This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Going to RIT

Comments

• Where do you school, Nuri?
  • edited November 2008
    I did go to NC State University. Now I've graduated, but I'm applying for law school. That will be much more expensive.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • $37,000 per year? Really? Is that normal for a college in America?
    It depends on the size of the school, whether it's a public or private school, and whether you're in state or out of state. Generally, smaller schools are more expensive, private schools are much more expensive, and out of state is more expensive.
  • I'm just about finished with my first quarter of grad school up here at RIT, and I have to say it's pretty awesome. I wish I had gone here for undergrad.
  • edited November 2008
    $37,000 per year? Really? Is that normal for a college in America?
    No.
    It is for a top-tier tech school if you include basic expenses.
    To be fair, the average American hasn't even heard of it.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • To be fair, the average American hasn't even heard of it.
    While that may be the case, it's the number one IT school in the world. A technology degree from RIT is solid gold to most employers. Average Americans only know about schools that have sports teams or appear in their popular culture frequently. ^_~
  • While that may be the case, it's the number one IT school in the world. A technology degree from RIT is solid gold to most employers. Average Americans only know about schools that have sports teams or appear in their popular culture frequently. ^_~
    Yeah, people don't know about Rose-Hulman either, but that's also one of the top tech schools out there.
  • it's the number one IT school in the world
    I was always under the impression that that was MIT.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2008
    I was always under the impression that that was MIT.
    Hardly. RIT founded Information Technology as a program of study at both the undergraduate and graduate level, and in fact offered the first such degrees in the world. MIT is well known for their Computer Engineering/Computer Science, but RIT is by far the premier IT school.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Don't confuse the IT in the name of the school, which stands for institute of technology, and IT the major, which stands for information technology.
  • Don't confuse the IT in the name of the school, which stands for institute of technology, and IT the major, which stands for information technology.
    Uhm... I know.
  • Uhm... I know.
    A lot of people don't. ;^) They hear "IT" and associate it with MIT in their heads, despite the fact that Cal Tech, CMU, Rose-Hulman, and RIT are also major players.

Last I'd checked, the specialties were something like this:

Computer Science (general) - MIT
    Computer Science (theoretical and very high-level coding stuff) - Rose Hulman
    Computer Engineering - Cal Tech
    Information Technology - RIT

Of course, all of these are excellent technology schools, and carry similar weight in terms of job-seeking.
  • Cal Tech
    ...doesn't have the IT major at all.
  • ...doesn't have the IT major at all.
    A lot of schools don't. IT is a specialized field, but most of the people working in the industry have CS or CIS degrees. My Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is actually pretty rare (and thus very valuable).
  • While that may be the case, it's the number one IT school in the world. A technology degree from RIT is solid gold to most employers. Average Americans only know about schools that have sports teams or appear in their popular culture frequently. ^_~
    Yeah, people don't know about Rose-Hulman either, but that's also one of the top tech schools out there.
    That's true, a lot of people haven't heard of University of Waterloo, but they beat MIT in the ACM world finals for programming for over 5 years in a row.
  • ...doesn't have the IT major at all.
    A lot of schools don't. IT is a specialized field, but most of the people working in the industry have CS or CIS degrees. My Bachelor of Science in Information Technology is actually pretty rare (and thus very valuable).
    Yeah, the closest thing CSUN has is Information Systems.
  • Yeah, the closest thing CSUN has is Information Systems.
    Yes, it's actually a very different degree.
  • Yeah, the closest thing CSUN has is Information Systems.
    Which is what I'd be majoring in if I went there. It's basically IT, but then also a lot of economics and buisness stuff. But it's got more actual computer stuff in it than IS majors at other schools. The only other two schools in California with IT-like majors are CSU Channel Islands, where you have to be a CS major your first two years then change to IT your last two, and CSU Monterey Bay, which has a major called Computer Science and Information Technology. I applied to all three but would most likely go to Channel Islands because it's only about an hour from the city and has the only "real" IT program. Northridge is after that because it's nice and close to the city, and Monterey I really just plain don't want to go to because Monterey Bay is a dumpy city for old people and has horrible weather. Although, I would be able to drive up to San Francisco to visit my friends.
  • In Canada, when you want to get an IT degree, you get your bachelors in CS or Networking or Computer Engineering at what is equal to a community college and then you get a Bachelor of Technology at a university that offers one. Some offer a hands on approach, which is what college diplomas give you here, and then the theory at a university.
  • CSU San Francisco nominally has an IT program, but it's atrocious. It's basically a business degree, with some networking. An ex girlfriend of mine goes there, and we have an awkward silence whenever she mentions her major. (We have discussed our respective majors in the past, and she's far removed from geeky IT-dom)

UC Berkeley has a great CS program; but, then again, all of their programs are pretty good. As with other UC's, they focus more on theory than practical programming, so there's a lot of higher-level stuff. A lot of Google employees come from Berkeley, as well.

I heard RIT has sort of a sister-school-type relationship with KCG. Does anyone know anything about that? If possible, I'd like to get involved in that action, and maybe spend a year or two in Japan.
  • Bumping this thread up again - I got my acceptance letter for the Computer Science program in the mail yesterday. I'm pretty damn excited. Any advice? I plan on choosing the 10 Meal Plus meal plan (I've heard that the Ultra one is really limiting and annoying). That's the one with 10 Gracie's meals and $368 debit.

• I heard RIT has sort of a sister-school-type relationship withKCG. Does anyone know anything about that? If possible, I'd like to get involved in that action, and maybe spend a year or two in Japan.
    It looks like that's only one-way - KCG to RIT. RIT doesn't have a study abroad program for Japan, not one that I can find anyway.
  • Gracie's isn't too bad for breakfast. Dinner, I've found, is sub-par.
  • edited December 2008
    Let me tell you this much: RIT food service is renowned, and with good reason. You might get sick of Gracie's at some point, but it's actually good food. Seriously. Any other food service short of expensive professional catering just isn't as good, and I've had expensive professional catering that isn't as good as Gracie's. The other food service places on campus are also pretty damn good. I highly recommend eating a Roadie plate at Crossroads as often as your arteries will allow.

Just remember to mix it up every now and then, or you really will get sick of it. The 10/week with debit is a good way to go.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Crossroads is always a good place to go, I usually end up eating there when I'm on campus. Occasionally making the trip to the Ritz which also has some really good stuff.
  • Crossroads is always a good place to go, I usually end up eating there when I'm on campus. Occasionally making the trip to the Ritz which also has some really good stuff.
    The Hotburger is the best thing there. The wings are also pretty good.
  • The Hotburger is the best thing there.
    I ate a hotburger almost every night when I worked there.
  • The Hotburger is the best thing there.
    Is that hotdog in a hamburger bun or hamburger in a hotdog bun?
  • edited December 2008
    The Hotburger is the best thing there.
    Is that hotdog in a hamburger bun or hamburger in a hotdog bun?
    It's a cheeseburger covered in a meaty hot sauce, with onions and mustard.

It's full of grease and delicious.

EDIT: Shit, now I want one. Rym, do you know what went into that hot sauce?
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Wasn't macaroni salad involved as well?