This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

First jobs

Comments

• I worked at a men's hip hop clothing store. I hated the co-workers, the store and the constant rap I heard for 4 to 6 hours per day. ARGH!
  • I worked at a men's hip hop clothing store. I hated the co-workers, the store and the constant rap I heard for 4 to 6 hours per day. ARGH!
    That must have been your visit to to the ninth level of Hell on a daily basis.
  • I worked as a counselor at a youth day program for kids ages 5 - 12. It was glorified babysitting, and about half of them were brats that their parents just dropped off so they could forget about them. Got to learn about a lot of unpleasant home situations that summer.
  • I worked as a counselor at a youth day program for kids ages 5 - 12. It was glorified babysitting, and about half of them were brats that their parents just dropped off so they could forget about them. Got to learn about a lot of unpleasant home situations that summer.
    Did that sorta or completely scare you off at having a child at all one day?
  • My first job (and current one to this day) compared to the jobs listed here kicks everyone else's ass. I work at a video store which is VERY similar to the video store in Leroy (if I remember correctly) that Emily described in the origins episode about anime. This means I can any movie I want (anime) whenever I want for FREE!!!
    Nah I think the dude who worked at the burger joint with the chicks in bikinis beats your job. :D
    I also think you're missing a "rent" in your last sentence...

Anyways, my first job (which I just happened to get last April) is bagging groceries at a local grocery store. Pay is shit (after taxes and union fees, it's probably around $5/hour), but the people are cool...and since it's usually slow, all I usually end up doing is sitting around talking to people.
  • Uhh...research assistant and TA at my college, while I was an undergrad. It was actually pretty rockin'.
  • My first job (and current one to this day) compared to the jobs listed here kicks everyone else's ass. I work at a video store which is VERY similar to the video store in Leroy (if I remember correctly) that Emily described in the origins episode about anime. This means I can any movie I want (anime) whenever I want for FREE!!!
    Nah I think the dude who worked at the burger joint with the chicks in bikinis beats your job. :D
    I also think you're missing a "rent" in your last sentence...

Anyways, my first job (which I just happened to get last April) is bagging groceries at a local grocery store. Pay is shit (after taxes and union fees, it's probably around $5/hour), but the people are cool...and since it's usually slow, all I usually end up doing is sitting around talking to people.
    That does sound like a cool job, but you cannot deny that my job sounds really awesome, no?
    Did that sorta or completely scare you off at having a child at all one day?
    Actually, no. I want a kid of my own some day, and as a result of that job, I've learned all the things NOT to do when raising a child.
  • My first for real job that wasn't at my school or working for neighbors was at Blockbuster, and let me just tell you that I am amazed that Blockbuster is still in business. Almost all of the customers who rent stuff there are people who would be better served by Netflix, they still use old ass DOS computers for their entire customer account database (I don't know how common this is for retail places), and their online service actually LOSES the company money.
  • first for real job that wasn't at my school or working for neighbors was at Blockbuster, and let me just tell you that I am amazed that Blockbuster is still in business. Almost all of the customers who rent stuff there are people who would be better served by Netflix, they still use old ass DOS computers for their entire customer account database (I don't know how common this is for retail places), and their online service actually
    Blockbuster is shit compared to my video store. We have stuff that goes back to the silent era of movies, we even have things that you CANNOT find anywhere else. It's absolutely astonishing if you saw how exstensive our VHS and DVD collections are.
  • Blockbuster is shit compared to my video store. We have stuff that goes back to the silent era of movies, we even have things that you CANNOT find anywhere else. It's absolutely astonishing if you saw how exstensive our VHS and DVD collections are.
    Good for you.
  • edited August 2008
    My first job was a summer job at an A&W. Let me tell you, I will never eat there or drink their rootbeer again. It's literally an giant vat filled with hosewater, three 10lb sacks of sugar, and three 1 gallon jugs of syrup.

After that I worked at EB Games during the pre-holiday and Holiday season the year the Wii was released and most recently I worked at the Sharper Image.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I did temp work for a local telco in tech support when I was 16, during some network upgrades. When that came to an end, I worked for Tim Horton's for a good two years. I worked up to management and hit the glass ceiling, at which point I graduated high school and left for bigger and better things.
  • I've worked at the Giant near my house for three years, starting as a bagger and then working as a cashier. I hate my job.
  • Blockbuster is shit compared to my video store. We have stuff that goes back to the silent era of movies, we even have things that you CANNOT find anywhere else. It's absolutely astonishing if you saw how exstensive our VHS and DVD collections are.
    Did anything about my post about my time at Blockbuster make you think I liked working there? Blockbuster has a ashit selection and is an overall shitty place.
  • My first job was technically washing dishes in the back at my neighbour's vegetarian cafe, but I only worked there four hours a week and didn't stay there very long, so it didn't feel like a real job.

After that, I got a job with more hours at Subway. I was actually working at two different locations owned by the same person - one a food court location in a mall, and one a free-standing restaurant. By far, I preferred the restaurant location. It was in an overall nicer area, and I really can't stand food courts at lunch and dinner. Also, the food court location had a very nice, yet kind of annoying old guy with permanently crossed eyes who'd been working there for over ten years, apparently. o_O I eventually quit that job for three reasons: 1) needing to focus more on high school, 2) I couldn't make the sandwiches fast enough for them, and 3) I was very uncomfortable with handling the hot pans straight out of the bread oven.
  • Other than acting and voice acting gigs when I was little, my first real job was as a compliance checker. It was an independent business (not affiliated with the authorities) hired by stores that sold cigarettes and alcohol. I was just driven around by my boss, I would go in (dressed nicely), attempt to purchase beer/wine cooler/flavored malt beverages, and do a quick inspection of the facilities (including bathrooms and the like). If the clerk sold to me, I left the store immediately and brought the product to my boss, that took my license (that said in big red letters that I was under 21 as all New York licenses do for minors) and the alcohol back into the store. He would discuss the matter with the clerk and/or any manager that was in the store and he would make the facilities inspection. Then he reported his finding to the store owner. It was up to them how they handled their employee (usually it was a suspension for the clerk on the first offense and firing on the second). It was pretty excellent - I would just read in the car or chit-chat with my boss and occasionally we went on weekend long trips throughout the Northeast.
    Did anything about my post about my time at Blockbuster make you think I liked working there? Blockbuster has a ashit selection and is an overall shitty place.
    I'm just saying it for the record. Because at the vid store I work at, we have a gigantic sized hatred for Blockbuster because they take away quite a bit of our business.
  • My first job I worked for a company that sells Plantronics headsets online. I put information into their database, that I had to find based on product codes, and then moved it onto their website, followed by some degree of quality control. That was it. This job was possible the most mind numbing thing I have done, with the exception of half of my present job. Though I'm still glad I haven't had to work any retail jobs yet, I have a feeling that I would find that sort of thing miserable.
  • My first job I worked for a company that sells Plantronics headsets online. I put information into their database, that I had to find based on product codes, and then moved it onto their website, followed by some degree of quality control. That was it. This job was possible the most mind numbing thing I have done, with the exception of half of my present job. Though I'm still glad I haven't had to work any retail jobs yet, I have a feeling that I would find that sort of thing miserable.
    That does indeed sound very monotonous, but It's nothing compared to sitting an assembly line. I have friends who've done that, and they it's the worst fuckin' job in the history of the universe.
  • edited August 2008
    In general, manual labor is shit.
    I worked at a sorta assembly line at my dad's work once, making stamp pads. First line was the people printing the logos on the stamp pads. Second line was where I worked- putting the top and the bottom of the stamp pads together, which involved taking both pieces and snapping them together...for 4-5 hours. Third line was the people who put the ink pads inside the plastic stamp pads. Last line was shrink wrapping them.
    Really, when people at my grocery store complain about it being slow because there aren't that many customers in there, it's NOTHING compared to my dad's place. Those 4-5 hours that I worked there each day for a week went by so...goddamn...slow. Felt like days at a time.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • In general, manual labor is shit.
    I worked at asortaassembly line at my dad's work once, making stamp pads. First line was the people printing the logos on the stamp pads. Second line was where I worked- putting the top and the bottom of the stamp pads together, which involved taking both pieces and snapping them together...for 4-5 hours. Third line was the people who put the ink pads inside the plastic stamp pads. Last line was shrink wrapping them.
    Really, when people at my grocery store complain about it being slow because there aren't that many customers in there, it's NOTHING compared to my dad's place. Those 4-5 hours that I worked there each day for a week went by so...goddamn...slow. Felt like days at a time.
    I may come off as defending the assembly linemen but I'm not, but someone's gotta do it and I feel sorry for the schmucks who have to do it.
  • edited August 2008
    Edit: I didn't realize that this was a necro'd topic that I had previously replied to. I've got to start checking those dates.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • someone's gotta do it
    not really. Everything being done at my dad's place could easily be done by machines with probably a quarter of the amount of workers currently there.
  • someone's gotta do it
    not really. Everything being done at my dad's place could easily be done by machines with probably a quarter of the amount of workers currently there.
    well someone's gotta operate the machines (if they don't have auto settings) or more likely repair them should they break.
  • Bagging groceries, the place was called Pick n' Save, but all the employees called it Pick n' Slave.
  • someone's gotta do it
    well someone's gotta operate the machines (if they don't have auto settings) or more likely repair them should they break.
    Hence why I said a quarter of the workers vs. none of the workers.
  • I've been working on my dad's construction sites since I was about twelve, mostly cleaning up. Now that I have my license, I mostly do "courier" stuff: running to architects/inspectors, picking up supplies, etc. It beats the crap out of physical stuff, I listen to podcasts while I drive, and my parents pay for half of my gas tank.

Besides that, I also work at a Dairy Queen which offers shit pay, all the ice cream I can eat, and some very fun co-workers.
  • Actually today is the second day on my first job ever (besides the ones paid by my parents): I'm a researcher and lab technician (in Experimental Psychology).
  • Other than being the score keeper for our Varsity Volleyball team in high school, I worked at a movie theater. Probably one of the cooler jobs you can do when in high school. You get to see free movies, let in your friends for free, and go to screenings before the movie came out. I had a lot of fun working there.