This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Playstation 3 becomes cheaper/more profitable to buy?

edited July 2007 in Video Games
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4991881

Yesterday while looking through Digg I saw an artical on the PS3 starting to go down in prices already. Now it is still a bit too expensive when compared to the 360, and even with this "$100" price slash I still wouldn't get it yet. But then I saw a Fry's newspaper ad. (For people who don't live in Cali or don't have one close by Fry's is this kick ass store that has some good anime, computer hardware/software, and pretty much anything you can think of and it's usually pretty cheap too.) If you go to the link above you can see what I'm talking about but holy shit! For $599.99 at Fry's you get the ps3 plus 5 dvds. Now for me personally if I had the cash I would jump on this. But would anyone else?

Comments

• Still too much. For $600 I could get a DS Lite to replace my phat and also get oh, 15 or 16 DS games depending on how new they were.
  • Would you replace your DS phat with a DS Lite?

My daughter has the Lite and I have her old Phat. Aside from the fact that her screen is brighter (easier to play games when sunny outside) I have no desire to move to a DS Lite. I like having a GBA game in the second slot and the DS Lite has a shallow slot which results in the chip sticking out.
  • I like having a GBA game in the second slot and the DS Lite has a shallow slot which results in the chip sticking out.
    The sticking out doesn't bother me so much. Also, the DS Lite has superior buttons.
  • Still too much. For $600 I could get a DS Lite to replace my phat and also get oh, 15 or 16 DS games depending on how new they were.
    Well $600 is the price now, with the cut it'll be $500. Add in the fact that you get 5 free Blue-ray movies (until September I think,) I think that's a pretty nice deal. I was planning on eventually getting a PS3, and this price cut and Blue-ray deal certainly moves up my timeline, but now its really just a matter of me getting together the money to pay for it.

Also you have to remember that there is a $500 PS3 now, which will drop to $400 with the price cut, which could make it cheap enough for the average consumer. Especially since unlike the low-end 360, the low-end PS3 comes with a hard drive.
  • Well, I guess if you think Blu-ray movies are worth something. They could give me every single movie out on Blu-ray right now, and that wouldn't be any incentive. Also, last I heard they discontinued the low-end PS3. Was that not true?
  • edited July 2007
    Are there that many blue-ray DVDs that you would want to own? Since I joined NetFlix I have only purchased 4 DVDs. Before Netflix I purchased 4 a month.

Now, a DVD has to be real good (ala Lord of The Rings extended DVDs) for me to make the purchase.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Well, I guess if you think Blu-ray movies are worth something. They could give me every single movie out on Blu-ray right now, and that wouldn't be any incentive. Also, last I heard they discontinued the low-end PS3. Was that not true?
    EBgames still lists both on their site.

And, yeah the free Blue-ray movies aren't a huge incentive, especially since you can only pick from about 20 of them. But its better then not getting any movies. The $100 price drop is more of an incentive then the movies are, the movies are just a nice bonus.
  • Sonystyle.com took the 20GB unit off of their site - that's a rough sign. That's alright though, because if you bought it you're an idiot.
  • I wonder if the low end PS3 is going to be collectable one day.
  • I've been talking about getting a PS3 for months. If this price cut happens on 7/15, I'll probably be at the store to buy one. I love watching HD movies. Right now I'm using my 360's HD DVD drive. This morning I saw a red bar in the the light circle. I turned off the machine and rebooted it and it was fine, but I know it's just a matter of time. Even if I never use the 360 for gaming, it will still be a great Blu-Ray player. I don't want to give up HD movies for two weeks while I go through the 360 coffin dance with Microsoft.
  • edited July 2007
    PS3 needs to drop to a 400 dollar price tag then I'll think about it.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • Sorry, no gaming system is worth more than $200 to me. It's just the simple cost/benefit ratio. I could do too many other projects or make investments with that kind of cash. For $500 and a little bit of elbow grease, I could increase my property value by $1,200.
  • According to Engadget there will be the $500 one, which is the 60GB version that is out now. But Sony is also bringing a $600 80GB version of the PS3, but it comes with a copy of MotorStorm. So basically a $60 game, and an extra 20GB for $40. So I guess its not all that bad...
  • edited July 2007
    Now the PS2 is apparently being redesigned and slimmed down -- again -- which would suggest a possible price cut, too.

That Sony is putting such continued effort into a last-generation console certainly says a lot about the continued problems with the PS3.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited July 2007
    That Sony is putting such continued effort into a last-generation console certainly says a lot about the continued problems with the PS3.
    Actually it's because the PS2 still sells... a lot. I think last month it actually outsold the Xbox 360.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • But the XBox doesn't outsell the XBox 360. The Gamecube doesn't outsell the Wii. If the PS3 was everything it was meant to be, at a reasonable price, then the PS2 would be an obsolete console just like the rest of the last-gens.
  • I don't necessarily think that thats the case. All it shows is that the PS2 has a huge library of great games that people want to play. The PS3 is selling about as well as the PS2 did when it original was released, its just that the Wii (and to a lesser extent the 360) have been selling at a ridiculous pace for a new console. Its really unprecedented.

I think Sony design the PS3 perfectly for a console that they intend to have on the market for a while. It's very much future proof (at least for a few years more then the 360.) What is happening with the PS2 is what I think they are planning for the PS3, but unlike with the PS2 its actually planned this time.
  • Also what needs to happen is that Sony needs to get another big title game out soon. The games they have out now are either crap or you can buy them on the 360. Once the next Final Fantasy comes out then PS3 sales will be up significantly. But for now what they should also do is try to get out a new Guitar Hero or DDR sooner then later then you can attract that crowd of gamers. Either that or do something kick ass that neither the Wii or the 360 can pull off which it can........But at this point it's hard to see where Sony will go.
  • Sony's major issue right now is they push their sports games (whoopee)....and not much else. The next big game they're pushing is Ninja Gaiden Sigma....which is basically a port from the 360 with nothing new as far as I could tell from looking at it.
  • The problem with Sony coming out with a killer app for the PS3 is the fact that if you want to play it, you will have to drop $560 minimum to play that one game. Has anyone here ever found a game worth almost $600? If they packed it into a bundle with a $500 price tag on it, they would be closer, but you need to put out enough games that are REALLY good that any one person could say "those are the five game I am willing to buy this system for, in addition to the killer app that is packed in with the system."

I wouldn't have bought the XBox 360 if it hadn't had enough games either already out, or coming soon that I REALLY wanted to play.

Import Tuner Challenge (a TXR game renamed)
    Dead Rising (which I still don't have, but I lust after that game, and that is why it's on the list)
    Chrome Hounds
    Forza 2
    Gears of War (again, a game I don't have, but lust after)
    and Halo 3(I absolutely love the story so far, the novels are really good as well)

I can't look at the PS3 and see any games, not even ones coming down the road, that I MUST have. MGS4 isn't exclusive anymore, according to Konami, and FFXIII? It's not like I have anything invested in a continuing story, so I can live without another RPG sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
  • Just an issue with the title, but shouldn't it be cheaper/more affordable to buy? You don't make a profit when you purchase something.
  • edited July 2007
    you will have to drop $560 minimum to play that one game.
    That's always been the problem with console prices. $500 is just what you will pay to be able to spend more money on games. To have a PS3 with decent games, you're nearing $1000 pretty easily. To me, that's just not worth it. I have a cheap DS, and buy cheap used games a few months after they come out. I'm willing to spend $300 or so on gaming, but not $1000. Games just aren't that fun to me. For the same price, I could join the local country club and get a season's ski pass. But... I'm admittedly not a huge gamer.

Frankly, no kid should be spending that kind of money on video games. It's just absurd. If an adult wants to spend the money, so be it. But those are some screwy values for a 13 year old kid. (Oh, God, I sound old!)
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • You do realize that a PS2 and a DS are about the same price, and that well over 90% of the PS2 library can be had for under $20 a game, making the PS2 CHEAPER than the DS, right?
  • Sony's major issue right now is they push their sports games (whoopee)....and not much else. The next big game they're pushing is Ninja Gaiden Sigma....which is basically a port from the 360 with nothing new as far as I could tell from looking at it.
    Actually its a port of the original Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, not 360. I don't think it's coming to 360 at all. It's basically meant for people who never played that original Xbox game, aka everyone that owned/owns a PS2.
    I can't look at the PS3 and see any games, not even ones coming down the road, that I MUST have. MGS4 isn't exclusive anymore, according to Konami, and FFXIII? It's not like I have anything invested in a continuing story, so I can live without another RPG sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
    Well PS3 doesn't have any of its big games out yet, but there are ones coming down the road. Firstly, MGS4 will be PS3 exclusive like the others were on PS2. As in you'll see the director's cut of the game on 360, but that won't be for like a year and a half probably. Hideo Kojima is not the kind of guy to leave Sony after everything they've done for him.

And exclusive PS3 titles? How about these:
    Ratchet and Clank
    God of War
    Resistance
    Heavenly Sword
    Sly Cooper
    Gran Turismo
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • You do realize that a PS2 and a DS are about the same price, and that well over 90% of the PS2 library can be had for under $20 a game, making the PS2 CHEAPER than the DS, right?
    My bad... I meant to say the PS3. I think the PS2 is a great deal right now.
  • Again, remember the Blu-Ray player. Kids are not the only market for the PS3. I just recommended it to a guy who is 66. Blu Ray players are $500. Why not get the future ability to download movies too and gaming for your grandkids?

I'm buying one in the next week or so. Bestbuy.com had the reduced price today.
  • edited July 2007
    Lame
    Already have it on PS2
    Not interested
    Not interested
    Lame
    LAME
    Not interested

Don't forget Rrrrrrrrridge Rrrrracer! -_-
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Here is the form to get your free Blu-Ray movies when you buy a PS3.The way they position the choices is cruel.
    They must really not be marketing to me at all. I don't care about a single movie offered in that.
  • Here is the form to get your free Blu-Ray movies when you buy a PS3.The way they position the choices is cruel.
    They must really not be marketing to me at all. I don't care about a single movie offered in that.
    Indeed. They are SO trying to schill unwanted titles off as a "bonus."