This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Back To School

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
Well, here in Austin, school starts next Monday, and I'm ready for it. I've got my new "Gamer" T-shirt that has an NES controller on it, and a crap-load of new jeans (but the jeans are not crap, they are nice). I won't get the supply list until next week, because some of the different teachers need different things.

Also, I'm really excited to get into some of my new classes (maybe I got that awesome Web page Design class!), get into some of the old classes again (BAND!!!), and I'm ready to see all my friends again.

So I ask you fine people:

What is/was the first day of school like for you? (Any grade, but Middle school memories would be nice)
Are/Were you ever excited for school?
What are/were your favorite classes? Hated classes?

Comments

• 1. When I went from an English school to German it was very strange and odd.

2. I was at the English school.

3. I absolutely hate German school because I can not choose classes and the test are really hard. I also have no way to do ANY class on computers, so I do an after school class on Linux and one on Web Design. I also give guitar lessons. I have to go back to school on the 1. of September and I am all ready pissed. I'll just sit it out till college. ;)

I don't know if this is what you wanted because it is pretty specific.
  • Whoa, you can't choose classes?!?! That sucks.
    That sucks green horse bits.
  • I have to start school again too this monday. Where the hell the summer went!

College Is awesome and all but by the 3rd year it starts to be whatever. The feeling might go away once I see my school friends, meet new people and be with favorite clubs.

Hey ProX? Why ask for middle school memories that most? What grade are you in? You always seemed like a high schooler to me.

Anyway the first day of school in college was amazing! I didn't know anyone but I figured if I had my FMA shoulder bag someone would notice and voila! Plus if they had an anime or gamer tee I have an instant ice breaker. I met some friends in my first class because we were all anime fans and had lunch with some people they knew and spent an amazing first semester with otaku, gamers and a bunch of skater punks.

I was only excited for school when I transfer to a new one. At a new school no one knows you or the embarrassing crap that happened to you before. It's a freeking freah start!

I hate any class with math! I hate math with a vengence. I love any art, computer, music or writing class though.
  • Atlanta broke a shit ton of heat records the past few weeks. Band camp was a bitch.
  • Atlanta broke a shit ton of heat records the past few weeks. Band camp was a bitch.
    This week has broken all sorts of records in New York for being too damn cold in August. Got-damn!
  • There is no such thing as being too damn cold in August. It could stay this weather, rain and all, forever and I wouldn't complain one bit. Better than spending eight hours a day outside in hundred degree heat.
  • There is no such thing as being too damn cold in August. It could stay this weather, rain and all, forever and I wouldn't complain one bit. Better than spending eight hours a day outside in hundred degree heat.
    Fuckin' right.

We've had one whacked-out summer here in New York.

Least favorite class ever: Organic Chemistry in college. FUCK orgo chem.

If you like cold weather, move to San Francisco! I promise that it will never ever go above 90 degrees.  And it only gets up to 90 about once a year.

Also: School starts on Friday.  Not cool.  Why have it start on Friday? Just give us the damn weekend.
  • I start next Wednesday. And I haven't even started my summer reading books.
  • Summer reading books? Voluntary or mandatory?
  • edited August 2007
    Mandatory. I wouldn't be complaining if they were voluntary -_-
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Oh shits! I need to buy some more materials! School starts Monday for me (high school), but the college classes I'm taking have already started. By the way, concurrent enrollment is a bitch. Compare a 20 minute online form with 3 trips into San Francisco, placement tests, and hunting down administrators for signatures. I can't wait to be 18.

Also, I have to agree: San Francisco is cold, though today it was rather warm.
  • San Francisco is cold, though today it was rather warm.
    Warm yesterday.
  • I go back to school sometime in the beginning of September(I have no idea what the exact day is). I haven't even started on any of the summer reading and worksheets that are mandatory for my AP English class.
  • Even though I'm only taking four courses this semester, so many other things are gonna have me dead by November...
    -officer in two groups (volunteered as VP of anime club, drafted for PR in another club)
    -writing weekly tech columns and crap for the campus newspaper
    -working like ten-ish hours a week
  • School starts Monday, August 27. At 7:15. My flight from Seattle comes in at...6 a.m...Monday. Cheers
  • Hey ProX? Why ask for middle school memories that most? What grade are you in? You always seemed like a high schooler to me.
    Everyone thinks I'm older than I am. I wonder if that's a good or bad thing...

I will be going into 8th starting Monday (apparently the easiest cake-walk ever at my school).
    Summer reading books? Voluntary or mandatory?
    I have to do summer reading books, and write an essay connecting one of them to an article that discusses one of the themes of the book. And then I have to write a review for the other one, which I didn't like very much, so maybe I can write something really good!

And... they're mandatory. But that's ok, it's just crap-spewing! (that sounded really bad...)
  • I never did those summer reading assignments growing up. Plus the new teachers never collected them or cared. I guess schools are cracking down more or my schools were very lax.

Plus ProX....Whoa! Only 8th grade? You seem like a junior or senior in H.S. I a definite good thing so don't worry. Good luck.
  • I wish I had your luck. My teachers want them THAT MONDAY. Stupid grades.

Yeah, I'm surprised I haven't been shunned and deemed the "punk kid" yet. But the spelling and grammatical errors will kick in, and it will all go down hill from there...
  • Hmm.. 8th grade memories?? I remember getting excited for some "real" computer classes, not just learning, mechanografy (Is that spelled right??).
    I remember loving Physics and Chemistry classes and everyone else in the class hated me for that. Oh Oh, that was the year I won the science fair.
    Man I'm old stuff was much easier back then.
  • I wouldn't trade the present time for 8th grade time for a million dollars. Really I think the best parts were the soda fight at the 8th grader picnic and the 8th grade prom at the local country club. Everyday school life was a torture dungeon on the 5th level of hell.
  • San Francisco is cold, though today it was rather warm.
    Warm yesterday.
    Even warmer today. (I went into the city for fun, finally)

I remember 8th grade English was the best. it was 1/2 Shakespeare; 1/2 psychology. Lunches sucked, though. We only had about 15-20 minutes, so I could either eat or talk. I was a bit of a political junkie back then, so I'd mostly talk.
  • 8th grade was awesome.  Our teacher had no idea how to keep a class in order, and all my friends were in the same class as me (I went to a parochial school with 2 classes per grade).  It was really fun.  Plus we got to go to Disneyland...
  • I'm looking forward to going back to school on Monday. I'm going into senior year and I'm looking forward to those awesome senior perks.
  • 8th grade so far is sucking for me. My language arts teacher forces us to read a book a month, and she said I can't read Candide by Voltaire because she claims I won't be able to write a proper book report about it. My geometry teacher is nice, but we haven't really started doing anything at all in her class. Next is Spanish 2, which is alright, except for the loads of busy work that the teacher dishes out at us. Then there's American history class, which, like all social studies classes, is pretty boring. Band is pretty rad, because I'm the head percussionist. Science is alright, and our teacher is awesome, but that's about it.
  • I can't wait to get into Science and English again! It always freaked out my 7th grade teacher when I would write about serial killers. And My Science teacher was awesome, though a bit perverted. He made a bit of jokes in Sex Ed.
  • I can't wait to get into Science and English again! It always freaked out my 7th grade teacher when I would write about serial killers. And My Science teacher was awesome, though a bit perverted. He made a bit of jokes in Sex Ed.
    All my teachers are old women. Except for in band class.
  • edited August 2007
    Most of mine were dudes. Except for Band, French, and Math.

Man, I do NOT wanna go back to French...
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • School time is here once again. I have but one more day of summer. The "good" news is that this is my last mandatory year of school. Yay for me.