit happens.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • No offense... but I have no idea who you are supposed to be.
  • Ziggy Stardust!
  • Oh right I know nothing about glam rock.