This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Instruments

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
Ok, last new topic for the day... :P

So, as I might have hinted in my other topic about going back to school, I'm in the school band. I love the band very much, because we'd never be able to play awesome songs like Brickhouse and the Super Mario Bros. Theme (although I figured that out on my own with some friends) or Ironman. What could make these songs so cool? Well, I play the Flute, and Ironman sounds awesome/hilarious on it. It's almost like if you some some rocking song on the accordion, you just don't expect it!

Along with that, I can (sorta) play the piano, and I'll be taking lessons during the school year, if the divorce gets done and the house gets sold. But that is not the point. I might learn to play things besides Clocks and Speed of Sound! :D

I also really really really wanna play the Bass Flute, because it looks so impossible to play. I might even get the girls with it! (yeah right)

So, do you guys play any instruments?
Any you really wanna play?

Comments

• I play the string bass and electric bass ftw.

• Can you find me? I play mello.

/It is possible
  • edited August 2007
    I didn't know that there was a Bass flute. I used to play a flute in 10th grade. With woodwinds when you start out you get headaches from all the blowing. It was hard at first but then I got used to it. I got to intermediate status and quickly became the best in the school. Plus Istarted the orchestra even though I was a newbie. It was an obsession of mine for a year or so. Ah! There are some great memories from the pre-otaku days. ^_^

I was actually forced to play flute. I really wanted to play the saxsephone. Kinda sounds like a shojo manga plot. LOL

ProX, you really digging up some of those memories. Now I want to conquer a guitar! I seen one in the local shop and never had the cash. I want it!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I know how play the guitar,bass,piano and violin(first instrument I learned to play actually, then switched to guitar.)
  • I used to play violin and have been looking to pick up the bass guitar.
  • WiP, we've got to meet at one of the Tech games. I'll be conducting the alumni band @ homecoming. Come find me.
  • Can you find me? I play mello.

/It is possible
    You're the guy in white, right?

/I never get tired of that joke
  • edited August 2007
    I would suggest the saxophone. It's cool. It's highly portable. It's an iconic jazz and rock instrument. And, oddly enough from what I hear, the fingering schemes can be reminiscent of the flute.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I didn't know that there was a Bass flute. I used to play a flute in 10th grade. With woodwinds when you start out you get headaches from all the blowing. It was hard at first but then I got used to it. I got to intermediate status and quickly became the best in the school. Plus Istarted the orchestra even though I was a newbie. It was an obsession of mine for a year or so. Ah! There are some great memories from the pre-otaku days. ^_^

I was actually foced to play flute. I really wanted to play the saxsephone. Kinda sounds like a shojo manga plot. LOL

ProX, you really digging up some of those memories. Now I want to conquer a guitar! I seen one in the local shop and never had the cash. I want it!
    Well, there is a Bass Flute, and it looks freakin' AWESOME!!! I think that's the only reason why I wanna play it. That and because it's low, and I like the lower octaves.

I couldn't play anything else but the Flute, and I guess that's a good thing. I woulda never learned to play the Legend Of Zelda Theme and Super Mario Bros. Theme for the class! (I had to do a solo...)

And I guess you could say I'm one of the best at school, but because of my lack of interest in the songs they hand out, I just don't wannna play so it sounds bad, therefor the teachers think I'm "not as good" as I could be.
  • I played the clarinet throughout middle school and through 2 years of high school. I really enjoyed playing, however I stopped because I really disliked the band teacher in high school. I also wanted to play a stringed instrument like the violin and cello, but that will more than likely not happen.
  • edited August 2007
    I played violin for 10 years from elementary school to high school on a very regular basis and was fourth seat first violin at my best (we had some very good and competitive violinists in our school). After that without any regular orchestra time my practice schedule over the past six years has been inconsistent at best. That being said I can still play very well and after my violin was fixed up I might actually get back into it again. ^_^
    Post edited by Dr. Zibbelcoot PhD on
  • I really enjoy Violin and Cello and those related instruments, but whenever someone brings up the Orchestra or Band, the "Orch-Dorks" (the players that suck) are always like "OMG!!! We're da shyt!" It gets very annoying very quickly. Trumpets think they're godly as well. That's why I'm talking my band director into giving the Flutes a few more solos.
  • It feels so good to be playing an instrument again. The main reason I had stopped playing the violin was that I hated the school's music teacher, but I didn't realize how much I missed it after it was gone.

Now, looking behind me at my room, I have an electric bass, an acoustic bass, an acoustic guitar, and an unstrung 3/4 scale acoustic guitar. God, I've missed this so much. Now, if I could only get a few djembes in here, I'd be all set...
  • Just the guitar in all 3 variations, Electric, Acoustic and a mean Air guitar.
  • I've been playing percussion (drum set, xylophone, snare, etc.) for a number of years, and recently took up teaching myself how to play the guitar.
  • I find that playing the guitar/ piano help me switch off. So I can understand how you feel.. ;)
  • I used to play the flute and plan on eventually picking it up again. Currently I play the piano. As for instruments I want to play, well almost everything. I love music so the more instruments the better.
  • I played the clarinet for around half a year, but stopped.
  • edited February 2010
    Should I get a melodica? y/y

Post edited by Sail on
  • Should I get a melodica? y/y
    Do you really have to ask?
  • I play the trumpet in my High School band. I wish I could play drums, saxophone, guitar, and bass. But I am pretty satisfied with my trumpet skills. Now that I have my braces off, I can generally hit A's, B's, and C's above the staff on command, at least until I get tired.
  • Used to have a melodica, years ago, but it broke. I've been meaning to buy a new one for years, but have been concentrating on other things.
  • I'm going to start re-learning how to play the clarinet as so that I can be in marching band next year and will also get a bass guitar over the summer.
  • I play guitar, bass, drums, and just a little piano. I want to play the harp, though, after seeing a fantastic cover of the "Trooper" by Iron Maiden on it.
  • edited February 2010
    After the recent TED Talk, I'm seriously considering buying a ukulele, and then making the jump from that to mandolin over the summer.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • After the recent TED Talk, I'm seriously considering buying a ukulele, and then making the jump from that to mandolin over the summer.
    I have a friend that plays both of them, plus guitar, clarinet, and saxophone.
  • Clarinet, now I can play "Ode to Joy" :P
  • Depending on the price, I might buy a melodica. However, No matter the price, next semester, I'm Buying A Keytar!
  • However, No matter the price, next semester, I'm Buying A Keytar!
    Keytars are serious business.
  • I used to play a Celtic harp and the french horn. I quit the french horn because my instructor said my mouth was shaped incorrectly for the instrument and I sold my harp to pay for operatic voice lessons from the Eastman School of Music.