This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Glimp

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
I've done several experimental podcasts, trying to figure out what equipment to buy, what software I should use, what format the show should be in, and I've finally finished what I started. The Glimp is a show that's recorded Monday-Thursday+Saturday. Mondays are gamings, Tuesdays are mac, Wednesdays are tech, and Thursdays are movie reviews. Now I know what you're asking yourself. Ok great, it's another show with a guy talking to himself. Not exactly, it's done with Talkshoe.com, which has a client that allows hosts to bring in visitors who contribute through audio and text chat. It's great for having a co-host or just random people coming into the episode. So it's very diverse in subject matter and in the social atmosphere. To tune in, download the show through the RSS feed or in iTunes, and if you want more interactivity, come listen live. The show is on almost every evening at 11PM EST, so you won't have a problem getting in if you have a busy schedule.

Glimpcast.com
iTunes Link
Feed URL

And just to clear things up, I've been listening to Geeknights for a year and half now, and I have to give Rym and Scott credit as being a source of great inspiration to me. I remember when I first got my PSP and I downloaded the newest firmware so I could "view RSS feeds", whatever I thought that meant at the time, and I found Geeknights on the Yahoo Podcast Directory. That was a start to a wonderful new hobby, that I'm now heavily involved in.

Any reviews of the show in the iTunes Music Store would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• OK. I guess I can check this out. Why the heck not?
  • OMG you have an episode on Paris Hilton, I should slap you.
  • Well I like the intro, but you need more cowbell you know?
  • You could've edited out the part in the first mac episode, the part where your drug dealer calls you.
  • The notorious cowbell. Reminds me of "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult. I don't remember if that was part of the intro originally, but it's definitely there now. But you're right, that needs to be cut out a little bit. I'll try sliding over to the left side of the audio (Sterio L/R) to get more of the electric guitar.

I'm very open when it comes to my ideas and involvment with marijuana. I know Rym and Scott haven't tried it, or at least that's the message I got from one of their shows. But you're right, once again m16 elitist, that probably could have been cut from the show.

Here's the deal, I hate cigarettes and alcohol, and all the other illegal drugs, but I love that plant. It's in a completely different category, if you're trying to compare it to LSD, meth, cocaine, or heroine, which are all detrimental to your health and brain chemistry. Weed doesn't screw with your memory, neither does it damage your lungs. Part of that is because it doesn't contain the tar that cigarettes do, and because it's not something you do constantly.

For me, it's been a wonderful replacement for over-the-counter medicines. I remember when I got back from New York, I realized I caught a virus on the plane. So when I got home, I immediately smoked some cannabis and the coughing and the congestion just went away.

It's also a great remedy for ADD, which I have mild case of, and it slows your thought process down so you're not thinking a mile a minute. And we all know that many of us geeks/nerds have this, but it's just something that we have to control, and this is my way of doing that.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm sure it seems like that now, but I know people who have done it for a long time and one thing I notice they have in common is forgetting things and going on random tangents. It may seem to do the opposite as a short term effect, but from my observations it does damage long term. It's not dangerous by any means, but it kills most people's passion and want to learn more and do more. It's different for everyone though, I personally see no point to it, but it's your choice and there are much worse things. I should note that I don't believe in altering your state of mind. Also I'm sure you don't do it several times a day in which it would have long term negative effects.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • It's like fat people for example. In general, a lot of over-weight people are stupid. It's because they gorge over food and don't think about the long term effects. Does that mean we should stop eating food? No!

Same thing with dumb weed smokers, they smoke too much and don't spend enough time in the real world. It's true, too much of a good thing is bad.

And your arguments are all extremely common and merely a repeat of what the tube is telling you. Stop pulling information from drug commericials for god's sake.

About the "kill's most people's passion", wrong. I'm a big radio guy, and broadcasting is probably going to be my career. I do a podcast almost every night, on top of working at a shoe store. Just got out of high school, and going to college this fall. So that constantly brought up idea, that smoking marijuana kills your motivation in life, to learn, love, and live, is once again, bullshit.

And here's my guess, m16 elitest. You've just completed high school, or almost at the end, and that is where your observations come from. Secondary school blows, at least, in most places. I don't think anybody really wants to be stuck in a building all day. And it's true that weed can change your mindset on life. I totally agree, but not in a negative way. It's helped me to see that high school is just this big, inconvenient wall in your life, that everybody has to get over. Of course, there will be people who don't get over it, but I don't think it's because of weed.
  • edited July 2007
    If you actually read my last post I said I was basing my observations on people who have done it for a long time, which I mean over 10 years of constant use and you did agree with me so what makes you think my observations were on teenagers? I also did say that I don't personally believe in it, meaning my views could be critical. I also did say that I get the feeling you don't do it often, meaning you won't suffer the negative effects "dumb weed smokers" suffer from. Honestly if you read what I posted, the worst thing you should have gotten from it was don't be the stereotypical pot head who does nothing. One last observation I should have mentioned is most pot heads I have witnessed seem to ignore any studies that say anything bad about weed and write it off as "the man is lying to you," but whenever the study says something positive I hear "YOU SEE YOU SEE, IT IS GOOD FOR YOU." You also need to reword how you say things because saying that weed in no way kills your passion means that if I find one person who has lost motivation from smoking pot then you are wrong. Truth is you can't really trust any of the studies because both sides seem very biased. You do have to admit that the effects of being high are different for certain people so it really does vary. Oh and I didn't even bring up at first that I even cared that you smoke pot, I was only commenting on how professional it looks for you to take a break mid show to talk to your dealer, not something you'd hear on TWIT. One last thing, I don't watch T.V. because of the bull crap messages they try and send.
  • edited July 2007
    Now that that's over with I just wanted to let you know I'm trying to make you do anything or believe a certain way I was just giving my observations and views on marijuana use. Overall I think you have a good podcast and just was letting you know how it can improve. I hope you didn't think I was angry or aggressive in any way, I thought of our conversation as a friendly argument. I would like to let you know that you have the perfect voice for radio and I hope you continue the show, I bet it keeps improving over time. I just checked out talkshoe and didn't know that it was recorded live so I can't blame you for not editing that out.
  • edited July 2007
    To me it sounded like you completely disliked the idea of pot use, but it's glad to hear people respect the idea. That's the thing. I'm not trying to influence people into using pot. Ironically, a lot of the people I know just came up to me and asked for it. They even spent a long time thinking about it, because I seemed like the kinda kid who wouldn't be "low" enough to do pot. All I want is respect and I think I can say that for most weed smokers, all we want is peace, and legalization so we can do as we please. For some people it might not seem like a big deal that you can't use it, but some choose to use what's right in front of us. If we were just allowed the choice of whether to do it or not, then it would be fine. Everybody would get exactly what they want, and it'd be a win-win situation.

And I apologize if I seemed to bite back on your comments. It's just some of us, and I mean some, because most smokers aren't that vocal, would like the view of the stereotypical pothead to be removed from society. We're normal people, we just have a "magical" plant. ; )

The negative criticism was great, I'm glad I heard somebody else say that about the intro music and everything. Just remember, it was me getting defensive about the pot thing. Enough said.

But thanks for the help and I hope you continue listening to Geeknights AND The Glimp. Just think. You can have two spoonfuls of information on every topic, and then one on the weekend when things are busy. And I enjoyed our clash of beliefs. It reminds me of high school debate.

And join the show tonight because we're gonna talk about Harry Potter. Follow the "Listen Live" link.

Glimpcast.com

Tonight at 11PM EST, 10PM CST, and 8 PST.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • Wait. Glimp, can't you be arrested for this? I mean, openly speaking about using marijuana isn't exactly a smart thing to do in my books.
  • edited July 2007
    That's a good question. You can be arrested for it, but only if you're driving while you're under the influence of it, or you're caught in the posession of it. Otherwise, you can act normal and nobody will think anything of it. I get all phylisophical and happy. It's not like we all turn into Keanu Reeves while we're doing it. "Whoa dude! Look at that bird. I think it's talking to us." None of that going on. I'm almost totally normal. So it's very easy to conceal it. And seriously, my friends and I just sit on the my porch in a surburban area and just smoke it. Nobody cares. Actually, I stick weed in cigatrettes. It's easeir than rolling a joint, and nobody notices.

And for those who are fans of alcohol, do you think that people didn't drink during prohibition. Of course they did. It was against the law, but some people that are said to making sure it's followed, aren't really that into it. Cops usually just go after the red necks in my town. Drugs just wouldn't be suspected in my neighborhood. But really, is me smoking pot going to hurt anyone else. I'd say people become a lot nicer and more social when they're on it.

I've known some really inverted kids who just asked to smoke with me, and when they did, I saw who they actually were. Some just keep part of themselves inside, so pot brings out the coolness in everyone.
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • edited July 2007
    Glimp out of curiosity do you think that if it became legalized that it should still be illegal to drive while high? You did say that it slows down your thought process and it does sound you shouldn't drive while high. Again it could be different for some people and it does have a varying effect on people, but I personally think that altering your state of mind should never be done before driving. A small amount of caffeine may be an exception, but a large amount could be dangerous as well. I mean think about someone driving who has consumed six red bulls, I don't want someone shacking around on the steering wheel like they have Parkinson's. Lastly I'm usually considered among my friends as the "evil" person who feels that if someone wants to ruin his life by being addicted to heroin, let him. As long as it doesn't affect others let him, if he was dumb enough to try it even after a large portion of evidence shows that it can kill you by trying to quit, let them kill themselves. This has nothing to do with pot, just thought I'd bring it up.
  • That's a good question. You can be arrested for it, but only if you're driving while you're under the influence of it, or you're caught in the posession of it. Otherwise, you can act normal and nobody will think anything of it. I get all phylisophical and happy. It's not like we all turn into Keanu Reeves while we're doing it. "Whoa dude! Look at that bird. I think it's talking to us." None of that going on. I'm almost totally normal. So it's very easy to conceal it. And seriously, my friends and I just sit on the my porch in a surburban area and just smoke it. Nobody cares. Actually, I stick weed in cigatrettes. It's easeir than rolling a joint, and nobody notices.

And for those who are fans of alcohol, do you think that people didn't drink during prohibition. Of course they did. It was against the law, but some people that are said to making sure it's followed, aren't really that into it. Cops usually just go after the red necks in my town. Drugs just wouldn't be suspected in my neighborhood. But really, is me smoking pot going to hurt anyone else. I'd say people become a lot nicer and more social when they're on it.

I've known some really inverted kids who just asked to smoke with me, and when they did, I saw who they actually were. Some just keep part of themselves inside, so pot brings out the coolness in everyone.

I love your outlook on the plant, and yeah, you're right, not everyone pulls a Keanu.
    Anyways, I just wanted to say I couldn't have said it better. I will back you up 100%.

Me and a couple friends bake, then go play GH I & II, or Resident Evil 4. It truly isn't what people think.

And, we all do see the coolness within, break out, and flourish.
  • edited July 2007
    I also wanted to add, that if you haven't tried it, you really can't say it is bad for you. go smoke a bowl of Afghani Dreams, then come back and talk about it. XD
    Post edited by iSuck on
  • I like my lungs just how they are, thank you.
  • edited July 2007
    I don't care if people smoke pot, I just don't want to be "converted" by people who do. I don't wanna be pressured, just like I don't wanna listen to a Catholic tell me I'm an asshole and I should believe his religion. Just like the Catholics, if they respect my beliefs I think they are a good person. As long as you guys don't blow up government buildings to spread the message of the ganj or whatever I'm OK with you too. Oh and yes I have tried it and didn't like it big deal right, well the friend who I tried it with then says "oh you have to do it 5-10 times for it to be fun," talk about peer pressure. I did notice that when high Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider movies seemed funny and that's not a person I wanna be.
  • I could not agree with you more m16. There is no difference between religious zealots and what Gimp is selling.

Bravo
  • edited July 2007
    Whoa man. I'm not selling anything. Remember what I said? All I want is respect for me and others who smoke marijuana, ok? I'm not saying you should go smoke pot. That's your decision, and one you should take a lot of time answering. In other words, I don't care.

And just something funny that happened last night... I was sitting on my porch smoking a joint, and a cop car rolled by by. They were going pretty slow, but to them, I was smoking a ciggarette, or they just didn't care, because I wasn't driving.

Which brings up another issue. If people just smoke in their homes, cops really won't (and don't) give a shit. Cause really, you shouldn't be driving while you're stoned, but being in your home doesn't affect anyone but yourself, which is perfect.

Sorry m16 elitest. The guy who you smoked with was an idiot. He's probably one of those losers who smokes it, yeah, 5-10 times a day. I'm fine with doing it once. And it sounds like you found a very uncool person to do it with. Find some laid back, mellow people in college. I'm not saying smoke weed with those kinda people, just hang out with them.

I mean, god, I can't imagine how much weed Steve Jobs smoked. Crazy religious journeys to India. By the way, if you wan't to see a movie about Gates and Jobs, being played by by some damn good actors, check out "Pirates of Silicon Valley." Sorry to get off the subject of pot, but it's a really good film.

It's humorous, cause most of you are like, "oh, don't you dare try and get me to smoke weed." OMG! I'm not, and don't feel so special. All I'm doing is telling you what it's done for me.

For example, there are drugs out there for ADD like Stratera and Ritalin, that have been proven to damage your liver and kidneys, increase the risk of suicide among teens, and generally turn you into a zombie with no social motivation. Weed actually helps me cope with the disorder, and it has NO adverse effects that even come close to the magnitude of the perscriptions I've tried. So if you want reasons why it should be legal, and maybe just for medical use, there you go.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I wasn't saying you were preaching I was just giving examples of people. Also the reason I didn't like it wasn't because of the people, I got a headache and it hurt my eyes a lot. If I have no reason to do it again, I won't, even if some asshole "friend" says you didn't really get high. People like that need to fuck off.
  • I like my lungs just how they are, thank you.
    It doesn't damage your lungs.
  • I'm sure it doesn't harm them that much, but I can't see it helping. Probably nothing to cause damage really.
  • edited July 2007
    Well, if its a joint, you are still inhaling soot and ashes, really small amounts, perhaps with a water bong you can avoid that.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • 1) Smoking ANYTHING damages your lungs. The extent to which it does is probably less than cigarettes because you smoke less weed than cigarettes. But on the other hand, weed is not regulated, and you have no idea what kind of pesticides and shit (beyond the normal crap that's in a cigarette) you're putting into you. Some really whack stuff goes into drugs by some really whack (or just plain careless) people.

2) It's spelled Ritalin, and if you can't spell it than people should be loathe to trust your words of wisdom on its various side-effects, which you have apparently pulled directly out of your ass. Ritalin, and any other ADD drug, hasn't been in widespread use nearly long enough to determine conclusively whether there's long term side-effects (it's only been in mainstream use since the 90s). What's more, though it's not proof of any lack of consequences, in the drug's 50 or 60 year lifespan there's been no signs of long term effects yet. Increased suicide rates? Really? Come on, man...

People who proselytize about weed are the worst. Not that I'm denying anyone their vices, but I don't go around touting off how 'even' cigarettes make me feel, or the curative properties of Yuengling.
  • edited July 2007
    I also wanted to add, that if you haven't tried it, you really can't say it is bad for you. go smoke a bowl of Afghani Dreams, then come back and talk about it. XD
    No pressure? I find it humorous how I am being told to go do illegal drugs.

On another note, Dave ftw.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Dear God, what a thread this is. It starts as a shameless plug for a DIFFERENT podcast than GeekNights...and turns into a PSA for dope smoking. Maybe if all these posts were filled with a little less disinformation, misinformation, and conjecture, this thread could be worthy of the Anime Pulse forums.

Good gravy...WiP, is there anything that can be done about this? Does a shameless plug discussion constitute a breach of forum rules?
  • I did notice that I started this post at 4:20 pm mountain time.
  • Ok, so we're finally breaking some ground. The drugs probably don't hurt the user very much, if at all, so what's the big deal for cryin' outloud? The point is not to convert more people into potheads. I think I can say this for a lot of weed smokers, that keeping things on the down low is very important. The more people doing it, the more cops we have to deal with. So getting more people to do marijuana is far from a goal to current smokers.

Zeehat, the post from iSuck that you commented on isn't preassure at all. Peer preassure would be if the only niche in your high school was a group of hardcore pot smokers, and the requirement was to do it. Everyone has a choice, so stop taking every suggestion as trying to make you do something. Don't be so flattered.
  • Ok, this is getting completely pointless. I would like to point out however, I am fine with medical marijuana. Some people use it to help extreme pain. Street weed is illegal for a reason. I would also like to say that eventhough you state that there are people like you, who aren't potheads; I believe the vast majority of people doing it illegally are.
  • Gimp...you have a podcast...go to your own forums a espouse all this garbage.