This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you JUDGE intelligence?

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
How do you guys judge intelligence? Do you base it on creativity, grades in school, or their ability to question and think for oneself?  I personally base it on one's ability to think for one's self, because it doesn't matter if a person gets a 98% in Calculus if they believe in a sandal wearing hippy who lives up in the clouds.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    I personally base it on their ability to think for themselves because it doesn't matter if they get a 98% in Calculus if they believe in a sandle wearing hippy who lives up in the clouds.
    How about if they can start a discussion using proper spelling and grammar?

What you just said to me was "I think you're your smart if you agree with me." I'm pretty sure you can think for yourself and still come to the conclusion that you faithfully believe in something that has no logical or concrete evidence.  Agreeing with a community of people doesn't mean you aren't thinking for yourself . . .
    Please don't edit my posts for irony.
    Thank you,
    cosmicenema
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • edited August 2007
    I was just giving a reason why I base intelligence on the ability to think for yourself, and it's "you're" not "your." and You claimed my spelling and grammar was poor. Having unquestionable faith does mean you're a follower and therefore can't think for yourself.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2007
    I was just giving a reason why I base intelligence on the ability to think for yourself and it's "you're" not "your" and you claimed my spelling and grammar was bad.
    Hey, I was summarizing you. Heh.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Jesus, I didn't notice how bad my grammar really was. This is why I like Math more than English class.
  • Having unquestionable faith does mean you're a follower
    Unquestionable faith is the opposite of intelligence as far as I am concerned.  The moment a person stops questioning, the moment he takes any belief to be beyond reproach, he has forfeit the true pursuit of knowledge.
  • edited August 2007
    Having unquestionable faith does mean you're a follower

Unquestionablefaith is the opposite of intelligence as far as I am concerned.  The moment a person stops questioning, the moment he takes any belief to be beyond reproach, he has forfeit the true pursuit of knowledge.

No offense, but your conclusion sounds one sided. Is it possible for someone to utilize "unquestionable faith" and gain in knowledge? How about if someone uses unquestionable faith by doing something he/she believes? Is it possible they may gain more experience and hopefully intelligence in regards to the "something", in comparison to someone who doesn't utilize "unquestionable faith" in the something?

Now deciding what or when to put your unquestionable faith in something may be the deciding factor (and better reflect your conclusion), but that again, comes by utilizing the above formula.
    Post edited by bodtchboy on
  • How do you differentiate "unquestionable faith" from learned knowledge?

There are things that I had "unquestionable faith" in as a child and only later in life learned the knowledge required to prove those things to be true.
  • By unquestionable faith I mean you don't require any proof or evidence to have faith. Having faith based on knowledge acquired or proof or evidence found is not unquestionable.
  • Let’s get our Zen on:

What if the only unquestionable faith I have is in our inability to understand the purely objective universe in its entirety? It seems that having this perspective could lead to an assumption that you cannot make an assumption about anything or that no individual piece of knowledge is ultimately true in the ultimate sense.

In a practical sense, I think the way I judge individuals intelligence is in their honest and conscious effort to understand the limits of their own intelligence. Knowing when you don’t know something, or when you are wrong is vitally important. Putting efforts into solving problems and creating knowledge is also appreciated.
  • What if the knowledge provided is not 100% but you still believe it to be true?
  • What if the knowledge provided is not 100% but you still believe it to be true?What if human knowledge could never be 100% on anything?
  • edited August 2007
    If you have proven it even to be 1% true then it is not unquestionable faith. The only way it can be unquestionable is to ignore any proving or disproving of it to be true.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • I think the idea we're getting away from here is you must always question knowledge to be intelligent . . . no matter how much proof there is or isn't. Skepticism is the foundation of science and logic.
  • Took the words out of my mouth, thief.
  • Did I mention that being able to formulate a thought into a concise, grammatically correct sentence is also a sign of intelligence?
  • edited August 2007
    I've never been good at English and I don't plan on being a writer or a journalist so is there really a problem with me having bad grammar? I mean Einstein failed his University entrance exam in every subject besides Math and Science.
  • is there really a problem with me having bad grammar?The short answer is yes. We have to guess at what you actually mean. For example: what is an "elitest"? Also . . . Einstein did just fine in school. Always question what you know. Google helps.

I'm not trying to be mean here, just make sure we're all on the same page.
  • I've never been good at English and I don't plan on being a writer or a journalist so is there really a problem with me having bad grammar? I mean Einstein failed his University entrance exam in every subject besides Math and Science.
    Read the rules. If I had moderator status, there would be a lot more bloody red posts.
  • I assume that a large component in determining "intelligence" is contrasting a more academic intelligence to more of an instinctual intelligence. Some people master classes and grades, while some people have more street knowledge/common sense.
  • No belief should ever be above questioning.  Ever.
  • Nobelief should ever be above questioning. Ever.Except that one . . .
  • edited August 2007
    Einstein Facts
    It sights it's sources too and yes I do know that good grammar is enforced in this forum, and I am trying my best. It's not like I am actively disregarding grammar.
  • If you had read my post, it explained that Einstein failed his entrance exam because it was in French. Unless English is your second language, I fail to see the comparison.
  • edited August 2007
    My source says he did poor in the French portion of the exam and doesn't mention any of the other tests being in French, I might have a poor source though. The reason why I didn't read your post last time was because I received a 404 on the link, but it's up now.
  • Nobelief should ever be above questioning. Ever.

True. We question all things we believe in. If we believe in something, it's because we have questioned it, and found answers.
  • So, where do those who believe in global warming fall?
  • edited August 2007
    My source says he did poor in the French portion of the exam and doesn't mention any of the other tests being in French, I might have a poor source though. The reason why I didn't read your post last time was because I received a 404 on the link, but it's up now.Unless English is your second language, I fail to see the comparison.OK. I'm done with that hijack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • Having faith based on knowledge acquired or proof or evidence found is not unquestionable.
    Ugh. There is no such thing as evidence-based faith. Faith, by definition, is the belief that a premise is true without evidence and, quite often, in the face of contradictory evidence.
  • Einstein Facts
    It sights it's sources
    cites
  • I'm not having a good day.