This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I got something weird in my mail

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
Ok, this is creepy today I got a "letter"about how if I send a dollar to 6 different person and then I send 200 letters and my name at the end of a list I will eventually get 800 thousand dollars, the werid thing is that according to posibilitites eventually that might happen, they kind of explain their matematics in one of the pages the person send. It sound dumb but it would be and interesting experiment, I would post the pages but I am not sure how legit they are, It looks like begging but instead of being in one specific place you kind of are all over the USA.
Anyhow, have anyone of you ever got a letter like this and has anyone seen this on 20/20 and Oprah?

Comments

• edited July 2007
    Wow, do they still do that via US mail? I haven't heard of that in ages. I come across the retarded spam emails and forwards saying "If you send this in the next 20 minutes, you'll have good luck for the rest of your life.." or something along the lines of that BS. I personally hate that stuff. It's a waste of time, effort, and money.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • There are two options.  Does it ask you to send money anywhere? If it does, it's a Ponzi scheme.  If it doesn't, it's a chain letter.
    In other words, it's either a scam or dumb, respectively.
  • The maths is probably fine but the scenario makes all kinds of assumptions. It's a big fat scam. ;P Plus, posting 206 letters costs a whole lot, you know. :|
  • Not to mention the fact that it's illegal to send such a thing through the mail.
  • I can't believe there are still people out there who don't understand how dangerous these schemes are. A couple of weeks ago, my boss got very excited about an e-mail he received from the Nigerian government. I wanted to defenestrate him.
  • I can't believe there are still people out there who don't understand how dangerous these schemes are. A couple of weeks ago, my boss got very excited about an e-mail he received from the Nigerian government. I wanted to defenestrate him.
    For serious? Has he never had email before? :|

(...'Defenestrate' is an awesome word and needs to be used more often in regular conversation.)
  • I got one of those a week ago. Creepy.
  • This is what is known as a Pyramid Scheme. So far as I know, it is illegal to send these through the (US) mail. Can any of the lawyers back me up on this, or suggest where one might report this type of scheme?
  • My mother called me and was upset. A friend of hers sent her this chain letter:
    The President of Argentina received this picture and called it 'junk mail', 8 days later his son died.
    A man received this picture and immediately sent out copies...his surprise was winning the lottery.
    Alberto Martinez received this picture, gave it to his secretary to make copies but they forgot to
    distribute: she lost her job and he lost his family.

This picture is miraculous and sacred.
    Don't forget to forward this within 13 days to at least 20 people.
    Do Not Forget to forward and you will receive a huge surprise!!
    My mother is a Christian (and doesn't know I am an atheist), so this really upset her. I want to kick the living shit out of her friend now, because my mother is still in a panic from it.

What do you all think I should do about this?
  • That's an image of The Virgin of Guadalupe, as far as I know If your mother is Christian, and not Catholic this image shouldn't mean anything to her.
  • That's an image ofThe Virgin of Guadalupe, as far as I know If your mother is Christian, and not Catholic this image shouldn't mean anything to her.
    Wow, religion is hard. Glad I don't have to worry about that.
  • My dad got a letter like that in the mail either at home or at work. He brought it home, showed it to me and the rest of our family, we laughed about it, then threw it away.

It's definitely a scam. Granted, if you're only gonna be out 6 bucks, it's not really fucking you over a whole lot if you do choose to go for it.
  • Catholic is a subset of Christian.
  • I used to know people who were dumb enough to believe and do said things. Emphasis on used to.
  • Catholic is a subset of Christian.
    I thought that Christians, didn't believe in the Virgin. Either way whatever is in a chain letter, religious or not should no be take seriously
  • I thought that Christians, didn't believe in the Virgin.
    It's a central tenet of Christianity.
  • Where did you get the chart?
  • I'm going to have to keep that close to me from now on. Thanks
  • Where did you get the chart?
    I made it.
  • edited April 2008
    Where did you get the chart?
    I made it.
    Not bad. No Pentecostal? Just putting it out there. I know where it goes but I only noticed it being an ex one myself.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • There are thousands of protestant denominations. I could have added Pentacostal, Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Adventists, Calvinist, Reformed, Brethren, Restoration, Anglican, Congregational, Charismatic, Episcopal, Burghers, Christian Scientists, Church of the Nazarene, New Covenant, Dutch Reformed, Gideons, Menonite, Puritanism, Sabbatarians, United Zionists, Shakers, Salvation Army, New Thought....
  • There are thousands of protestant denominations. I could have added Pentacostal, Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Adventists, Calvinist, Reformed, Brethren, Restoration, Anglican, Congregational, Charismatic, Episcopal, Burghers, Christian Scientists, Church of the Nazarene, New Covenant, Dutch Reformed, Gideons, Menonite, Puritanism, Sabbatarians, United Zionists, Shakers, Salvation Army, New Thought....
    Damn. This world is overkill on the religions.

Salvation Army too? I just always thought of them as the thrift store chain.
  • Pentacostal, Presbyterian, Wesleyan, Adventists, Calvinist, Reformed, Brethren, Restoration, Anglican, Congregational, Charismatic, Episcopal, Burghers, Christian Scientists, Church of the Nazarene, New Covenant, Dutch Reformed, Gideons, Menonite, Puritanism, Sabbatarians, United Zionists, Shakers, Salvation Army, New Thought....
    I hope you didn't name all those off the top of your head. If you did, I'm sorry.
  • Salvation Army too? I just always thought of them as the thrift store chain.
    They go to poor starving people and give them bibles when they need food. They're a lot like Mother Teresa in this way. There is a public perception that these people do a lot of good, but really they are just religious nuts.
    They go to poor starving people and give them bibles when they need food. They're a lot like Mother Teresa in this way. There is a public perception that these people do a lot of good, but really they are just religious nuts.
    Aren't they most of the time?
    Sigh. They should just stick to their stores. Damn it. I see more non religious people help other better than the so called religious people! It pisses me off!
  • I keep getting those "we need an invisible third party to transfer money for us" emails. The idea is good, however getting involved can be lethal. I could easily steal all the money, but I want to live, so I just delete those e-mail whenever I get one.
  • I keep getting those "we need an invisible third party to transfer money for us" emails. The idea is good, however getting involved can be lethal. I could easily steal all the money, but I want to live, so I just delete those e-mail whenever I get one.
    You do realize that there is no money, right?
  • edited April 2008
    Oh hell, this is an old topic...nevermind.
    Post edited by Nuri on