This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I just saw the new Transformers movie...

2»

Comments

• I'd say the Decepticons are just used to TAKING what they want...they don't really go for the whole subtle routine...
  • Are you telling me the movie is a Chevy/eBay advertisement?
  • edited July 2007
    Yes, but if you watch movies and see how rarely actually talk about products the way that real people do, and compare that to how the characters talk about ebay, you realize that it doesn't seem to feel like an ad since they are speaking about the products naturally. Have you ever talked to someone about ebay? Does that make you a walking, talking ebay ad? No. And that is how I felt about the movie. You can mention stuff without it being an ad, and the actors were able to come across like that. There was a Mountain Dew placement in the movie as well, but making a representation of your product out to be something less than friendly isn't the most look-at-me shit ever, definitely. Also, there was a Nokia placement almost exactly like the MD one.

Simply put, the movie was good, and was not a commercial.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • It shows how evil X-Boxes can be. lol.
  • Are you telling me the movie is a Chevy/eBay advertisement?If you go in knowing that GM slapped Micheal Bay in the face with a stack of hundred dollar bills to make every car in the movie a GM vehicle, then yeah you will notice that part as a walking advertisement. But the e-bay thing just seemed to be there as a normal part of culture, not a direct ad that jumped in your face.
  • I also noticed one of the Decepticons is a ford Mustang cop car?
  • Yeah, I went and saw it this morning and I guess I wasn't expecting anything in particular as I don't have too many memories of transformers. That being said it was a pretty enjoyable movie! Giant robots, explosions, I think I'd equate it with Independence Day (the movie) which I also enjoyed on about the same level.
    Did you just pick that randomly? It's very funny, if so, because they are both movies directed by Michael Bay.
  • 'Ello loves, it has been a little while since I last posted. ^.^ I was in Florida for three weeks, so instead of looking at a computer screen, I went and met Mickey Mouse. Disney World is still one of my favorite places to be... very nostalgic. ^^

While I was down in Daytona Beach, I saw Transformers. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be great. It helps to have no expectations, then it really blows you away. I would definitely suggest going, the movie theater experience helps pinch up the action.
  • It was the best movie I've seen in a long time. We went and saw it at the drive in Wed. night as part of a double feature (it's always a double feature at our drive in) with 1408, which was also extremly good. Sunday, we saw Die Hard and the new F4 movie, and they were both really good. When we went and saw Spidey 3 and Vacancy, we left agreeing that Vacancy was the better flick.
  • I just got back, and here's my review (contains spoilers).

This film was visually stunning, of course. I usually refuse to see any films that use CG these days seeing as most of them are utter crap, but the way the Transformers were placed in a world filled with humans was done so well that I just could not look away. I loved the horrible tongue-in-cheek humor that riddled the film. The writing was really well done, except for the whole "I'm so glad I got in that car with you" scene at the end which is so stereotypical fro all action films. The humor, such as the air force guys trying to call the pentagon while being attacked, was very well done.

Anyway, onto the actual film. There is one scene that made me love this film more than I ever thought I would. This scene is when the ripped up, half dead Bumblebee is in the back of a truck shooting buildings over while the truck is being driven backwards by the sexy Mikaela while she is covered in oil from trying to fix Bumblebee while bad metal blares from every side of the theater. I was in a state of pure bliss.

I was kinda disappointed in the beginning by the severe lack of fire fights between the Transformers, but my craving for guns and flame throwers was more than satiated when Megatron and his fucking POSSE should up to kick some ass! Jazz getting torn apart by Megatron (voiced by the ever so awesome Hugo Weaving) was so awesome. Speaking of awesome things, I was surprised by how great the slow motion in this film was. Whoever edited the scene with Megatron (plane form) flying through the office building with Optimus Prime latched onto his under belly is a genius. The slow motion was perfect! It was short, conveyed it's point, and led to numerous white-collar workers being thrown hundreds of feet to the ground.

2007 has been a great year for geeky movies. First 300 and now this!
  • edited July 2007
    I saw it this past weekend, and it was exactly what I was expecting: underwhelming.

Vaguely spoilery:

None of the robots got any good character development— they tried to give Optimus and Bumblebee some, but in the end I cared for them very little, and the rest of the Autobots even less. And forget the Decepticons, they were simply flatly evil. Too much time was spent on the human story-arcs, and I couldn't have cared less about any of them. They could have culled down all of the human story arcs down to Spike Sam's subplot and the one with the Secretary of Defence. The human government side was important, and I guess you always have to have a Witwicky or two in whatever Transformers franchise arc you have. The ending had such hack/slash visuals and writing, it was so obviously bullshitted. I understand what they were trying to do, but really: What??

Also: MICHAEL BAY HATES BLACK ROBOTS. WHAT THE FUCK GUYS. D: ...n-no one even cared... ._.

Nitpicking: Starscream's voice wasn't irritating enough. There were no dumb 80's music references or the theme song, even in the closing credits. Optimus Prime should never, ever say "My bad."

In mourning, we watched the original animated movie last night. Dang that's an awesome movie. *sigh*
    Post edited by Aido on
  • The old Transformers movie was awesome . . . . for five minutes. Once Hotrod took the reigns, shit hit the fan and it was horrible.
  • Transformers: The Movie (1986) on YouTube. You're welcome.
  • I saw the new movie a few days ago, and it is awesome! Not AWESOME, but awesome.

I had semi-low expectations, but I was in for a shock.

*SPOILERS*

The opening battle . . . or rather slaughter, was very nice.

I groaned as things switched to the normal people, but the humor was well-done, and while every moment of teh funny would have been better-spent on more robot fights, it wasn't too shabby.

The last part of the film is what y'all really wanna see. All hell breaks loose and the action is all over the place!!!

I almost got up and shouted as soon as the word "Starscream" appeared on the screen.

There are a few misc comments I have:
    1. I breathed a sigh of relief as soon as I found out that the first Autobot to appear isn't Hotrod (aka Rodimus up his Assimus), but Bumblebee. YAY!

2. I was hoping that Bumblebee's radio would start spewing "The Touch" as Optimus appeared. No dice.

3. The action was well-done, but it was really hard to keep track of everything. The camera was too jerky at times and this is one of the few times where i'd have liked a stationary camera.

4. While I was satisfied with the Autobot lineup, I found the set of Deceptecons a bit odd. Megatron, Starscream, and Brawl are fine in my book, but I found Barricade, the chopper dude, Bonecrusher, and what I can only assume is Scorponoc to be odd. Where's the Thundercracker and Skywarp love?

5. I see a sequel in the works. After all, you don't leave Starscream, Scorponoc, and Barricade alive for no reason.

Overall: 8.5/10
  • Well, considering the fact that the movie has been out a week and has already made one hundred million more than it cost to make, sequels wouldn't surprise me very much. Plus. a friend of mine told me he saw on tv that Spielberg, Bay, and LeBouf have all signed on to do at least two more films.
  • I just hope they find someone to freaking write a decent script. That one was soooo full of holes.
  • I would recommend you see this movie in theatres, unless you have an amazing sound system at home. Other than that Scott, go nuts and get it off the 'nets. Other than that, the only reason being to see it is, it not only takes an action movie and makes it even better, but it is as though the movie is written by me, or anyone else in the total know. (Unlike that horrible outside looking in feeling you got for the writer of Die Hard trying to emulate the Geek culture) I mean...seriously,Bring the Rain.

islandergirlro - I gotta say I think the party I went with were the only people who got that joke. Being only seventeen myself (I went with my siblings + friends so I was a good 4-5+ years younger than everyone else) I never watched the show as a kid, but I was still able to understand just how clever the dialogue was written.
  • I liked it enough to see it twice. Partly because my wife abused me into seeing it with her one day and my friends the next day, partly because I wanted to see it again, and partly because I've been wanting to see the same move in Digital projection vs. film projection. Very interesting.

The movie was awesome for all the reasons people have already mentioned. I did find it somewhat racist perhaps . . . not sure. Subtly so at least. Robot fights are awesome and they did them delightfully. My nostalgia bone was tickled.
  • edited July 2007
    I don't know guys. I thought the movie was mediocre at best.

What exactly was the point of the NSA hackers? That story kind of went nowhere.

The humor was just eye-rollingly bad: Autobots stopping hiding from the kid's parents, the retardedly stupid Section 7 agent, the peeing jokes. Just get to the robot fights, all ready.

The fights themselves were good, but the style of direction and the focus on the humans POV made it really hard to tell what was going on. Honestly, I didn’t care that much about what the marine squad was up to while Megs and Prime are fighting each other.

What exactly was the marines' plan with the cube? They wanted to get the cube from an isolated desert area into downtown LA (buildings make good cover, I guess- but it seems like a shitty thing to do to the folks that live and work there), where it can be transported by air (where two of the most powerful Decepticons can attack it without interference from the ground-based autobots) to... where exactly?

And yeah, even in a movie about giant robots, they found a way to kill off the black guy.

I liked how they made Starscream much cooler. If you count the number of F22s that survive Starcream's attack and compare it to the number that deliver the killing blow to Megs at the end, there is one extra at the end. That just makes me smile.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on