This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym & Scott: Jerks, or regional variation? :)

Comments

• I have to agree, they are assholes.
    If Rym and Scott are assholes, then the worlds needs more assholes.
  • edited August 2007
    I think "jerk" is a little harsh. They are arrogant and self-centered for sure, but I don't think that they get any particular joy in making somebody else's life unpleasant.

Truth be told, I've lost a lot of interest in the show. The topic of the day often interests me, but most of the show is getting old. The show itself is still just as good as ever, but I feel like I "get it." There isn't anything terribly new and/or interesting to justify the time listening. I pretty much know what they have to say about any particular subject matter, so there's no point in hearing it every night.

I suppose that's the risk of doing a podcast 4 nights per week. It's a lot. Like I said, the show is still great. It's just that there becomes a time to move on. Fortunately, a steady influx of new listeners will always exist to be entertained.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Truth be told, I've lost a lot of interest in the show. The topic of the day often interests me, but most of the show is getting old. The show itself is still just as good as ever, but I feel like I "get it." There isn't anything terribly new and/or interesting to justify the time listening. I pretty much know what they have to say about any particular subject matter, so there's no point in hearing it every night.
    I totally hear that. I got the same feeling when I was listening to Penn Radio back in the day. It eventually felt like every show was the same as the last, and there was no reason to keep listening every day. Got any ideas on how we can spice it up?
  • edited August 2007
    Got any ideas on how we can spice it up?
    Not many. I think it's more a function of how many hours of the show are put out each week. This results in a quick learning curve for the listener. I find myself predicting with alarming accuracy what you guys will say about any given topic. It's like listening to friends, but it's creepy since I've got an IPod plugged into my ears and I'm not doing any talking.
    One suggestion would be to have frequent guests. I've never played an RPG in my life, but one of the most memorable episodes was when you interviewed Luke, the designer of Burning Wheel. His enthusiasm was infectious. Even if it's somebody who isn't as entertaining, it's nice to not be able to predict what somebody is going to say.
    I also like the bits involving outside people, such as last year's Otacon interviews where you asked people who directed the first anime, etc.
    Lastly, I think it's always a good idea to have somebody with differing viewpoints. You guys often disagree, but at the core you are fairly similar people. There isn't enough genuine debate. You usually both like an anime, or both hate it. The same can be said for board games, etc.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
    Frankly, I'd be more inclined to listen if the podcast was once a week for 1.5 hours. You could spend 20 minutes on tech, gaming and anime with some extra time for "things of the week", etc.

But... this is just the perspective of a veteran listener. As a new listener, I would have called my ideas heretical.

Anyway, thanks for asking for some constructive criticism/advice.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited August 2007
    Got any ideas on how we can spice it up?
    "Geeknights Fridays". XD
    Post edited by One Sin on
  • I wondered what happened to Kilarney.

For the past few months, if the main topic doesn't interest me, I'll stop listening after the Thing of the Day. I almost missed the Geek Byte on that Anime show doing that. There's no way I'm going to listen to a show about candy or zombies. That being said, GN is still the most compelling podcast I listen to. Fewer shows with better content is nice, but there's also something to be said for a show that covers what's happening right now. That's why I endure AOTS a few nights a week. Well, that and because I adore Olivia Munn.

More guests would be nice, but that's hard to do. It's especially hard when you're not getting paid to do it.
  • I have to admit that often times, lately at least, you guys kind of blend into my work background. You're like angry nerds that sit in the cubicle behind me arguing about fat people . . . which isn't all bad. I will continue to listen however because I learn things and I like the form (or rather the people that post here). I also like hearing about New York experiences . . . kind of a nice change of pace from my Midwestern daily experiences.

I would like to see people get interviewed on the show I think . . . and I have a hunch that, if you're willing to put forth the effort, you will get people to interview.
  • I wondered what happened to Kilarney.
    I wondered what happened to Thaed!
  • edited August 2007
    You nay-sayers are losers. I'm a die hard GeekNights listener ^_~
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • I'm still waiting for Thaed's Friday Night Party Line podcast to start back up! That used to be one of my favorites.
  • I lol at the people who say they hate Scott and Rym.
    If you hate them so fucking much, then why listen to
    their fucking podcast or join their fucking forums?
    To complain about how much you hate them? Not smart.
    Get a brain, really.

But, this is just all my /opinion./
    So back off.
    Pleasekaythanksbye.
  • Fellas, if you haven't noticed, that's being doneright now, but all you do is say, "Meh."
    Scottsays "meh." I'm a lot more active and attention-paying in politics than he is. I re-registered as a Democrat (despite my misgivings about the party) just so I could vote in their primaries, and I've donated money to my candidate. I walked in the giant NYC protest some years back, and I write my representatives in congress at least twice a year.

To the rest of you, I'm sorry if we hold our fellow humans to a higher standard than many of them are able or willing to attain. ^_~

See, the problem is, you keep holding people to our standard, and that's really just not fair. Nobody can really reach the FRC level except us. :p

• But, this is just all my /opinion./
    So back off.
    Pleasekaythanksbye. <3</p>
    Don't ya hate it when people give the "It's just my opinion so back off" bullshit?
  • You nay-sayers are losers. I'm a die hard GeekNights listener ^_~
    It's possible to like something and think that there are negatives to it. The two are not mutually exclusive. It's the thought that they ARE mutually exclusive that causes a lot of problems, in my opinion.
    Don't ya hate it when people give the "It's just my opinion so back off" bullshit?
    For some things, the "opinion defense" is fine. I'm willing to accept a worldview in which there are people who hate Eva, are opposed to gun control, or think that baseball is boring. However, opinion does NOT cover objective facts. If it can be proven, and you have an "opinion" that's opposite that, like saying Evolution is wrong, or that the moon landing didn't happen, then you're wrong. And maybe crazy.
  • What One Sin is talking about is people who say "Y'all are bunch of inbred homosexual faygits for having that opinion, but THAT'S JUST MY OPINION SO DON'T CRUCIFY ME OVER IT"

It's the long-hand version of "j/k".
  • I'm still waiting for Thaed's Friday Night Party Line podcast to start back up! That used to be one of my favorites.
    Kilarney, you made my day. I've actually been thinking about it and you may have pushed me over the edge to do it.
  • edited August 2007
    I have to agree, they are assholes.
    If Rym and Scott are assholes, then the worlds needs more assholes.
    You won't get any arguments from me on that. IMHO,the problem with most assholes out there is that they can't back up their words. I think that Scott and Rym can.
    Post edited by RedShirt on
    Kilarney, you made my day. I've actually been thinking about it and you may have pushed me over the edge to do it.
    Yeah, that was pretty fun to be on actually. Of course, it seems to be really fun to be on anyone else's podcast other than my own, no matter how crappy. I wonder why that is...
  • That is because Podcasters are born egotists.
  • edited December 2007
    I'm a lot more active and attention-paying in politics than he is.  I re-registered as a Democrat (despite my misgivings about the party)  just so I could vote in their primaries, and I've donated money to my candidate.  I walked in the giant NYC protest some years back, and I write my representatives in congress at least twice a year.
    Write more. I call and email mine every time I'm interested in a piece of legislation and that's pretty often. Since I'm fortunate enough to live here, I've even gone to their offices.

You also have a bully pulpit and hordes of admirers. If you said, even once, that it would be a good idea for everyone to get involved to the extent you have, you could have a tremendous impact.

Even if you thought that was too much to ask, if you would just ask your hordes to set aside their pokemons every now and then and pay attention, that would be great.

Everyone, we're currently experiencing interesting political times the likes of which have not been seen since Watergate. Iran/Contra and the S&L; scandal were minor compared to this.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • It's always seemed to me that yes, they are jerks sometimes (and that's their got-damn American right) but often they are simply brutally honest and blunt, which I at least regard as a different category.
  • edited December 2007
    I have just started listening to GeekNights this past month and I think I have listened to a fair amount. From what I can gather so far, Rym and Scot are jerks but they are justified jerks. I haven't heard anything yet that they didn't justify either with fact or logical thought out opinions. Perhaps it's just me but I don't think being a jerk is bad as long as it is warranted. If they were jerks for no reason, they wouldn't have half the listeners they do now.
    Post edited by LadyRelena on

• After all isn't the entire purpose of existence to extract the maximum enjoyment out of it for yourself?
    I agree, but I would also like to add "extract maximum enjoyment and give that feeling to as many others as you can while not harming your own enjoyment or theirs. (Aka: try not to hurt people substantially even if it makes your life better.)

Sweet merciful god, I was having a calm day, but this post reminded me of the most angry feelings I have ever had in a discussion.
    [Start rant]
    I was talking with a co-worker over the morals of criminal justice in the United States, (She is a Criminal Justice major also, so I felt the topic would be a great time.) while discussing if the punishment for Paris Hilton was justified or not . I submitted that it filled each of the morals judges should think about when deciding over a case. She told me that "Paris Hilton deserves to rot in jail for the rest of her life because she is, and always will be, a stupid fuck." Following this statement she stated how thats her opinion and I am an asshole for trying to tell her it's rediculous.
    Lets just say we didn't get along any more, and that was day 2 of a 6 month job which is finally coming to a close.
    [End Rant]
  • No offense, but your ex-friend sounds like she has a problem with a little friendly debating.
  • edited December 2007
    I must admit that while I really like the audio quality of the podcast Rym and Scott's attitudes about the world around them have put me off from listening more than once (even though in cases such as fat people or commuting I wholeheartedly agree). What upsets me more is that I find the podcast painful to listen to as two PRIVILEGED men can't stop spouting off about how their geek house is decked out and how they have no cares/responsibilities in the world while it's a daily struggle for me (and I'm sure several others) to earn my necessities. No offense to them but life isn't easy for every single person their age and even intelligent, well-meaning individuals just can't catch breaks the way they have. I won't go into this any more than I have to because no one here would want to read a "pity post", but I'm writing it to say that they need to drop the elitist persona or risk losing some of their audience.

I'll also echo a few of the above-written posts in that when I see a new show in the feed I already know what Scrym are going to say about it, know that they've had Visigoths over, know that all other humans can't hold a candle to their intelligence or stances on issues such as atheism, technology and geek culture...enough already! I'm planning on starting a podcast next month that caters to people like me who don't know crap about geek culture and ways to start, but I'm afraid that podcasters like Scrym would eat me and my listeners alive for even trying. Sheesh.

To close: they've been mildly entertaining for the past two years that I've been listening, however unless they drop the attitude of "we are gods among men" or use Skype to employ listener participation so that we (as listeners) can finally give dissenting opinions rather than have our heads filled with Scrym rhetoric then I (and I never thought that I would type this) can honestly see myself dropping GN from my iTunes directories at work and home and listening to D&J instead.
    Post edited by jwallace on
  • edited December 2007
    Everyone has triumphs and tragedies. R&S included. However, I would submit that a podcast that glorified failure or embraced the average would not be very good. Isn't that too much like real life? Would anyone listen to a show about how difficult it is to get out of bed in the morning?

Anyone who wants to be successful in podcasting or broadcasting is going to have to be at least a little larger than life.
    Post edited by Thaed on
  • ...use Skype to employ listener participation so that we (as listeners) can finally give dissenting opinions rather than have our heads filled with Scrym rhetoric...
    I'm curious what dissenting opinions you have that we've crossed so deeply. Should we make a daily dissension thread? Voice your anger in the daily episode threads! Call us out on specific opinions we've put forth! We're more than happy to debate. ;^)

If a dissenting opinion is interesting or thought-out enough, we'll usually bring it in as a GeekBack.
    I find the podcast painful to listen to as two PRIVILEGED men can't stop spouting off about how their geek house is decked out and how they have no cares/responsibilities in the world
    One, we don't even own an X-Box or an HDTV, so many geeks would consider us poor pretenders. Two, we simply don't talk about the bad or difficult parts of our lives on a daily basis. No one wants to hear about our real problems: they're not entertaining.

We only talk about aspects of our lives that in some way entertain. Power outage waking me up at four in the morning? Funny. Stepfather suffering massive brain injury and barely surviving an auto accident? Not nearly as entertaining.

The show mirrors our attitudes on life. Be proud of yourself and what you do. Don't dwell on the bad things that happen. Support your opinions.
  • One, we don't even own an X-Box or an HDTV, so many geeks would consider us poor pretenders. Two, we simply don't talk about the bad or difficult parts of our lives on a daily basis. No one wants to hear about our real problems: they're not entertaining.
    Yes, but you do talk about spending an ungodly amount of money for a desk chair and you have spent some small amount of time telling us how much in demand your skills, that you've doubled your income and expect it to double again soon (after a couple more iterations you'll have all the money in the world, won't you?), and that you have more exciting things to do and see than time in which to do them.

That's all well and good, but I can understand how someone for whom life is not a bed of roses could get "optimism-fatigue" from continually hearing how good things are for you.

Try putting in some of the bad things. They might help to humanize you to those of us who aren't so fortunate.
  • Ugh. I'm not so sure I want to hear about their overt misfortunes. It's there already if you listen closely enough. Scott has no love. Rym can't stay at one job for very long. Neither of them have any work ethic to speak of (lulz). Scott doesn't take showers on his days off. Rym has bad taste in cars.

To me, they are quite human.

• That's all well and good, but I can understand how someone for whom life is not a bed of roses could get "optimism-fatigue" from continually hearing how good things are for you.

Try putting in some of the bad things. They might help to humanize you to those of us who aren't so fortunate.
    I like to think that we lead by example, as in our how to not suck episodes. Anyone who is in a position in life where they have the ability to listen to podcasts on a regular basis is not someone who has a life of true hardship. Thus, it is possible for them to easily not suck. Change your attitude, increase your skills, increase your will-power. If you do these things, then you will not only talk about, but also feel, that your life is fantastic, even when it isn't.