This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best/Favorite (Non Anime) Animated Movie(s)

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
I would say the greatest animated film ever is the 1940 masterpiece that was Fantasia, but my favorite animated film is Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Comments

• Iron Giant
  • An American Tail is one of my top favorite films ever. The 1st sequel was cool too. All the other ones made after or near the 2000's are eww.

I would have chosen Little Nemo in Slumberland but I once heard that it was anime but not many think/know it is.
  • There are lots of awesome ones especially from Disney. Since I will probably miss a bunch if I try to do a "best of", I'll just say that I really like Aladdin.
  • edited August 2007
    Aladdin is one of my personal favorites, in fact it's number 5 on my top 5 favorite movies. (Behind Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, V for Vendetta, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.)
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I would say that the Simpson's Movie is in my top 5 :P
  • I really liked Titan A.E. Aladdin and Nightmare Before Christmas are up there too.

If you've never seen a movie called Where the Wind Blows, I'd recommend it.

As an aside, did anybody ever see Yellow Submarine? I remember that profoundly disturbed me when I was little.
  • I didn't like the Beatles until recently, so I absolutely hated Yellow Submarine.
  • Aladdin and the original Toy Story.
  • I always liked Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and the Lion King. Disney pwns all.
  • Most of the non-sequel/Black Cauldron Disney movies that i've seen are top-tier. Can't guarantee this past 2000, though . . .

I'd say Pixar's movies are right up there with the Disney ones.

Oh, and Nightmare Before Christmas rocks!
  • edited August 2007
    Aladdin and the original Toy Story.
    Wow I can't believe I forgot Toy Story! I used to be able to recite the whole movie when I was ten.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • No one mentions the South Park movie? really? Well it's in my top 5, maybe #1. The Simpsons Movie would also be in my top 5. Also the Incredibles.
  • Oh, and Nightmare Before Christmas rocks!

Word.
  • Les Triplettes de Belleville.
  • Pretty much any Pixar movie, other than Cars.
  • I'm split between Aladdin and Lion King.

(I rather liked Titan A.E., but the book ruined it a little for me because A) it was better since it also showed the Drej side of things which made it more interesting, and B) I read the book first)
  • I'll agree with Titan A.E. I really liked the world more so than the actual story; it is really too bad that future worlds as those in Firefly and Battlestar Galactica etc. are not more prevalent, however, based off of recent trends in media and pop-culture we'll probably be seeing much more of the down-to-earth future in the near future.

However, I think Ratatoui was a really amazing film, not so much for the substance (the story was pretty clever) but more because it was an amazing expose of graphical renderings, which really showed off the capabilities of modern studios. Take a closer look at the environment details if you see the movie again, they are very rewarding.
  • Iron Giant is incredible.
  • The Emperor's New Groove.
  • The Emperor's New Groove.
    Yes I forgot about that movie. I think it's one of the funnier more enjoyable Disney movies post Lion King. Kronk is brilliant.
  • The Secret of Nimh is by far my personal favorite.
  • The Jungle Book and although its not animated in the same sense Wallace and Grommit a Close Shave is a personal favorite.
    Why didn't you like Cars?
    Ratatoui
    It's actually spelled "Ratatouille".
    not animated in the same sense Wallace and Grommit a Close Shave is a personal favorite.
    It's still considered an animated movie, I said that Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite animated movie.
  • The Secret of Nimh is by far my personal favorite.
    I forgot that one too! I loved it so much. In fact really all of Don Bluths studios animated films I loved the most growing up. They did An American Tail, A Troll in Central Park, Thumbelina, Land Before Time, Rock a Doodle. All of which I would still watch today and share with the smaller gen of my family.

On their website I just found out they worked on Titan A.E and Anastasia. I didn't know that!
    Why didn't you like Cars?
    Just wasn't my favorite Pixar and I feel it was baisically made for the NASCAR peoples. I'm personally not a fan of NASCAR or really anything to do with it. Plus even though Larry the Cable Guy can be funny at times, his part was "meh". Just my feelings on it.
  • Rikki Tikki Tavi would be up there, but it's not a movie.

For now I think, The Incredibles and Nightmare Before Chistmas.
  • Rikki Tikki Tavi was awesome!
  • I do remember seeing a Rikki Tikki animation at some point during my childhood. I'm just posting this to remind myself to read about it on Wikipedia later.
  • edited August 2007
    It's a terrible, terrible adaptation, but I can't tell you the number of times that I watched the animated version of The Hobbit (and Lord of the Rings).

Anybody have an inexplicable feeling of warmth for The Brave Little Toaster?
    Post edited by Jason on

• Anybody have an inexplicable feeling of warmth for The Brave Little Toaster?
    YES! It was a very enjoyable animated movie. That movie made me feel bad everytime I cleaned and got rid of old stuff. I would think to myself that my stuff had feelings, and I would break their hearts if I threw them away. That made me keep them and ended up being a pack rat. That lasted a few years then I realized that I really don't need a lot of stuff, and they got sent to Goodwill.