This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Metal Gear Solid

edited July 2007 in Video Games
Are there any Metal Gear Solid fans on this forum? If so give a shout out so we can spread the love. I truly believe the combined MGS saga is one of the greatest stories in all of gaming.

Does anyone have any favorite/stand out moments, quotes, or characters?

Comments

• I have and love MGS 2 and 3, hoping to get my hands on the Gamecube revamp of the first one. Snake is just a great character, and while things are often....unrealistic when you're dealing with the big characters it gives the game a special kind of air. Also, one time I found some of the MGS2 music on a fan site(if I find it again I'll link) and burned it to a CD to play in the stereo while we closed the store...it was the BG music from when you're sneaking around and such. It was awesome and creepy, too.
  • Yeah MGS always had good music. Harry Gregson-Williams did the themes to 2 and 3.
  • My Terrorists skins on CS are the GRU Soldiers from MGS2. I love how good they look in game. I'm a diehard fan, but won't be playing the big '4' coming out soon. Heartbreaking, I know.
  • Haven't really played much Metal Gear since the original.
  • The MGS series is probably my favorite game series. I'll probably buy a PS3 just to play 4.

I think MGS3 is probably one of the best, if not the best, games of all time just because of how amazing the story is.
  • For someone who didn't follow the series can someone explain the whole Solid and Liquid snake thing for me...I'm slightly interested in this after seeing the latest trailer. Are they brothers or is one a clone or what?
  • edited July 2007
    MGS 1 was a pretty fantastic game, but it gets a bit long-winded and preachy towards the end.

I was down with MGS2 up until Ocelot starts doing the Evil Dead routine.

"I live on... through this hand!"

Really? This is a neear-future scifi spy thriller, and you're pulling out possessed hands on me?

Why is Jack's girlfriend calling him up in the middle of a firefight to complain about how they never cuddle after sex? Couldn't find a more appropriate time for that?

And the conspiracy story gets really ludicrous towards the end. A conspiracy that’s just a front for another conspiracy, made of the ghosts of dead US presidents? A crewless nuclear submarine that is designed to control and disseminate all electronic information in the world? Its a bit of a stretch.

I still haven't beaten MGS3 (that game is stupid hard on a small-screened TV), but I've yet to see any kind of nose-dive like in Sons of Liberty.

MGS4 looks groovy, but then so did MGS2. And the PS3 is a bit out of my price range. I'm not holding my breath.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
  • For someone who didn't follow the series can someone explain the whole Solid and Liquid snake thing for me...I'm slightly interested in this after seeing the latest trailer. Are they brothers or is one a clone or what?
    From Wikipedia:
    As revealed near the end of Metal Gear Solid, both Solid Snake and his nemesis, Liquid Snake, are actually clones of Big Boss created in the 70s from a secret government experiment known as the Les Enfants Terribles project (French for The Terrible Children). While recovering from a war injury, Big Boss' cell samples were extracted and then reproduced through analog cloning and the fictional Super Baby method. The cells were fertilized into an ovum, resulting in eight clone babies, and then planted into a surrogate mother. Six of the babies (later revealed to had only been five) were then intentionally aborted to encourage strong fetal growth with the remaining two (later found out to be three) clones: Solid and Liquid (and Solidus). Solid Snake was raised in the United States, while Liquid was adopted by the British government.
  • Thanks for the info.
  • I loooooved the sniper fight on MGS3, maybe it was just me but I really got into it.
  • I loooooved the sniper fight on MGS3, maybe it was just me but I really got into it.
    Yeah, I would be willing to say it was the best sniper battle in any game ever.

Rym/Scott, have you ever played any of the MGS games?
  • I am also a big fan of the MGS series. I have beat all the MGS games. I only played some of the first two MG games.
  • MGS is hands down my favorite series ever. I liked Raiden, I don't see why there's hate...
  • edited July 2007
    The MGS games are some of my favorites as well. Snake is the man, even more than Chuck Norris. Jack Bauer had to fight his way up to tie with Snake.

In fact, Snake is SO MUCH the man, I submit that he could hold his own against, and eventually beat, the Major. Of course, to appease you all, I'll be fair and say "he'd be really bloody and weak by the end of it, though." If you think of all the things that man (and his brothers and father, as they're all clones) has done (surviving multiple fights against tanks, destroying a Russian chopper with a stinger missile, diving off the top of an oil rig and swimming to shore, surviving the destruction of a tanker and successfully (and repeatedly) defeating a cyborg ninja, to name a few), he can easily survive a fight with the Major. Also, it is worth noting that Snake has effectively fought his exact physical equal to the death, not once, but twice. The only thing the Major could really do to him would be to get all up in his codecs and jack up his transmissions.
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • Favorite two games of all time for me.

1.MGS 3: Snake Eater.
    2.Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

So that answers your question.
  • MGS is hands down my favorite series ever. I liked Raiden, I don't see why there's hate...

I don't hate Raiden, but EVERYONE wanted to play as Snake for the WHOLE game...switching off to Raiden was a HUGE disappointment.
  • I liked SEEING Snake though - It was a change of pace and I liked the new perspective.
  • I too really like Metal gear solid series. I got first and second in my game shelf and I have cleared my friends copy of MGS 3.

I won't say that MGS is my favourite game series, but I really love it. Game-play, plot and humour all work in all three MGS games. I'd say that interesting bosses and boss fights and great humour are best things in any MSG game.

Oh, and somebody mentioned music. I'd like to say that I like them, but right now I can't remember anything else than the theme of first MGS, tough I still hym that now and then.

And few more good things in MGS games; replay value and lots of little details and funny stuff to find.

I tried to think something negative so I wouldn't post just praises, but I couldn't think anything bad worth of mentioning
  • edited July 2007
    I also don't mind playing Raiden over Snake in MGS 2: Sons of Liberty.
    Post edited by N15PCA on
  • From what I gather, MGS is a sneak around slitting throats and doing espionage. Am I a really ignorant n00b to say I love Splinter Cell and I simply think the series is fantastic, and therefore must be as good if not better?

I just bought a PS2 in May and have been looking for recommendations; have I been wrong to overlook all the old MGS games in the bargain bins on this preface?
  • From what I gather, MGS is a sneak around slitting throats and doing espionage. Am I a really ignorant n00b to say I love Splinter Cell and I simply think the series is fantastic, and therefore must be as good if not better? I just bought a PS2 in May and have been looking for recommendations; have I been wrong to overlook all the old MGS games in the bargain bins on this preface?

I love the Splinter Cell series, and cannot wait for Conviction to make it's way to the stores. But MGS is not at all about slitting throats. It's more along the lines of sneaking, and not getting caught by the enemy, be it KGB, GRU, or the US Military. If you have not tried the game, I highly recommend that you give it a try. It has a great story line In my opinion.
  • Conviction looks like a Splinter Cell I'll give a shit to play finally... Double Agent was fun for an hour, and I thought it would get me in to the series. Nope.

Harry Gregson Williams makes some badass tunes in MGS... BAD. ASS.
  • MGS 1 was a pretty fantastic game, but it gets a bit long-winded and preachy towards the end.

I was down with MGS2 up until Ocelot starts doing the Evil Dead routine.

"I live on... through this hand!"

Really? This is a neear-future scifi spy thriller, and you're pulling out possessedhandson me?
    I have a theory that I think basically explains why this happens, and why Ocelot/Liquid is how he is, so might be a little spoiler-ish so if you don't want them skip the post.

The important piece of information you need to know is that Ocelot is the Boss's son. His father is the Sorrow, who was the ghost in MGS3, but when alive was a spirit medium, and because of that could see the dead and communicate with them. Now with that information, its possibly that because of the spirit medium nature passed down from his father, Liquid was somehow able to activate the latent ability in him once Liquids arm was attached to Ocelot's body. And Liquid being of stronger will was able to completely posses and control him.
  • I still think that Major Zero taught Liquid while he was growing up before Metal Gear 1 went down. What do you guys think?
  • Hence the British accent! I see...

:D
  • Yeah, see what I mean? At first, I thought it was coincidence, but along came Snake Eater, and I recall something Major Zero said about training soldiers in the British Special Forces. I need some confirmation here.

• I just bought a PS2 in May and have been looking for recommendations; have I been wrong to overlook all the old MGS games in the bargain bins on this preface?
    Yes. Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence are two PS2 games everyone MUST own.

Yeah, see what I mean? At first, I thought it was coincidence, but along came Snake Eater, and I recall something Major Zero said about training soldiers in the British Special Forces. I need some confirmation here.

Holy cow! I really like this theory.
  • I've Done some researching, being the diehard fan I am. I came up with some other things, but it's most likely bogus.
    Oh, and in your post, you said Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance. You do mean MGS2 Subsistance? Or did you mean Snake Eater? Either way, all MGS games are must own.
    But you have to play them in a certain order to understand the storyline, or look up an online synopsis of each game. I recall there being a few for Gameboy, NES, and SNES as well. You are better off looking for the synopsis.
  • I've Done some researching, being the diehard fan I am. I came up with some other things, but it's most likely bogus.

Oh, and in your post, you said Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance. You do mean MGS2 Subsistance? Or did you mean Snake Eater? Either way, all MGS games are must own.But you have to play them in a certain order to understand the storyline, or look up an online synopsis of each game. I recall there being a few for Gameboy, NES, and SNES as well. You are better off looking for the synopsis.
    Well both of the PS2 games have a 'special edition' with some extras.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
  • edited July 2007
    EVA in the MGS 4. Life hasn’t been so kind to EVA in the looks department over the years.

Post edited by N15PCA on