This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Going to RIT

13»

Comments

• Wasn't macaroni salad involved as well?
    Are you thinking of a garbage plate?
  • The Hotburger is the best thing there. The wings are also pretty good.
    I have not had a hotburger, might have to try that one of these days.
  • edited August 2009
    Bumpety bump!

I move into RIT in a week, then I have orientation for another week, and then classes start. Anyone know what the best nerdy shops (comics, tabletop RPGs, German boardgames) in the Rochester area are? Any other move-in tips you can think of?

EDIT: Also, are the rumors about runny diarrhea true?
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited August 2009
    I want to go to RIT, and I live in Rochester, so grats! I hope I can go there in a year once I graduate, but money may be an issue. We shall see.

Nerdy shops I know of include:
    Hammergirl Anime
    and
    Millennium Games and Hobbies

Both are located in Henrietta, very close to RIT, and very close to each other. Millennium will have tabletops, card games, and board games galore. Hammergirl has a ton of Anime, Manga, and miscellanea related to those genres. Not so sure about comics or where to get them, though. Sorry.

If you go to either, however, beware. Millennium is heavily populated by monstrous Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic fans, my brother being someone who is still partially one of them. He barely does it anymore, though, but I wish he would just sell his cards already. There are a lot of tabletop fans, though, so you should be fine.

Hammergirl is also frequented by Narutards like nobody's business, so beware of that. Naruto and Bleach remain the store's top selling franchises. And yet One Piece isn't even in the top 50. *Le sigh.*
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Welcome to RIT trogdor!

Like Axel said those are the places to go for anime and board games. I've been to Millennium, but not Hammergirl. The RIT book store aka Barnes & Noble in Park Point has a pretty good selection of manga, comic trades and graphic novels.
  • I want to go to RIT, and I live in Rochester, so grats! I hope I can go there in a year once I graduate, but money may be an issue. We shall see.

Hammergirl Anime
    and

Both are located in Henrietta, very close to RIT, and very close to each other. Millennium will have tabletops, card games, and board games galore. Hammergirl has a ton of Anime, Manga, and miscellanea related to those genres. Not so sure about comics or where to get them, though. Sorry.

If you go to either, however, beware. Millennium is heavily populated by monstrous Yu-Gi-Oh and Magic fans, my brother being someone who is still partially one of them. He barely does it anymore, though, but I wish he would just sell his cards already. There are a lot of tabletop fans, though, so you should be fine.

Hammergirl is also frequented by Narutards like nobody's business, so beware of that. Naruto and Bleach remain the store's top selling franchises. And yet One Piece isn't even in the top 50. *Le sigh.*
    Goddammit, I wish I lived near Hammergirl. That alone would give me such a nerdgasm when I would walk in there for the first time. I imagine the Otakon dealers room would be a thousand times worse (or better, in my case). Fuck living in Oklahoma, where the well for geeky anime/manga/gaming stuff is dry...

• I heard RIT has sort of a sister-school-type relationship withKCG. Does anyone know anything about that? If possible, I'd like to get involved in that action, and maybe spend a year or two in Japan.
    It looks like that's only one-way - KCG to RIT. RIT doesn't have a study abroad program for Japan, not one that I can find anyway.
    Mr. MacRoss says there is a program at KCG. He went there in his senior year. There is an office on campus for studying abroad that would have all the details for you.
  • I want to go to RIT, and I live in Rochester, so grats! I hope I can go there in a year once I graduate, but money may be an issue. We shall see.

Hammergirl Anime
    and

Goddammit, I wish I lived near Hammergirl. That alone would give me such a nerdgasm when I would walk in there for the first time. I imagine the Otakon dealers room would be a thousand times worse (or better, in my case). Fuck living in Oklahoma, where the well for geeky anime/manga/gaming stuff is dry...
    I was so happy the first time I walked into Hammergirl. The Otakon dealer's room is about a thousand Hammergirls, like you said, but Hammergirl is still nice. They get lots of new manga all the time, though the DVD section tends to run a little dry. They also have Initial D, Melty Blood, and some other Japanese arcade game. All in all, fun times. Plus, it's run by a former president of the RIT Anime club, so even more good times.
  • The RIT book store aka Barnes & Noble in Park Point has a pretty good selection of manga, comic trades and graphic novels.
    The real reason to go to Hammergirl is for the figures and toys. Gabby (one of the owners) is into figures, so she can fill your needs for everything from cute little nendroids to eroi panty-shot kits.
  • The RIT book store aka Barnes & Noble in Park Point has a pretty good selection of manga, comic trades and graphic novels.
    The real reason to go to Hammergirl is for the figures and toys. Gabby (one of the owners) is into figures, so she can fill your needs for everything from cute little nendroids to eroi panty-shot kits.
    Yeah, that's true. Some of the figures and models that are in there have been there since the store first opened up. It's cool to look at them, but I imagine a model enthusiast would have a field day.
  • Cool beans. I get into Rochester on the 30th. I'm going to have a CLASSY PARTY sometime in Sept/Oct, and of course forumites are invited. There will also be various RIT'ers/UR'ers there.
  • Just to give you guys a hint of how dry the supply is where I live: I get super excited just going to a normal Barnes and Noble or Borders. I would be blown away so hard if I had even a little of Hammergirl or Otakon-style action.
  • Just to give you guys a hint of how dry the supply is where I live: I get super excited just going to a normal Barnes and Noble or Borders. I would be blown away so hard if I had even a little of Hammergirl or Otakon-style action.
    Just go to Amazon.com.
  • edited August 2009
    Just to give you guys a hint of how dry the supply is where I live: I get super excited just going to a normal Barnes and Noble or Borders. I would be blown away so hard if I had even a little of Hammergirl or Otakon-style action.
    Just go to Amazon.com.
    Some people do not have the available resource to shop online. For some people, live shopping is the only real way for us to spend our money. I would know, as 95% of my own shopping must be done in real life. Curse being young and not having a credit card. And having poor parents who can't use their credit cards too often...
    Post edited by Axel on
    Just go to Amazon.com.
    Some people do not have the available resource to shop online. For some people, live shopping is the only real way for us to spend our money. I would know, as 95% of my own shopping must be done in real life. Curse being young and not having a credit card. And having poor parents who can't use their credit cards too often...
    I realized this was a problem a while ago. I also realized this is pretty much the only reason that stores like GameStop can stay in business. It's also while Nintendo and other places sell Wii points on cards in the store. And it's also why iTunes sells gift cards in the store.

I, of course, suggested that someone should make some kind of non-credit payment card for kids so that they could shop online. Rym said it could never work. Well, I recently discovered that it already exists.

Behold Visa Buxx. Make your parents get one for you, and only use it to spend your own money. Just tell them how you'll actually be saving lots of money by being able to buy things online instead of wasting money buying things in stores. Also, they won't have to drive you to the store as much. It's an easy sell.

Also, when I was rather young, I got a checking account at the local bank. In the late '90s, when I had a job after school, I bought lots of computer parts at buy.com because they let me pay by sending them a personal check via snail mail. You can't complain about being powerless to do something when you aren't making use of the tools available to you. Get thee to the bank.
    Just go to Amazon.com.
    Fantastic advice for many years ago.
    I have a checking account. However, snail mail is virtually dead, and very few websites allow mailing a personal check as a transaction option. Also, my parents are paranoid, and will wonder what would stop any person I send a check to from not just cashing the check and not sending me my merchandise.
    However, Visa Buxx sounds interesting and useful. Unfortunately, I don't have a job, so it's kind of pointless for someone like me. But if one does have a job, then that is a good idea.
  • If you have a checking account already, it's a simple matter to get a debit card, and then from there to purchase things online.
  • If you have a checking account already, it's a simple matter to get a debit card, and then from there to purchase things online.
    Me and my parents did discuss that, but I don't make enough money or spend enough money frequently to warrant going through that process. As I said before, this is useful information for someone who has a job. But for people who don't, spending money online is a hassle, and therefore going to stores in person is nice.
  • One thing I'm aware of whenever I hear Rym, Scott, or anybody else talk about is that the hockey team and games are awesome and fun (respectively). Even a google search will bring up RIT Hockey as the second search option. Is this still true?
  • BeholdVisa Buxx.
    Ooh, awesome! That's much better than the bullshit AmEx card my grandma got me, which only works in the US, and SteamGames.com is apparently located in London.

*grumble*
  • Unfortunately, I don't have a job, so it's kind of pointless for someone like me. But if one does have a job, then that is a good idea.
    If you don't have a job, you shouldn't be buying things in stores or online, so it really doesn't matter.
  • Unfortunately, I don't have a job, so it's kind of pointless for someone like me. But if one does have a job, then that is a good idea.
    If you don't have a job, you shouldn't be buying things in stores or online, so it really doesn't matter.
    Well, I have the occasional moneys from working with my dad or other instances. However, I do not work with my dad on a set schedule, and I work for less than minimum wage, so I do not consider it a job.
    Just because you don't have a job doesn't mean you won't have money. It just means you won't have a lot of money.
    Also, I had a job one summer. But it was an internship, and therefore ended at the end of summer and was not renewable. I had much leftover money from this job, which is how I payed for Otakon.