This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Noise Canceling Earbuds.

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
I am looking to purchase a good pair of noise canceling earbuds- very soon. Price range: up to 150-200ish. However, I am hoping to find a pair for much less than this. I have checked out Scott's 6i isolator earbuds, and they really appeal to me, but the price is high up there. That is why I am trying to find a less expensive resort.

Comments

• While I am on the topic of buying products, does anyone know any good geeky watches? Preferably one with a built in usb drive.
  • I am looking to purchase a good pair of noise canceling earbuds- very soon. Price range: up to 150-200ish. However, I am hoping to find a pair for much less than this. I have checked out Scott's 6i isolator earbuds, and they really appeal to me, but the price is high up there. That is why I am trying to find a less expensive resort.
    You are not going to find much that is less expensive. The equivalent product from Shure is over $200. Also, these earbuds are not noise canceling, they are isolation. They plug your ear canal shut, so you can't hear much other than the music coming out of them. AFAIK there are no earbuds that actually have noise canceling. Noise canceling is a technology in actual big headphones where it will listen with a microphone and then generate frequencies to cancel out the sounds around you. It's completely different.

If anyone finds any earbuds that are cheaper than mine and also isolate just as well, let me know.
  • You are not going to find much that is less expensive. The equivalent product from Shure is over $200. Also, these earbuds are not noise canceling, they are isolation. They plug your ear canal shut, so you can't hear much other than the music coming out of them. AFAIK there are no earbuds that actually have noise canceling. Noise canceling is a technology in actual big headphones where it will listen with a microphone and then generate frequencies to cancel out the sounds around you. It's completely different.

If anyone finds any earbuds that are cheaper than mine and also isolate just as well, let me know.
    Are they uncomfortable at all? Shutting the ear canal sounds a bit painful.
  • edited July 2007
    This [provantage.com] is where I picked up my pair of 6i, much better then the retail price. They also come with multiple ear-plug attachments, so you can pick the ones that are best for your ear. I find that they are fairly comfortable if you put them in right and leave them there, as taking them out a lot can make your ear raw.
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • Any word of performance? I'd really like some but don't know whether the reduction would be sufficient.
  • Are they uncomfortable at all? Shutting the ear canal sounds a bit painful.
    It doesn't actually close your ear canal, it just plugs it to form a seal.

HOLY CRAP, I just discovered having something highlighted when you click quote only quotes that bit! That is made of win and awesome.
  • AFAIK there are no earbuds that actually have noise canceling.
    Philips makes them. They aren't good, though.
  • Performance is great with the ones I have. When I am flying, I have to put whatever I am listening to at the minimum volume possible (compared to the ear buds that come with an ipod, where I had to put it to the max just to hear over the engine noise). Actually, when plugged into the airline headphone jack, I have to keep my hand ready to pull the plug whenever the captain makes an announcement, as it generally does not respect the volume control and is way too loud. As expected, the headphones with no music in them work just like a good pair of ear plugs.
  • Initially, it does take a little getting used to. I have a pair of JVC marshmallows with E2 foam inserts. If you have money to spend, Shure and Etymotic are the brands to usually go for.
  • Circuit city currently has Shure Iso earbuds for $170. You have to add it to your cart to see the price.
  • Circuit city currently has Shure Iso earbuds for$170. You have to add it to your cart to see the price.
    The etymotics are $160 before any discounts.
  • edited July 2007
    It's tough to get decent noise-canceling buds in Canada - They're either shit, or they don't ship here.

/sigh

Edit: I found a place, but they don't have any in :(

Edit 2: Found a place - an independent music shop, but they're under the registered dealers on the official headphone site, so I think I will pick them up. 150 bucks CDN, but the shipping (for a 3 hour drive) is 14 bucks... Ouch.

Edit 3: So I was filling out my order form, information all that, and then I got a screen saying something along the lines of "Thanks, you're order is on the way!"

I didn't provide a method of payment... What the hell?
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • I just got my first pair of noise isolation earbuds as I'm taking the bus to work now and sit next to a really noisy marketing department. My new job has made it difficult for me to listen to music so I thought, "Hey! Now's the time to take Scrym's advice and get a pair."

They're amazing! I can't believe how quiet I can set the volume. It's funny because my breathing is the most distracting sound I hear! Thanks guys!
  • Wow...with prices like those that's a whole week of work. I probably wont get my hands on any until I'm out of college. Well this thread saved me time on shopping for some and getting shocked.
  • I listen to them for at least 20 hrs a week. I think it's worth the price for my ears (plus they really sound awesome). Depreciate the cost over a few years (if you take care of them) and it's fine. Also, once you get out of college it'll be more like 4-5 hours of work. ^_~
  • If anyone is looking for these still amazon has Etymotic Research ER6i and ER6 isolation earbuds discounted from 149 to between 75 and 80 dollars
  • Got mine for about 90 dollars on ebay uk. Waiting for them to get here as few places sell them over here.
  • What do you think of the ety8 in ear wireless ear phones?

I wonder how many people aren't buying these because they make you look weird.  The other down point is that  you have to charge them, but atleast it's via mini USB.  The sound quality shouldn't really be all that great either.
    The Shure in ear phones, profess to be of higher quality and thus find it fit to charge whatever you're willing to pay starting from $120 and up to $500.
    Earphones shouldn't cost more than $100 - 200 as far as I'm concerned, if you want better quality sound and are willing to pay more then it's best to get head phones.

• Got my ER.6i s today and thought the right headphone wasn't working until I swapped them over and the left one wasn't working. Turns out my right ear is pretty badly blocked; Ideas anyone?
  • Got my ER.6i s today and thought the right headphone wasn't working until I swapped them over and the left one wasn't working. Turns out my right ear is pretty badly blocked; Ideas anyone?
    Ew. They sell stuff at drugstores for that.
    Q-tip?
  • edited October 2007
    I think a liquid solution would be best as the earphones have already cleared out all the wax up to a safe distance.
    Damn these things win. I can barely hear the keyboard.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    Q-tip?
    Q-tips won't help for impacted wax; I actually have an issue with chronic impacted earwax, so I have a little experience here. You can get an irrigation kit at most any drug store; get a kit and some cotton balls and you're set. Use it in accordance with the directions and it should work pretty well.
  • Turns out my right ear is pretty badly blocked; Ideas anyone?British hygiene strikes again! ;)
  • edited October 2007
    Turns out my right ear is pretty badly blocked; Ideas anyone?
    British hygiene strikes again! ;)
    British people are generally pretty clean. It's the health system you have to watch out for.

I can now hear how crappy my 40 quid mp3 player is.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Customer service at this Etymotic place is ATTROCIOUS. They will NOT respond to any e-mails I've been sending. My earbuds were good, but went to crap immediately - bad batch , fine, whatever. I'd love to replace them, but they WILL NOT REPLY or answer their phone. *sigh*

Wasted money. Not that it's a bad product but damn, up the service.
  • Customer service at this Etymotic place is ATTROCIOUS. They will NOT respond to any e-mails I've been sending. My earbuds were good, but went to crap immediately - bad batch , fine, whatever. I'd love to replace them, but they WILL NOT REPLY or answer their phone. *sigh*

Wasted money. Not that it's a bad product but damn, up the service.
    They replied to me right away, and sent me free replacements years after my warranty was up. Is your e-mail filtering maybe?
  • edited October 2007
    I don't think that's the issue - but I'll give that a check anyway.

Edit: Negative. Not a filtering problem.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • They replied to me right away, and sent me free replacements years after my warranty was up. Is your e-mail filtering maybe?
    They haven't responded to me yet either...
  • Are you having issues, or merely being sarcastic?