This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What music do you like?

2»

Comments

• The main genre's of music I listen to are: Eurobeat/Super Eurobeat, Techno, Electronica, Jpop, Indie, and Classic Rock.
  • I enjoy mainly Baroque era music.

Bach, Vivaldi, Telemann(not as much), and some romantic composers - Lizst, Mendehlson, and contemporary - Shostakovich, and Phillip Glass.

I don't see anyone else here who likes classical, but is there anyone who hasn't posted yet that does?
  • I love classical. The soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice is amazing if you like that kinda thing.
  • How does everyone here categorize their music? Does anyone have a specific naming convention they employ? Which media players do we all use? I use Winamp 5.12 for all my music needs, and the CCC meets all my video concerns with the help of Media Player Classic.

I am retroactively updating all the ID3v2 tags in my collection and renaming the files to an Artist, Track Number, Title convention. Furthermore, I look forward to the joys of updating all of my MP3s to 192kbs if I ever get around to it. (I wonder if that ACC format is any good?).

I know nothing of programming, so I will have to admit that Winamp's Advanced Title Formatting is a baffling jumble of programming boolean to me, therefore the display I use I salvaged off the nets. I really wish I had the diligence to learn to employ my own method of labeling, that way the track titles would look just right. No worries there, this formula does the trick so far:

[%artist% - ][%album% - ]$if(%tracknumber%,''$num(%tracknumber%,2)'' ,)$if2(%title%,%filename%)
  • edited July 2007
    I like mostly punk, post-punk or indie rock, things like: Joy Division (probably my favorite band), New Order, Mogwai, Bauhaus, The Cure, The Clash, The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In, The Ramones, Radiohead, Sleater-Kinney, PJ Harvey, Husker Du, The Replacements, early R.E.M., The Smiths, etc.

I like some classic rock but mostly it's the big three (Beatles, Zeppelin, Stones).

I like folk and roots country (e.g Nick Drake, early Dylan, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Woody Guthrie).

I like classical but I mostly just listen to the classical station on the radio when I want to hear it so I don't know who performed songs I like that well.

I like some hip-hop/rap (e.g Ghostface Killah, Clipse, some Eminem, Kanye West, Mos Def, some Jay-Z).

I also like a lot of other stuff that doesn't fit these catagories
    The Beach Boys(my favorite band of all time bar none
    Have you ever listened to The Apples In Stereo or Olivia Tremor Control? They're basically the indie-rock Beach Boys. I'd also recommend the newest record by Panda Bear (really spacey and dubby but great vocal harmonies and melodies like the Beach Boys).
    Underworld (later nineties albums)
    Try Justice's newest record Cross or Isolee's Wearemonster album

Also, everybody who likes The Mars Volta, have you heard Omar's new soundtrack record? It's pretty good, basically it's Mars Volta with less vocals and a bit more mellow.
    Post edited by Pirons on
  • I really like Classical, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in my favorite genres category.
  • I like a few genres but my favorite bands are Bad Religion and Rise Against.
  • edited July 2007
    When it comes to genres rock, ska, anime, techno, J-pop, j-rock, and j-hiphop

When it comes to bands......

Mindless Self Indulgence, Suburban Legends, MC Chris, MC Lars, No Doubt, M-flo, Namie Amuro, Utade Hikaru, Gackt, System of a Down, Anna Tsuchiya, AAA, Uverworld, DragonForce, Queen and add in a ton of anime soundtracks too. Too many to list though.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I like...
    ...orchestral scores like the music from The Incredibles or the later Final Fantasy games.
    ...rock from Queen, Led Zeppelin, Gorrilaz, and Aerosmith.
    ..."Weird Al" Yankovic.
    ...assorted Disney music (both from movies and the theme parks).
    ...assorted anime opening and closing themes.
    ...music from Broadway shows and some operas.
  • edited July 2007
    Because I'm not so interested at specific genres I just say that I like to listen mostly rock. I also like a lot some little more heavy stuff, but when it goes to that singer is just groaning and singing sounds like barking, I don't like that. Althought I like non lyrical music, lyrics and singer means lot to me, but when it comes to music where singer is just singing to some boring beat, I don't like that.

I don't think I'll list my most favourite bands, because theyre mostly finnish ones that you have never heard of, but to mention some good non-finnish bands here are some:
    -Pearl Jam
    -Flogging Molly
    -The Desemberists
    -System of a Down
    -Iron Maiden (Tought Though I don't think that Iron Maiden is as great as many people say they are.)

And as a bonus I say that I like Jazz even ought though I don't have any Jazz on my computer or at my CD-shelve.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Apsu:

Iron Maiden is a very technically talented band (though not the most), but moreso than that, Iron Maiden is one of the most important bands of the last 20-ish years. Their influence is found in a lot of mainstream music today (and from years past), and a lot of the elements that made the band unique were responsible, in part, for the formation of an entire musical genre (power metal). However, I do have to admit that they suffer from the "unique sound" problem, where they tend to write a bunch of very similar-sounding songs.

Anyone who enjoys modern heavy metal of any kind should listen to Maiden, to at least hear some of where their music came from.

Also, everyone should listen to Manowar.
  • Lemme see... I like pretty much anything. But, my tastes have changed dramatically...

I used to make Mix CDs of awesome video game remixes off the Internet, usually from VG Mix or OCRemix, and they were usually of the Mario/Zelda songs (because no one really remixes Kirby songs...). Actaully, most of my burned CDs now are just filled with video game remixes... it's actually a bit weird.

After that, I listened to what most of my friends call "real music," which usually consisted of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and The Police (the only bands I really liked out of my dad's music collection). As I grew older, my taste in music grew wider. Right now I have anything from Allman Brothers Band to The White Stripes.